60 replies to this topic

#21 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

Hey Alex. Could this not be the beginning of something bigger??
Everyone has to start somewhere, don't they?
Cheers
J

the only thing that's going to be bigger with this is the disappointment.

I'm honestly not trying to be a bah humbug here. But people really need to wake up and smell the fricken coffee here!

best to do the research, start with a better platform (GTB/STi) and go from there. Its a world of difference.

Its absolutely funny to see that in retrospect, how something so little and cheap and turn out to be an economic monstrosity,

but inversely, to start out with something better (that you paid a couple of hundred extra for) can save you oodles of money down the track.

I think some people here need to really sit down, and do a cost analysis into legitimately getting an EJ20 turbo up and running, beginning with just a dud block and heads.

#22 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:06 PM

Im not expecting it to be Cheap.. but i do have access to alot of cheap parts and a wealth of knowledge from helpful people both here and in person.. also having this guy around the corner im able to pretty much get all the wiring done by myself and a mate now that we can look at his and copy it. This is all going to help make it CHEAPER.. but still not CHEAP! What makes this engine so bad? you have said its a boat anchor and what not but you haven't said why? give some information as to why its apparently so shit? give some suggestions... are you saying that the intake and all sensors on the engine are worth nothing? the heads are useless? the cam pulleys, belt covers and headers are again easy to get for free? unfortunately not everyone can go out and get a STI gen2 legacy wagon. but for me getting this is a nice jump start on where i want to go with my car. and it gives me something to work on.. after all it is something i enjoy doing.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#23 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:33 PM

dude. i'm not going to spoon feed you your information. try research. its good. makes me make solid decisions and choices when it comes to mods. never see me bitch or moan about things gone to shit! RSLC is a good start. Search is your friend there. You'll probably end up spending close to what a GTB is worth, just to get it running half decent. Boat anchor? Are you a complete and utter n00b? Or did I read wrong about the fact that the block has a hole in it? Basically means its proper forked. You did the guy a favour by taking it, that way, he doesn't have to pay for its removal! Intakes aren't anything worth writing home about. It all depends on what motor/ps pump/ecu/intake/turbo you're running with anyways. Sensors may be OK for spares, but at the end of the day, the motor is about 20 years old. Sensors will be near on forked. If it has a hole in the block, chances are it was because of a forked sensor. Yeah, that other gear isn't hard to get. I don't see the big hoo-hah. You want trouble free turbo conversion? Go front cut. Want a conversion with a happy ending? Go an STi front cut. Kids today. Tisk tisk. And the fact that you bought a set of VF13/14's for $100. You got major ripped. People throw those in the bin. They're the smallest turbos, and because of age, they'll be forked out. Not a rebuildable turbo. Well, not that anyone would, as they're hopeless. You're welcome to buy my VF26/27 if you like. $250 to your door. Best TT's you'll buy without changing the inlet manifold to suit the bigger VF33/32 off of the AUDM B4! I challenge you to find cheaper...

#24 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:57 PM

The heads were attached to the block.. thats why i took it.. couldn't sit there and strip the heads off on the side of the road, i have not paid anything now as he is taking my front bar after i get the new one (the front bar that was damaged) and the only reason we thought it might be ej20h is thats what was printed on the sticker for the belt covers.. but they are multi fit so its not definantly a H, its got yellow injectors in the intake that was paired with the block and this guy said he doesnt know what engine was in it but the guy he bought it from told him the car was converted using a B4 front cut, im not sure if i believe it all but he did say he had to run 98 all the time else it would ping and when he went on the dyno and threw the rod it was running on 91.. as for the spoon feed information comment.. you always have something to say about anything turbo related so i thought you might be able to shed some light. i was under the impression that people on car forums shared information but you always seem to call people idiots and newbs but never share any of you apparent wisdom. im going to call it quits now, this is pointless babble. my free engine is a waste of space, you car is god, you are all knowing, we mortals are not worthy of your knowledge i apologise :flag_of_truce:

