Photo

Oil Level and Oil pressure warning light (dash)

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:15 PM

To my own detriment, yesterday was the first time I checked my oil since getting my Liberty RX 2.5L about 7 weeks ago. I was shocked to find the level below the "E" mark on the stick. (and no, I didn't check it when I bought it either - STUPID) I rang a Suby dealer - where I'm getting it serviced next month - and asked what oil they use, I was told to get Castrol Magnatec - either 5W/30 or 10W/30 - cause that is the closest retail version to what they use in the service department. It ended up taking between 750-800ml to fill. Then I thought if it was so low, why didn't I get an oil warning light or something? Check Engine or something?? I looked in the manual and it says the oil light is for "OIL pressure warning light" So my question is: How low does the oil level have to be to trigger the oil pressure warning light? The light actually comes on during start-up/ignition but goes off immediately, that would indicate it's working/connected right? I'm wondering if the car yard could have disconnected it to not indicate it was low on oil.... and if so, perhaps have almost no oil in it because of a leak..... Now I'm paranoid... Last service it had was at 155,000kms in May 09, and apparently that was a major service, next Major due at around 200,000kms (timeing belt etc). But this oil thing has me a little worried, can anyone tell me more about the "OIL pressure warning light"?? Thanks.

#2 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:22 PM

if it only took 800mls to fill it wasn't that low on oil. from what i rememeber they take nearly 5litres full. it is normal for an engine with over 150k to use a bit of oil get into good practice of checking it weekly

MY07 GT spec B

#3 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 12 October 2009 - 05:29 PM

Don't panic. Its got enough oil to cope. Its an oil pressure light not an oil level light. When ever I buy a car I always change the oil straight away so why don't you just change it?

Posted Image

#4 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

TBH I check my oil and water levels pretty much every day, 1st thing before I start it, takes 2 mins, it may be anal but worth it for peace of mind. Also as stated above, changing the oil on a newly purchased car is one of the 1st things you should do... if for no other reason so you know whats in there. Also you should be getting yr oil changed AT LEAST every 12500k... even better, half that... even better every 5000. You can never change the oil to much in a car! Move yr service forward to either this week or next and while there buy an extra 5lts of whatever oil their using.

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 06:14 PM

if the oil light comes on, its not there to tell you that you haven't got enough oil. its the car LOL'ing at you at your stupidity. They essentially spelt LOL wrong. basically, if the OIL light comes on, your engine has probablu already had catastrophic damage

#6 buddylove

buddylove

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 08:03 PM

Sisters corolla drove over a large rock on the road couple years back, punctured a hole in the sump. dumped oil everywhere.. oil light came on.. she pulled over, turned car off. called parents.. no engine damage, drove for another 3 years untill someone rear ended her. thats a long time to go without checking your oil, good way to remember is everytime you fill up fuel.

MY07 GT-B 6MT Sedan

#7 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:16 PM

TBH I check my oil and water levels pretty much every day, 1st thing before I start it, takes 2 mins, it may be anal but worth it for peace of mind.

Also as stated above, changing the oil on a newly purchased car is one of the 1st things you should do... if for no other reason so you know whats in there.

Also you should be getting yr oil changed AT LEAST every 12500k... even better, half that... even better every 5000.

You can never change the oil to much in a car!

Move yr service forward to either this week or next and while there buy an extra 5lts of whatever oil their using.

Not totally anal, i check mine once a week always keep a fresh litre bottle in the boot and change it every 5000ks. And as Alex said if your low level oil warning light comes on then it is usually a little late and damage could have been done.
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 11:34 PM

And as Alex said if your low level oil warning light comes on then it is usually a little late and damage could have been done.

There isn't a "LOW level" warning light, only "low oil pressure" warning light.
Thanks for the tips Eric, Buddy, Buzz, & Alexxx.

#9 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:17 AM

There isn't a "LOW level" warning light, only "low oil pressure" warning light.

same difference.

#10 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:33 AM

Just don't use the oil light as a guide on when to top her up! 1 more thing, a while ago my mech told me that because they're a "dry sump" (meaning the crankshaft isn't sitting in oil) you can actually "overfill" them without damage. He told me that he puts about 1lt over the full mark on his wife and daughters cars.

#11 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 06:36 AM

subaru untill around 2 months ago didnt have an oil level warning light, (came in with my10 liberty) the only way that the oil level will activate the oil pressure light is when its to late and your engine goes bang. most subaru oil pressure switches bring the light on at under 10 psi oil pressure. so really its to little, to late. is your local subaru dealer also a mazda dealer?

