11 replies to this topic

#1 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 September 2023 - 08:25 PM

Hi all I recently replaced my engine in my 2004 Subaru liberty it has the h6 3 litre in it it's running very well now I just have to replace my AC condenser as mine is buggered and then get the AC regased asbi also replaced my compressor during the engine swap. My issue I'm having at the moment is when I have my heater on the driver's side vents get warm but the passenger sides stey cold just wondering what are some things that can cause that issue ? If there's still any air in the cooling system can that cause it or would it be something else to look for ? Any help would be great thanks.

#2 Barbbachello

Barbbachello

Touring Bruce

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,457 posts
  • Interests:Docking

Posted 12 September 2023 - 10:01 AM

Sounds more like a failed blend door or something in the fan box

tIeW8DE.png

#3 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 12 September 2023 - 12:08 PM

yeh - does air even come out of the passenger side vents?  Try flicking the mode (face/foot/screen etc) and note what happens.

Note that:

• All the hot/cold air comes from the same fan and box
  • All the zone face/defrost/foot selection is common to both sides of the car

So its some problem with the distribution of that air afterwards - ducts and vents from the heater/ac box onwards.

Have you had the dash out? Did a duct get blocked or not hooked up properly? Is there a dead mouse or nest in the passenger side vent?

#4 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 September 2023 - 06:45 PM

Air comes out of the passenger side vents both vents but it's cold air only no hot air comes out of them where as the driver's side vents get both cold and hot air depending on what temperature it's on

#5 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 12 September 2023 - 08:13 PM

Definitely sounds like the zone motor has failed, or something is blocking it. Can you still switch between demist/feet/head?

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#6 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 September 2023 - 08:31 PM

Yeah all that works everything seems to work fine fan speed and all the different vents Feet face windscreen.

#7 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 12 September 2023 - 09:17 PM

Not much you can really do besides either pull it to bits, run through the diagnostics section of the FSM, or start replacing bits. As Nick has said, possible failed blend motor, or one of the other various motorised doors in the system. Ive found the diagnostics part of the manuals pretty easy to pin point issues.

Is this a dual zone system or single zone? If its dual zone, imma put money on the passenger side blend motor.
Also, if you've replaced components with dual zone bits, that will do it, the single zone controller wont know what to do with the extra blend motor.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#8 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 12 September 2023 - 09:32 PM

Not it is single Zoe unit and haven't replaced anything like that only the engine as it had a blown head gasket.

#9 Beckers

Beckers

OMAR Cubt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
  • Interests:Docking and eating dry meat, Living lyf in the TT VOD

Posted 13 September 2023 - 12:19 AM

Not it is single Zoe unit and haven't replaced anything like that only the engine as it had a blown head gasket.

It's very common on gen4 for these blend motors to fall.

As above check these for correct operation.

#10 duncanm

duncanm

wha' who ?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 07:32 AM

ah - gen4 zones.. there you go.

#11 Dylan720

Dylan720

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 10:05 AM

Ok thanks where abouts is it located I've done a research online but can't seem to find much about it and is there a way to test them ?

#12 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 13 September 2023 - 10:26 AM

Find a copy of the FSM and use that to fault find. Last gen3 one I got from Subaru was 78 bucks, was a PDF file on a CD, or you can find them on a few different places online if you search.

Cheers,
Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users