#25 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:05 AM

While I agree with some of what you are saying Alex, I really think you hold a very 'elitist' view of some of these things. You have had a good run with your car, sure you started with a good base but a Gen2 RX isn't that far behind yours. Don't get me wrong here, I am a huge fan of your car (as I am sure many of us are) - it is something you really can be proud of. I still think finding an engine in these circumstances can only be a good thing, hell the stuff that's strapped on it would be worth over $100 even selling it at cheap cheap prices. If he didn't want to go that way, a reliable build could be done (and as per the 3 rules of engine building it would be cheap and reliable but not a power monster). When I first was looking at choices for my conversion my list was simple: Suit my budget and give me the real WRX exhaust note (burble). I got that and I am confident that I paid a good price for what I got. Sure, there have been hiccups and mishaps along the way but over all I am still very happy with what I have now and do not regret doing it. I am proud of my car and I am very lucky to have had such an opportunity to learn some of the things I have. It's my first car, in money-smarts talk it's not the best idea no, but unfortunately in today's society many of us are driven by material possessions and I am one of those people (car). Sure, I can see the logic behind going to an STi engine and the reasoning behind it but even now I am happy with what I have. Not everyone is chasing huge power, not everyone wants to learn by 'reading a book'. Life is a journey you have got to live it, learn it. Make mistakes, share successes but don't expect everyone to follow your example. If everyone did exactly as they read it would make for a very boring and mundane life (Generalising here, not speaking directly of your advice). Of course I don't understand the circumstances behind Ty doing this and wanting to do this, and what he is seeking - but the above is my 2 cents in to this whole thing and hopefully adds another perspective to this discussion. Dylan

#26 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:20 AM

Dylan, man you hit the nail on the head.. fairly reliable, cheap (as in im not going to spend big on STI cause its unrealistic) and not a power monster.. its what i have said in many threads about my car and my intentions.. something with a bit more oomph but not chasing big figures. im defiantly not rushing into anything though! take my time, do my research and build to my budget but most importantly.. enjoy the trip :)

#27 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:21 AM

as for the spoon feed information comment.. you always have something to say about anything turbo related so i thought you might be able to shed some light.
i was under the impression that people on car forums shared information but you always seem to call people idiots and newbs but never share any of you apparent wisdom.

The trouble with it is, there is no simple answer to questions that are asked - by anyone really.

RSLC was suggested because years upon years of trial and testing with early turbo motors has been done, information is there but unfortunately its not compiled in a 'what to do' and 'what not to do list'. There are more 'do this, but make sure you do this as well' or 'my experiences with doing this'. It's what a good media outlet should be. Present the facts and information and let you decide (although, in saying this - the definition of 'fact' seems to vary between each and every major western media outlet - convenient).

Alex does know quite a great deal about turbo Subaru's amongst other cars, and I am sure he would be willing to help you and give you some information but it's literally an open ended question.

EJ20R is essentially a v3 STi motor, heads on it are also pretty spot on to V3 heads. V3 / V4 are widely regarded as the best and most aggressive STi engines pre V7 / 2001 / EJ207 / AVCS days (JDM of course).

I think there may be some information on engines on Subyclub somewhere, if not start a thread about your engine and we can all get to know it better, post up information and example builds etc...

Dylan, man you hit the nail on the head.. fairly reliable, cheap (as in im not going to spend big on STI cause its unrealistic) and not a power monster.. its what i have said in many threads about my car and my intentions.. something with a bit more oomph but not chasing big figures.

im defiantly not rushing into anything though! take my time, do my research and build to my budget but most importantly.. enjoy the trip :)

Look, as long as you understand the limitations of what you are doing really. I now am reaching a stage where I see people making power figures and I want to be able to get up to that power. I have realised that my engine base is not nearly as solid or prepared for certain things so I understand the legwork to get to that point is a lot harder.

Mine has done me for a couple of years and I don't want to get rid of it, I still have things I can do to mine to bring it up to a level I believe I will be very happy with (bigger turbo, big more boost and front mount) and that will do me for another few years I reckon - at least. Car modifications really never stop in my eyes (until you buy a car that is NOT for modification) so I knew I would always be doing things, but the important thing is to think about what you want, do plenty of research and find something that you believe will be right for you. You don't want to build something up, put time and money in to it only to realise it's not what you're after.

I enjoy learning about it, but unfortunately this 'class' has a very high course fee.

#28 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:14 AM

im going to call it quits now, this is pointless babble. my free engine is a waste of space, you car is god, you are all knowing, we mortals are not worthy of your knowledge i apologise :flag_of_truce:

You have a very poor attitude when it comes to receiving advice.

All I'm trying to do is put you in a better position to get you somewhere better, but If you're happy to pour your money into a trap, then by all means. "Make Do"

And how the fork is it that people hold an elitist point of view? All I see is people that can't take good sound, advice and are envious with the end product.

