4 replies to this topic

#1 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 02:28 PM

Hi all I've finally got my car running again after some troubles replacing the engine I'm up to bleeding the power steering it's a 2004 Subaru liberty h6 3 litre could someone here tell me the correct procedure to bleed it properly please.

#2 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 02:39 PM

fill it with fluid, rack the steering back and forth lock to lock and top up fluid as required until the funny noises go away?

That's the way pretty much all systems are bled, afaik.

#3 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 03:51 PM

Yea that's what I thought so I jacked the front wheels off the ground topped up the resivour turned it lock to lock (engine off) bout 5 times lock to lock topping it up as it went down then started it up and done it it's making a loud noise and the fluid in the resivour is bubbling and bubbles over.

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 05 August 2023 - 09:32 PM

The O ring at the pumps suction inlet can fail and cause air to be drawn in, making the system noisy.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#5 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 11:18 PM

Yea that's what I thought so I jacked the front wheels off the ground topped up the resivour turned it lock to lock (engine off) bout 5 times lock to lock topping it up as it went down then started it up and done it it's making a loud noise and the fluid in the resivour is bubbling and bubbles over.

repeat the process with engine running - if that fails, then as RX25SE says, there's probably a leak somewhere and air is getting in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users