17 replies to this topic

#1 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 08:07 PM

Hi all so I have done a engine swap in my 2004 Subaru liberty the new engine came out of a 2007 liberty. The guy left all sensors and wiring harness on the new engine for me so I just dropped it in bolted it up to wh gearbox and cross member hooked up all electrical plugs and vacume lines. When I turn it over it won't start and I'm getting the P0340 camshaft position sensor A circuit Bank 1 or single sensor and P0345 camshaft position sensor A circuit Bank 2 fault codes I have replaced both cam sensors but still getting the same codes on my scan tool after cleaning them any help would be great thanks

#2 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 03 August 2023 - 08:29 PM

Will need to change the cam and crank wheels over if H4 and the same equivalent will need to be swapped as well for the H6, but I'm not familiar with how the H6 picks up those signals. They change the pickup points by generation for some reason, meaning the ECU has no idea what point in the rotation the engine is in, so it's not firing the spark at the right spots.

Sorry to be a downer, swapping revisions on engines is a pain in the neck because of this. It's doable, but it's not just a drop in and go situation.

Sorry I can't give good news man!

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#3 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 08:54 PM

Both engines are h6 engines so wouldn't they be the same setup

#4 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 09:07 PM

So what actually needs to be swapped from the old engine to the new one to make it run I've never seen this or had it happen so not sure exactly what I need to swap exactly I was gonna swap the wiring harness over I thought it may have been pinned differently but not sure what else I need to actually change over.

#5 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 03 August 2023 - 09:41 PM

04 will be pre canbus and 07 will be can bus. My memory of someones Facebook journey years ago tells me the can be converted though. I'd start with all the sensors and wiring loom off the old engine onto the new one though

I hope for your sake you don't need to swap the cams or crank triggers

tIeW8DE.png

#6 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 09:51 PM

Ok thanks and me too I'll swap all the sensors over and wiring loom and see what happens.

#7 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 09:56 PM

I know both engines are the ez30 I checked that out if that helps

#8 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,058 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 03 August 2023 - 10:11 PM

I know both engines are the ez30 I checked that out if that helps

Sorry but that doesnt help.

I think pre and post face gen4 H6 are different in regards to cam avcs, will need to ask my H6 mates.

#9 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 10:15 PM

Ok mate thanks when you find out can you let me know please so I can work out what I need to do

#10 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 11:34 PM

So I've been speaking to the guy I got the engine off he said he thinks he still has the ecu if I get that is will that work or what else will I need off him

#11 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 03 August 2023 - 11:51 PM

Getting the ecu will just make problems worse dude. In this case, what was damaged with your old engine?

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#12 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 12:13 AM

Blown head gasket has been blown for about 7 years but it only sept a bit of oil so wasn't a drama but then it started leaking water from the heads as well and over heating

#13 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 12:20 AM

What confuses me is that when I try and look up if there are differences I can't find any only thing I can find is there is a 3 litre and a 3.6 lite both mine are 3 litres I can't seem to find anything else even when I look at buying another engine it says h6 3 litre fits 03 to 09 year models so I don't know what else to do

#14 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 07:53 AM

What I'd advise then is to pull the heads, manifolds and accessories off the new motor and put your old ones on the new motor with new head gaskets. It's a bit of work, but at least if you do it right, you should be good for another 2 to 300 thousand km. You've got 90% of the bits now, presumably all you should need is a couple of random gaskets and the replacement head gaskets themselves.

You MIGHT be able to get away with just swapping your old manifolds and accessories onto the new long motor, but as Simon has mentioned, there may be cam differences.

#15 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 09:27 AM

04 should be "30R". Subaru never officially renamed them from the gen 3 to gen 4 so they are all 30D. But plastic manifold ones are known to the community as 30R.

ECU wont help as its coded to the car and will be facelift

tIeW8DE.png

#16 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 11:12 AM

Yeah both engines have the black plastic manifolds I'll swap over the manifolds and sensors and wiring harness today and see what happens.cheers for the info guys I will let you know how it goes.

#17 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,456 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 02:55 PM

If that doesnt work the club.liberty.asn facebook group is gonna be your best bet

tIeW8DE.png

#18 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 04:33 PM

So she's running now but throwing the p0333 knock sensor 2 circuit high bank 2 code and running a little raugh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users