2 replies to this topic

#1 DriftRazor

DriftRazor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 12:11 PM

Afternoon all,

I've recently acquired my dad's 1996 Subaru Impeza EJ16. He's had the car since new and I remember even when driving it back in the day, the clutch was difficult as it was quite light in feel. At that time I thought it may have been due to the vehicle having dual controls - driving school car. However we've recently removed the dual controls and the clutch pedal feel is still unpleasant and light.

For example when taking off through friction point, the pedal feels as though it slightly sticks/tightens right before friction point so as you take a bit of pressure off the pedal it then lightly jumps into friction point. I'm an experienced driver however have already done a hill-start chirp.

The clutch is in good condition. To increase pedal feel, is there a heavier duty torsion spring to upgrade in the clutch pedal assembly? Or would adding a firmer spring on the clutch fork return, add any kind of firmer feel to the pedal instead of it being so light?

FYI it's the cable clutch, not the hydraulic setup.

Cheers.

#2 El_Freddo

El_Freddo

Rock'n the old Skool

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,236 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4wd'n Subarus, travelling Subarus, Tinkering... I could go on!

Posted 23 February 2020 - 04:15 PM

Easiest would be to add a spring at the clutch fork. If that doesn’t work, then try playing with the pedal spring. Thinking about it I’m not sure there is a pedal spring on the clutch pedal.

A new clutch cable *could* help with the issue too. But I reckon that’s a long shot.

Cheers

Bennie
"The lounge room is not a workshop..."
https://www.imageshack.us/i/po1BKrxbj
1BKrxb.jpg
El Freddo's Pics    -    El_Freddo's youtube

#3 DriftRazor

DriftRazor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 10:33 PM

Easiest would be to add a spring at the clutch fork. If that doesnt work, then try playing with the pedal spring. Thinking about it Im not sure there is a pedal spring on the clutch pedal.

A new clutch cable *could* help with the issue too. But I reckon thats a long shot.

Cheers

Bennie

I'll try an additional spring at the fork, cheers.

Yeah there is a torsion spring (V style) in the clutch pedal.

Cheers mate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users