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#12 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

Just don't use the oil light as a guide on when to top her up!

1 more thing, a while ago my mech told me that because they're a "dry sump" (meaning the crankshaft isn't sitting in oil) you can actually "overfill" them without damage. He told me that he puts about 1lt over the full mark on his wife and daughters cars.

My service manual says to put in 4ltrs. i normally put in about an extra quarter ltr and that brings it up to the full mark on the dipstick when up to running temp..
Posted Image Posted Image

#13 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

Just don't use the oil light as a guide on when to top her up!

1 more thing, a while ago my mech told me that because they're a "dry sump" (meaning the crankshaft isn't sitting in oil) you can actually "overfill" them without damage. He told me that he puts about 1lt over the full mark on his wife and daughters cars.

Buzz, dont take this the wrong way.

Go and smack your mechanic in the head!

"dry sump......crank not sitting in oil" WTF!!!!!!! :dash2:

Subarus, like most cars, are a 'wet sump' lubrication system. Oil sits in the bottom of the sump and is drawn up into the oil pump through the pickup and fed around the engine under pressure, then returns to the sump. If the oil level falls below the pickup, its sucks air and you lose oil pressure. The crank spins above the upper most oil level.
If you over fill the oil, the counter weights and/or conrod big ends will crash into the oil and slow the crank and foam the oil. BAD. (although you can overfill safely by a small amount)

A 'dry sump' system stores the oil in a remotely mounted tank. An externally mounted pump consists typically of two or three 'scavenge' and a 'pressure' pump. The scavenge pumps are connected to either end of the sump and scavenge the oil that collects there and sends it to the tank. The pressure pump draws oil from the tank to lubricate the motor, thus ensuring reliable oil pressure under all driving conditions.

Some cars have both an oil level and oil pressure warning lamps. Toyota.
New Benz, the oil level is checked with a scan tool...Grrrrr.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#14 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:27 AM

Hahaha, no worries Jas, you should know by now I never take corrections personally.... happens too often. *edit* Maybe he said it was "like" a dry sump, meaning that the crank is sitting above the oil, not in it like a normal (vert) eng.

#15 Merlin01

Merlin01

N/A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

subaru untill around 2 months ago didnt have an oil level warning light, (came in with my10 liberty)
the only way that the oil level will activate the oil pressure light is when its to late and your engine goes bang.
most subaru oil pressure switches bring the light on at under 10 psi oil pressure. so really its to little, to late.

Thankfully it has never come on while the engine has been running!

is your local subaru dealer also a mazda dealer?

No, but I think they do Suzuki's.

#16 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 04:15 PM

Jason, thanks for that explanation. I've always wondered what a 'dry' sump was and you have just summed it up brilliantly. Rep points awarded for that post! Dylan

#17 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 10:28 PM

Thanks Dylan. Glad to help.

#18 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:14 AM

LOL at some comments, I just know how much oil my cars use between services, I change the bloody stuff so often it matters not anyway.... Mind you though, on my patrol I have oil pressure, oil temp, EGT, and boost gauges, it's amazing what you see happening inside your engine with the right gauges, but in the suby I don't worry, I know what is going on, lots of boost and oil flowing cause it's FULSIK STi mate ;) BTW, I think the correct analogy of the oil light on all cars is "the idiot light" because if it ever comes on your an idiot for allowing it to happen and deserve the subsequent engine failure that will likely follow about 10 seconds later. Just out of interest though, I am looking at a filtration system that allows you to NEVER change your oil, yes that's correct, never, if you don't want to anyway :) Good oil, in fact the best oil is oil that has been used already. Valvoline is recycled oil, its fantastic, mind you I wouldn't use it, but it's the purest oil you can get because when oil has been subjected to high temps and pressures in an engine it loses all the crappy qualities and rubbish in it and leaves the nice pure clean oil without residues or contaminants, just clean it up and away you go. This system I am looking at uses really high quality filters which you change every 10k and simply top up your oil, normal changes are scheduled every 200,000km. Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#19 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 07:23 AM

Just out of interest though, I am looking at a filtration system that allows you to NEVER change your oil, yes that's correct, never, if you don't want to anyway :)

Errrrr.......NO.
Dont di it.

To my understanding; filters remove the soild contaminents, not the chemical ones that are also produced when fuel is burnt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users