#1 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 01 September 2009 - 05:56 PM

Hey guys, My car is doing a few wierd things and im not sure where to start looking for/fixing them. 1. After hitting boost, even when not high boost and i put the clutch in. The revs seem to climb or sit on the revs that i took my foot off the gas for a little bit then fall slowly... thoughts? 2. when sitting at lights, my gate or intersection, the revs seem to drop and sounds like its going to stall..thoughts? would these all be ecu related or something, im new to injected engines with computers and stuff, and even more to turbos. I might as well ask about maintenance. Is there any extra maintenence or checks i should be doing? i do a fair few ks every week. And! Should i be lettig my car run for abit at idle before turning it off? Mini engines are so much easier! p.s. This is alex's old car. :) Cheers! Adam.

Posted Image

#2 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

do you mean the idle is hunting a bit? how low does it drop on the tacho? are you letting the car warm up before you drive it??? ps. if your doing high k's dont forget to change the oil and filter every 5000k's. if you want to use the same stuff i was using its fuchs 10w40 SuperGTO full synth.

MY07 GT spec B

#3 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 06:34 PM

the revs not falling sounds like an issue i was having.. after re-fitting all vac lines and cleaning everything and doing a UEC it doesnt do it anymore. if you tap the brake when its doing it (not enough to actually engage brake but just enough to get the booster working) do the revs start to drop normally? i would say its Air idle control valve is dirty or there is a vac leak somewhere.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

do you mean the idle is hunting a bit? how low does it drop on the tacho?

are you letting the car warm up before you drive it???

ps. if your doing high k's dont forget to change the oil and filter every 5000k's. if you want to use the same stuff i was using its fuchs 10w40 SuperGTO full synth.

Alex, It doesn't do it when cold, only after driving a bit. but the revs drop nearly down to 0 then it picks back up again. it doesnt stutter or anything like its going to stall but enough to make me think it might.

I let the car warm up for a couple of minutes, as long as it takes to reverse out of my shed, close the door, drive to my gate, open gate, drive through, close gate, then i drive off. but after that i just go through the gears at low revs so its given enough time to warm up before i drive it hard.

the revs not falling sounds like an issue i was having.. after re-fitting all vac lines and cleaning everything and doing a UEC it doesnt do it anymore.

if you tap the brake when its doing it (not enough to actually engage brake but just enough to get the booster working) do the revs start to drop normally?

i would say its Air idle control valve is dirty or there is a vac leak somewhere.

CodeBurn3r it does it when just rolling, say at lights when i waiting without the brakes on, i thought it might have been the booster making it struggle, but having them on or off doesn't really make a difference.

Where do i find the Air idle control valve (AICV?) and how do i clean it? alex gave me some UEC so i might run that through when i service her.

Posted Image

#5 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:38 PM

interesting...

here is the IACV:

Posted Image

it is the brown capped thing just next to the BOV piping.

yes the upper engine cleaner will help.

i ran it thru when i first converted the car after a couple of weeks (feb) and it blew out a fair bit of crap so it may of gummed up the IACV a bit.

it does say to run another can thru if its particularly dirty...

let me know how it goes mate. both these problems could be related, also do as codeburner said and check all the vacuum lines as there might be a leak there somewhere thats causing the revs to drop.

MY07 GT spec B

#6 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:39 PM

I reckon airflow meter needs a clean or the iacv.. As for the revs climbing a little between gear changes, welcome to the world of Subaru, it's completely normal.. You have to learn to drive with it and not against it.. The B4 did the exact same thing, it drove ne crazy at the start..

#7 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:00 AM

My vote is on the AFM. I had issues where my car would sometimes stall while sitting stationary at lights. Take it off, spray with carby cleaner. Leave to dry and make sure nothing is left. Best to spray it all over the sensor and make sure you do it the way the air flows as well (there is an arrow on the outside of the tube). I've also cleaned one with some upper engine cleaner, but it does not get rid of gunk like good old fashioned carby cleaner does. After I did this, the RPM issue went away immediately.

#8 portugese_gorilla

portugese_gorilla

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 02:47 AM

Maybe check that all your ignition leads are plugged in properly as they can cause idle disturbance

#9 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 02 September 2009 - 07:34 AM

My car recently had similar problems. I took the IACV cap off and gave it a clean and it fixed it instantly. There was some crap in it so I think it was staying open. Its been no issue for 3 months now.

Posted Image

#10 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:44 PM

drop into work mate, i saw you again today also.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#11 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 09 September 2009 - 05:42 PM

Is any time good to drop in Ben? i finish work about 4..

Posted Image

#12 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 12 September 2009 - 07:26 PM

Is any time good to drop in Ben? i finish work about 4..

pm me your mob number, ill try work something out with the service dept, as they (we) shut at 4, but ill stay back one day if need be.

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users