• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:22 AM

just wondering what air filters people use with their CAI? as the one supplied is an oiled foam type but I've read numerous post bout how oiled filters f@ck the AFM... sooo my question is should I bother putting the foam one that was supplied on or is that just asking for trouble?? or would I be better off buying a dry type pod or something? (any suggestions brand/type etc.?) Cheers guys, Josh

#2 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

Best to get a dry-type filter; althoi've heard some still use the K&N and their AFM are ok. I've got an apexi pod which comes with the adapter for the AFM.

#3 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:52 AM

Where can i buy just the Afm meter adapter for the B4? Cause i have a couple of Pods laying around at home

#4 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:56 AM

Well you can get them from Autocheapone shops. I have a BMC panel in the stock airbox with a resonectomy. It sucks cold air from the guard.

Posted Image

#5 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 10:59 AM

Well you can get them from Autocheapone shops. I have a BMC panel in the stock airbox with a resonectomy. It sucks cold air from the guard.

ive had a look at some stores but they only seem to have the 4 bolt ones (similar to gen 2's) but the B4 afm is different to your gtb, the afm just has 2 screws to bolt into the pipe,
and the resonectomy is a b*tch of a job, couldnt be stuffed taking off the guard etc

#6 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

Yeah I have a 4 bolt afm. Nah you dont take the guard off. Just take the wheel off and pull the plastic back a bit and undo 4 bolts and remove it. Its easy as and it makes it sound cooler.

Posted Image

#7 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

Yeah I have a 4 bolt afm.
Nah you dont take the guard off. Just take the wheel off and pull the plastic back a bit and undo 4 bolts and remove it. Its easy as and it makes it sound cooler.

yeah it was easy on my old rx, but i had a look at it the other day and on the B4 theres some weird cross-member thingy that it cant fit around (it was after work and getting dark) ill have to have another try on the weekend if i get some time

#8 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:19 AM

Where can i buy just the Afm meter adapter for the B4? Cause i have a couple of Pods laying around at home

Not sure. Adapter came with the pod kit.

#9 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

thanks, think I'll get a dry type just to be safe. Walts is this the cross member thingy you speak of? [attachment=184:100_3379.jpg] if it is just pull the inner clip towards the guard and bend it down.

#10 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:03 PM

Yeah thats the one, cheers buzzda

#11 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

Your right- it is a bit of a fiddly job, but once you remove that bracing bar the resonator will just come out. If people are worried about some oil from their filter getting onto their AFM then may I suggest you just remove your AFM periodically and give it a spray with some electronic contact cleaner. Make sure you get a contact cleaner that will not dissolve plastic, evaporates completely and will not leave a residue. This will dissolve any oil that makes its way through the filter (fairly unlikely to in any large quantities). Anyone who has had their car retuned has probably had this done to their AFM before its gone on the dyno to ensure the readings from the AFM are 100% correct. For the record I have a hyperflow CAI and am using the oiled foam filter that came with it (blitz or something) and have had no dramas at all.
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#12 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:29 PM

For the record I have a hyperflow CAI and am using the oiled foam filter that came with it (blitz or something) and have had no dramas at all.

+1 on that - same CAI, same oiled filter - no problems as yet.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#13 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:59 PM

For the record I have a hyperflow CAI and am using the oiled foam filter that came with it (blitz or something) and have had no dramas at all.

+1 on that - same CAI, same oiled filter - no problems as yet.

OK thanks, as mines a H/flow aswell I'll just use the supplied filter, if you guys haven't had any drama's can't see why I would.

was just thinking then maybe as the CAI takes the filter further away from the AFM it's not a prob.

:drinks: , Josh

#14 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

Closest I can find to mine is the K&N universal type of filter (oiled). There was/is a bit of oil lining the inside of the CAI piping, however not much at all. If there has been any issue with the AFM getting oil on it, certainly not noticed it.

Posted Image

Check out 3a racing's filter

http://www.australia...r Shoot Out.pdf

Stuff goes here

#15 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:19 PM

Oil'd K&N, to suit a 03 VW Golf GT....what?
TSM

#16 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

the only reason people have issues with the k&n's are they over oil them! not that much oil is required if you spray it on so its drippings its way too much! leaving the excess to suck into your piping past your AFM...

MY07 GT spec B

#17 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:04 PM

They're still a complete waste of money. Mine was supplied, otherwise i'd be using an $8 ryco...
TSM

#18 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:27 PM

Mine was free, with a $10k car

Stuff goes here

#19 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:52 PM

Has anyone done a any back to back testing on a dyno between paper and oiled filters? The reason I ask is we used to find that sometimes when on LPG the oiled foam air filers caused the vehicle (4WDs) to go a bit too rich in the upper rev range. Cheers J

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#20 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

I use a dry steel cone from Powertec, just take it out once a month and hoover it. Works well and looks and sounds good. I had the same problem as Walts with the brace that runs to the bumper but just pull the clip out gently and it will swing out of the way then the resonator drops straight out
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users