7 replies to this topic

#1 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:23 PM

HOW TO OIL REUSABLE AIR FILTERS

What you need: k&n or similar recharger filter care service kit (retails for $25, available at most automotive stores such as autobarn)

Pre cleaning: gently tap the element to dislodge any large embedded dirt, then gently brush if needed with a soft bristle brush. (note: if complete cleaning is not practical at the time, re-oil the element and re-install in your car)

Spray on cleaner: Spray k&n or similar air filter cleaner liberally onto the entire element and let soak for 10 minutes.

Rinse off: Rinse off the element with low pressure water. tap water is ok. always flush from the clean side to the dirty side. this removes the dirt & does not drive it further into the filter. (ie. flush in the reverse direction of what the air would normally flow)

Aeresol oiling: After cleaning the air filter, always re-oil before using. spray k&n or similar air filter oil down into each pleat with one pass per pleat. wait 10 minutes and re-oil any spots still showing.

Reinstall: Re-install your pod/panel filter element with proper care. make sure that the element seats properly in the filter case/correctly mounted onto the maf adaptor. install the cover (if required) making sure its in the correct position. tighten all the nuts/clips to factory specs.

Reusable filter use/cleaning hints & tips: It's an idea that, if you purchase a k&n filter to only use k&n filter cleaner on your filter. k&n filter cleaner is also usable on many other brands of reusable cotton based products.

DO NOT clean your filter with petrol of any kind.
DO NOT steam clean your filter
DO NOT use caustic based cleaning solutions on your filter
DO NOT use strong household/automotive detergents
DO NOT use a high pressure car wash hose on your filter

Any of these items can cause harm to the gauze filter media, plus it will shrink the rubber end caps/adaptors

Drying hints: Always dry your filter naturally. after rinsing, shake off all excess water and let the element dry naturally.

DO NOT use compressed air
DO NOT use an open flame
DO NOT heat dryers

Heat will shrink the cotton filter media. compressed air will blow holes in the element.

Oiling hints: Never use a cotton based reusable filter without it being oiled first. (the filter will not stop the dirt without the oil) use only k&n formulated oil on your k&n filter. this oil is also usable on other brands of reuseable filters. k&n air filter oil is a compound of mineral and animal oil blended with special polymers to form a very efficient tack barrier. red dye is added to show just wheer you have applied the oil. eventually the red colour will fade, but the oil will remain and filter the air.

NEVER USE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID
NEVER USE MOTOR OIL
NEVER USE DIESEL FUEL
NEVER USE WD-40, LPS OR OTHER LIGHT WEIGHT OILS

Performance hints: Service every 50,000km (most people will recommend to service every 10,000km) on street driven applications. Service more often for off road applications or in heavy dust conditions.

Sauce: antrx.com

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#2 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:47 PM

Nice write up. But isnt that K&N oil for the filters what screws up th AFM?

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#3 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 19 August 2009 - 05:45 PM

mine seems ok.

Stuff goes here

#4 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

Yeah heaps of people seem to have it, I just remeber a while back a few people were saying to to use oil'd filters. Ohwell if it works it works :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#5 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

$8 ryco.... It'll do the same job.
TSM

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:44 PM

Nice write up ams but I agree with pboas, $8 and bin it. IMO the dry paper element flow fine for most applications. Cheers J

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#7 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

Exactly. These cars are making what 250hp at most? Flow ain't a problem...
TSM

#8 Cam.

Cam.

OEM+

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,906 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 07:54 AM

I think it's better to just buy a cheaper filter all the time, Rather than spend $25 every time you service your car...That could get expensive after a while :P

Asb2OgK.jpg?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users