Go back to Ozlib. Seriously. We don't need pretentious little twats like you.

#29 Guest_aurelius_*

Guest_aurelius_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

never see me bitch or moan about things gone to shit!

HA. So there is something you don't complain about...

#30 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hi,

Go back to Ozlib. Seriously.

Haha, I had to check the URL, I thought this WAS OzLib with a new theme.

:D

Cheers,
Nik

#31 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:39 PM

buy a car already done or buy a wrx. easy close thread! unless you are already 100% confident and have done ALL your research don't bother. i've done the conversion all myself (bar Al doing the wiring for me) from gearbox swaps, engine out, wiring loom fitment etc and wouldnt of bothered if my dad wasn't a mechanic/i wasn't very confident. the end result is awesome but its a massive PITA to do!

MY07 GT spec B

#32 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:39 PM

buy a car already done or buy a wrx. easy close thread!

unless you are already 100% confident and have done ALL your research don't bother.

i've done the conversion all myself (bar Al doing the wiring for me) from gearbox swaps, engine out, wiring loom fitment etc and wouldnt of bothered if my dad wasn't a mechanic/i wasn't very confident. the end result is awesome but its a massive PITA to do!

I would do it all again. I still continue to lend a hand to mates doing engine / gearbox swaps. My dad is not a mechanic and I learned it all as I went. It's honestly not that hard and I don't see it as being a massive pain in the ass. Hell, I did my conversion outside on my lawn - it can't get any worse than that.

Dylan

#33 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:03 PM

but still how long did it take you?? how many people helped you out.. etc etc. you had a slightly easier swap with a car that was already done... i bolted everything together on my old wagon including putting the engine together (pulled it apart and cleaned it out!)

MY07 GT spec B

#34 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:05 PM

but still how long did it take you?? how many people helped you out.. etc etc.

you had a slightly easier swap with a car that was already done... i bolted everything together on my old wagon including putting the engine together (pulled it apart and cleaned it out!)

Lucky me! Thanks Alex ;)

Posted Image

#35 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:18 PM

oh and did i mention its a shitload cheaper if you buy one already done!

MY07 GT spec B

#36 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:22 PM

Dylan. I am always worried about you attempting to fix things without supervision or asking for advice of someone experienced. And I can't believe you say that you'd do it again. Your car isn't running correctly as it is, yet you're condoning people to go in half cocked at start rooting around with their cars? It's downright dangerous sometimes. Truly man. I am beginning to see where your supposed view of my "elitist attitude" is coming from. We have a differing level of standards on our cars. Forget about mods and prices. I'm talking about tackling jobs within competency, fit and finish. I go by the saying "If you can't do something properly, don't bother doing it at all". I stand my ground, and disagree with you all inexperienced people.

#37 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:16 PM

Alex's advice rings true albeit in his usual blunt style of delivery. :D You learn from your mistakes and that is a powerful learning tool. That said, if i had of had access to forums with my first few modified cars, they wouldnt have cost me as much as I would of been able to make a more informed choice and not change my mind 2 months after doing a mod incurring the cost twice or even 3 times. There is a wealth of knowledge to be gained through forums in aiding an informed decision. Research everything and do it once, properly, thats what ive learnt. Good luck with it Ty.

OEM+

#38 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:23 PM

I have one quiery in regards to the waste of time debate. How is this any different to doing a build up of a 2.2L and what not? Apart from the whole in the block, of which i have no idea how much it costs to fix or if its fixable.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#39 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

I have one quiery in regards to the waste of time debate.

How is this any different to doing a build up of a 2.2L and what not? Apart from the whole in the block, of which i have no idea how much it costs to fix or if its fixable.

big job. need to the block to be reco'd (bore/honed depending on condition, custom lower comp pistons (can be had off shelf though US EBAY), decent set of heads, aftermarket computer (big $ here), manifolds, turbo to suit, injectors and and and............... the list is HUGE. not to mention the driveline package you would want to accompany it.

Another thing not to do is say your gonna do it and leave it drag out and last forever! very few knew I was doing my conversion and didnt let out big info/progress till she was runnin! last thing you want is a anti-climax!

MY07 GT spec B

#40 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 24 September 2009 - 09:57 PM

I'm a bad example of a gunna, i was gunna finish my mini 4 years ago, and i was gunna have my moke finished for last summer ;) big builds risk loss of interest which can be caused by lots of F ups.. Just my experience with big jobs :)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users