15 replies to this topic

#1 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

Anyone else (in Melb) going to the launch at Docklands tomorrow night?

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

I reckon that'd be awesome fun.

I was talking to a mate who went to a Subaru staff driving / demonstration day last week and they had all the new Lib's and outbacks there.

3.6L NA, 2.0L turbo diesel, 2.5GT. He said the new 3.6NA goes like the stink, and the things handle surprisingly well. Apparently the new automatic transmission is some continual gear or something, and you don't feel it actually change gear. I wish I could read and article on it as it sounded very interesting. They also use electronic hand brakes now as well.

Edit: ... and here we go. The Subaru CVT: Continuously Variable Transmission

#3 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:44 PM

That's pretty cool, but looks like it could be a catastrophic point of failure, no?

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#4 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:56 PM

Only the N/A 2.5's will get CVT, its not new technology.. has been used in cars for a lot of years... Old Nissan March's used it in the early 90's but yeah it predates that. The new 3.6L has 191Kw up from 184Kw, and torque went from 296Nm to 350Nm.. so a fair gain in torque, and will run on 91 RON We will be getting a 195kw 350nm version of the GT instead of the japspec 210kw. GT's and 3.6's will still use the 5 speed Sportshift gearbox. Oh and in aus we will still be getting Macintosh sound systems. They have gained some cool things (new for a lib anyways) like auto headlamps and rain sensing wipers, key proximity opening and push button start. Dual zone climate control is standard on even the base model and paddle shift for anything that changes gear on its own :D there will also be a Spec. B version of the 2.5 N/A.. Oh and all Manuals are now 6 speed, even on the base model N/A's

#5 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:58 PM

6 Speed gearbox prices just went down! Yeehaaa!!!

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 01:47 PM

ZOMG wha? H6 is now 191kw? Someone's gonna be pissed, not having the most powahfool's NA lib in Australia! CVT is technology that has been around the traps for some time. I think it's kooky French technology though. I wonder how Turbo motors and CVT go....obviously ****, if they're not coming out with turbo models. diesel would be cool, but alas, my heart will no longer be with subarus with my replacement car. unless they bring out some kick arse offroading variant. about time subaru caught up with the mumbo jumbo technology of rain sensing headlights and light sensing wipers.

#7 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hopefully tomorrow night's launch will be better received than the rex launch last time.... Will give a brief run-down on Friday.

#8 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 05:15 PM

i went to a launch last weekend. they look much better in person rather than the pics. biggest upgrade though i would say is the interior. biiiiiig step up just reaks of quality!

MY07 GT spec B

#9 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

More to this, the new Legacy scored 5 stars in the Euro NCAP test. Good news! http://www.finchanne...AP_Safety_Test/

#10 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:57 AM

I Might be... still trying to convince a friend that im the friend she should take!
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#11 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

OK, see you there... if i caqn spot you lol

#12 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:38 PM

Dylan and I spotted a truck load of new models on there way to a launch party in the Barossa Valley a few weeks ago, very nice, in fact Dylan and I both said we could have the Spec-B which was on the truck, naaaaaaace /borat. I am sort of with Alex though, one thing that seems to be happening with Subarus is that they are trying to become, perhaps have become, more mainstream and boring drive from A-B cars rather than enthusiast cars which is a shame, I am thinking my next car will be a Volvo. You can't think I'm serious :-) But, I am thinking down the lines of a 600BHP Fiat Punto Turbo Diesel, now that is balls !!! Full rally spec ECU !!! Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#13 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:50 AM

The engine seems to have been replaced with a big chunk of plastic:

Posted Image

#14 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:07 AM

^Thats like Lexus. They don't want their owners to see any of the oily bits under the bonnet ;) So whats the go with these cars, are they all running even length headers hence no more boxer burble? It shall be interesting to see how a CVT goes with a turbo engine. I can't recall the CVT's being mated to anything as power as these Subaru engines. Usually find them in pov-spec Nissan's, amongst other cars....

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#15 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:17 AM

I take it this launch was last night? How was it?

#16 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:29 PM

Launch was well meh, some free drink, bit of finger food being handed around and a speaker who didn't appear to have any formal qualification in public speaking or presentation speeches. everyone knows your not meant to read exactly what is on the friggen PowerPoint up in the projector.. Also how many times can you say Umm and err and sound intelligent.. None! Your meant to know what your talking about if you are launching a new car! Anyway as for the cars.... i will scan some of the literature that was provided including prices.. but pretty much everything is 5sp Linear CVT less than a handful of the whole line-up come with a 6MT option (all the diesels, the 3.6R and the turbo model) Power is up from like 183 to 193 for the turbo model (but it is longer and wider and heavier) Gone are the B Spec line-ups.. Replaced with "Sports" which has... Bilstein Suspension and Satnav.. oh and a different front bumper.. thats it no fancy brakes, no different seats no sti stuff at all its just meh, the turbo sports model they had didn’t have any spoiler (probably cause the boot lid is about 5 inches deep) On a positive note the Outback can drive over a bridge! (B4Cruiser you know what i mean lol they showed the car driving over the bridge about 8 times ach with more epic music) Seriously though the interior is alright although the satnav/radio and A/C Controls are all mounted on a section of the dash that comes away about 3 inches from the line of the dash as such the front centre vents have been relocated to the side of this "POD" and are positioned on a 45 deg angle each side towards the driver and passenger respectively on each side. This POD as i refer to it also has like a table section on top with rubber mat (presumably for phone and other items) Legroom in the front is deep but low i found my knees resting on the glove box and the drivers side was no different and im a moderate 6'2", this immediately made the inclusion of Knee Airbags as standard reassuring Seating is comfortable and quite supportive but also wider so those who suffer a case of wide arse will now feel comfortable and not squashed as in earlier models. Top spec line-up sees the return of fake wood grain or carbon fibre inserts in both the dash and door trims (the wood grain adds quite a European feel to the interior while the carbonfibre matches well with the dark interior) In the back despite the increased width of the model it still feels narrow. legroom is reasonable. There are now rear vents situated on the back of the centre console lid and are adjustable so no more supercooling your feet while your body is still cooking. Wheels are well... Standard, nothing fancy about the look, 17in standard and very similar (if not the same) as on the current line-up of Impreza's That’s about all i can be bothered writing about. The highlight of the night was getting a FREE Subaru enviro bag with a first aid kit for the car :D the consensus of all the people i overheard talking was it looks very much like a Nissan maxima at the back and from the front its somewhat camry like. On a positive note the Wagon does not look too bad from the back, and the front of the sports model does grow on you but it is no longer a enthusiasts car as mentioned, the liberty has really become a large everyday family car with a emphasis on comfort and room rather than performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users