←  General Discussion

Suby Club

»

Hard rubbish

N/A_EJ22's Photo N/A_EJ22 24 Sep 2009

Cheers Alexxx. What if what he is saying about having access to a majority of the needed parts? It doesnt seem as if hes going for mega figures so if he can get the parts cheaply (assuming their all OEM parts) it shouldn't be as much as buying a whole front cut and whacking that in? Im not trying to start more of a shit fight. Just trying to become better informed.

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 24 Sep 2009

...That said, if i had of had access to forums with my first few modified cars, they wouldnt have cost me as much as I would of been able to make a more informed choice and not change my mind 2 months after doing a mod incurring the cost twice or even 3 times. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained through forums in aiding an informed decision.

Research everything and do it once, properly, thats what ive learnt.

Good luck with it Ty.

Thanks,

Forums and reading up on things allowed me to tackle removing my engine stripping it down and fixing my head gaskets last year.. i had only ever done the usual bit of work on cars (filters etc).. hell i didn't even really know how the inside of the engine worked...
my car is running perfect and i did all the work in a week, working in the shed after i got home from work every night..

Hell, while working at Subabits i learnt heaps too.

No doubt i will have issues and it wont be free but it will be interesting and i will enjoy it (most of the time lol)

Dylan's Photo Dylan 25 Sep 2009

but still how long did it take you?? how many people helped you out.. etc etc.

you had a slightly easier swap with a car that was already done... i bolted everything together on my old wagon including putting the engine together (pulled it apart and cleaned it out!)

Those are very good points.

Dylan.

I am always worried about you attempting to fix things without supervision or asking for advice of someone experienced.

And I can't believe you say that you'd do it again. Your car isn't running correctly as it is, yet you're condoning people to go in half cocked at start rooting around with their cars?

It's downright dangerous sometimes.

Truly man.

I am beginning to see where your supposed view of my "elitist attitude" is coming from.

We have a differing level of standards on our cars. Forget about mods and prices. I'm talking about tackling jobs within competency, fit and finish.

I go by the saying "If you can't do something properly, don't bother doing it at all".

I stand my ground, and disagree with you all inexperienced people.

Alex, that is true. Our standards are different and as you have said many times, you truly do suffer from O.C.D.

Sure, that saying rings true - but something done 'properly' may differ slightly according to the eyes of the beholder.

I am no way claiming my car is a work of art nor have I mentioned it is not problem free - a lot of the issues I am having I believe are down to the engines age - nothing else. I honestly don't believe they are a direct cause of my actions.

While I agree there are somethings that are dangerous that you can do (I was having a talk with Iain last night about people doing home flywheel-lightening jobs) I fail to see how Ty wanting to build this engine is a 'dangerous' option?

I really don't believe there is any problem with wanting to fix things myself - or for anyone wanting to give it a go themselves. 2 ways you can learn really in this life, 1 read a book about it or 2 give it a go. Obviously when you do give it a go having forums and mates helps, as well as a workshop manual. I have not suffered any terminal failures as a result of my actions, infact I have had many successes and I have learned more than I would have ever expected about my car. Going from getting the car and not having done anything (changing the panel air filter was hard enough!) to having done what I have done now I have had a lot of fun, any for these reasons I would strongly recommend and support anyone that wanted to go on a similar journey.

Dylan

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 25 Sep 2009

Is it just me or do cars with conversions never quite work? or are never quite perfect They always seem to have a problem here or there or they break things very easily.

Alex's Photo Alex 25 Sep 2009

Dylan. I hardly suffer from OCD. You suffer from laziness! You have performed certain jobs I wouldn't even have DARED performed myself, despite my arsenal of decent home tools, a solid double garage (and solid garage floor) Because you're downright dangerous and you have a poor attention to detail! I don't want to continue on with this discussion, because I don't want to embarrass you. Let's just agree to disagree.

Dylan. I hardly suffer from OCD. You suffer from laziness!

You have performed certain jobs I wouldn't even have DARED performed myself, despite my arsenal of decent home tools, a solid double garage (and solid garage floor)

Because you're downright dangerous and you have a poor attention to detail!

I don't want to continue on with this discussion, because I don't want to embarrass you.

Let's just agree to disagree.

Settle down mate, I was only saying that because you've said it yourself! I am happy to continue this discussion, I enjoy talking about things like this but not if you're getting personal. So since your last posts seem to be leaning more toward that I will agree that we should take it easy.

I'll give you a call today and sort you out!

Edit: For the record, this post is what I was referring to Alex - not accusing you of anything mate!

Is it just me or do cars with conversions never quite work? or are never quite perfect

They always seem to have a problem here or there or they break things very easily.

No, it's not just you ha ha.

No, it's not just you ha ha.

lol believe me, if i tried to tackle a conversion it would be the biggest load of fail in history! I'll leave it for the experts ;)

lol believe me, if i tried to tackle a conversion it would be the biggest load of fail in history! I'll leave it for the experts ;)

Well, the 'experts' have to start somewhere , no??

Food for thought ;)

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 25 Sep 2009

Is it just me or do cars with conversions never quite work? or are never quite perfect

They always seem to have a problem here or there or they break things very easily.

In some ways I think your'e right Tom. But it would depend on the level of modification. Chasing big power will obviously stress the engine but also the related components that have to deal with the increase.
In my opion modifications are an evolution, you modifiy one area and something else will fail, you modify that to cope and something else lets go and so on. I would think that the cars that have issues have not reached the end of the road as far as devopment is concerned, thus making them somewhat unreliable. A very close attention to detail goes along way.
As has been said before, work out where you want to end up and work back from there. If your aim is modest gains, then a well rounded reliable package should be very achievable.
Cheers
J

In some ways I think your'e right Tom. But it would depend on the level of modification. Chasing big power will obviously stress the engine but also the related components that have to deal with the increase.
In my opion modifications are an evolution, you modifiy one area and something else will fail, you modify that to cope and something else lets go and so on. I would think that the cars that have issues have not reached the end of the road as far as devopment is concerned, thus making them somewhat unreliable. A very close attention to detail goes along way.
As has been said before, work out where you want to end up and work back from there. If your aim is modest gains, then a well rounded reliable package should be very achievable.
Cheers
J

Agreed. :)

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 25 Sep 2009

Hi, 9/10 conversions are people spending the same, or often more, coin that they could have bought a real car with tooling up and destroying value in a lesser car. There's an original Bristol in Unique Cars this month, with a Holden 6 in it. Serialistically. Someone needs to be shot for that one. Cheers, Nik

There's an original Bristol in Unique Cars this month, with a Holden 6 in it. Serialistically. Someone needs to be shot for that one.

Theres also this Gen 2 GX with a H6 in it, someone needs to be shot for that one!

Alex's Photo Alex 25 Sep 2009

Hi,

9/10 conversions are people spending the same, or often more, coin that they could have bought a real car with tooling up and destroying value in a lesser car.

There's an original Bristol in Unique Cars this month, with a Holden 6 in it. Serialistically. Someone needs to be shot for that one.

Cheers,
Nik

Did someone find a Holden six on the side of the road? With a hole in the block?

It could have been a slow build project...

Theres also this Gen 2 GX with a H6 in it, someone needs to be shot for that one!

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAA

Ericmcg's Photo Ericmcg 25 Sep 2009

lol believe me, if i tried to tackle a conversion it would be the biggest load of fail in history! I'll leave it for the experts Posted Image

This is an EPIC FAIL.....

Posted Image

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 25 Sep 2009

Hi, Isn't that just a flat piece of cardboard? HAHA @ RE: H6. Cheers, Nik

Soop's Photo Soop 25 Sep 2009

fork me. Somethings never change. Drive the shit heap untill it dies, and save money in the mean time. Then just go buy a car that was built to go fast from the get go...

JRod's Photo JRod 25 Sep 2009

*sighs*

Still trying to work out what your going to be using. From the sounds of things, its just the heads and sensors? Block is goneski if there are holes in it. If the motor has put through 1 piston, then chances are the rest of them are up to shit as well. Good on you for the whole 'one mans trash is another mans treasure', but honestly mate, I can't see where you have won with getting this busted motor when I believe you'll have a hard time trying to get someone selling just a block. This is of course, if you are keeping with the 2lt block. You may aswell get a 2.2NA block then, throw some decent pistons in, and give that ago. But as for it being reliable, I'm sorry mate but you have buckleys.

As for Alexs' comments, its a shame that the truth hurts. I know his standards are a lot higher than most, but he is trying to explain to everyone here that you can only polish a turd so much. If you start with shit, only spend shit, then you will still have shit. The STi's aren't the be all and end all but. Out of my V3 STi halfcut conversion that was done about 2 years ago, the only thing I have is the carbon strut brace, and the heads. The gearbox I destroyed, the brakes I upgraded, the gearbox was upgraded, the rest of the driveline was upgraded, the motor I finally destoyed and is getting replaced with a larger 2.5 NA block that is close decked and sleeved = stronger than your EJ257. Yes I drove it hard, but I still looked after it.

So, in my opinion, don't be a fishes arsehole - water tight. Spend some money to get some reliablity, or just move on to something else, because from the sounds of things, your tight arsed budget is going to cost you a lot more than what you think.

fatcat67's Photo fatcat67 25 Sep 2009

*sighs*

Still trying to work out what your going to be using. From the sounds of things, its just the heads and sensors? Block is goneski if there are holes in it. If the motor has put through 1 piston, then chances are the rest of them are up to shit as well. Good on you for the whole 'one mans trash is another mans treasure', but honestly mate, I can't see where you have won with getting this busted motor when I believe you'll have a hard time trying to get someone selling just a block. This is of course, if you are keeping with the 2lt block. You may aswell get a 2.2NA block then, throw some decent pistons in, and give that ago. But as for it being reliable, I'm sorry mate but you have buckleys.

As for Alexs' comments, its a shame that the truth hurts. I know his standards are a lot higher than most, but he is trying to explain to everyone here that you can only polish a turd so much. If you start with shit, only spend shit, then you will still have shit. The STi's aren't the be all and end all but. Out of my V3 STi halfcut conversion that was done about 2 years ago, the only thing I have is the carbon strut brace, and the heads. The gearbox I destroyed, the brakes I upgraded, the gearbox was upgraded, the rest of the driveline was upgraded, the motor I finally destoyed and is getting replaced with a larger 2.5 NA block that is close decked and sleeved = stronger than your EJ257. Yes I drove it hard, but I still looked after it.

So, in my opinion, don't be a fishes arsehole - water tight. Spend some money to get some reliablity, or just move on to something else, because from the sounds of things, your tight arsed budget is going to cost you a lot more than what you think.

No more needs to be said.

No more needs to be said.

Couldn't agree more. Great post Jarrod.

thatsgoodsquishy's Photo thatsgoodsquishy 26 Sep 2009

I'm a bad example of a gunna, i was gunna finish my mini 4 years ago, and i was gunna have my moke finished for last summer ;) big builds risk loss of interest which can be caused by lots of F ups..

Just my experience with big jobs :)

Pics and details of Mini and more importantly the moke? Start a thread......