• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 toadcat

toadcat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

Hey Just bought some Forza racing seats which do not come with seat rails. How would I go about getting them bolted into my 2002 RX Liberty? Will the stock seats come off the rails and then just bolt the new seat onto the rails? Cheers

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:18 PM

There are some very important safety issues that need to be considered here. The factory seat belt buckle is attached to the seat and the floor as it moves with the seat. The new seats will have to be fitted in such a way that the mounting of the buckle is not compromised. I think the seat belt buckle also incorporates a 'pre-tensioning' device which is deployed along with the air bags. Basically it uses an 'explosive' (similar to an air bag) charge to rapidly drop the buckle down to tighten the seat belt in a collision. This will also need to be considered when fitting the new seats. The original seat rails are quite high as they also contain all the mechanisms for the height/tilt adjustment for the base.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:31 PM

sell the seats and buy GDB STi seats. Google it. Waaaaaaaaaaay less hassle.

MY07 GT spec B

#4 93tzlegacy

93tzlegacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 08:45 PM

get some GDB wrx buddy club seat rails off ebay, i have a drivers one and its a great fit and has a mount for the factory buckle (although i use it as a harness pick up) they are AROUND $200 EA

Benny's Custom Works supplying OEM new, aftermarket new and used parts at the best prices 

0415 522 512

wagonsyndicatesig.jpg

#5 toadcat

toadcat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 09:20 PM

Can the stock seats be separated from the seat rails?

#6 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 06:25 AM

Yes

#7 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

There are some very important safety issues that need to be considered here.

The factory seat belt buckle is attached to the seat and the floor as it moves with the seat. The new seats will have to be fitted in such a way that the mounting of the buckle is not compromised.
I think the seat belt buckle also incorporates a 'pre-tensioning' device which is deployed along with the air bags. Basically it uses an 'explosive' (similar to an air bag) charge to rapidly drop the buckle down to tighten the seat belt in a collision. This will also need to be considered when fitting the new seats.

The original seat rails are quite high as they also contain all the mechanisms for the height/tilt adjustment for the base.

Love your posts mate, great information. Very interesting to hear about pre-tensioners in a nutshell! Given you a rep. point for that.

#8 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:44 AM

There are some very important safety issues that need to be considered here.

The factory seat belt buckle is attached to the seat and the floor as it moves with the seat. The new seats will have to be fitted in such a way that the mounting of the buckle is not compromised.
I think the seat belt buckle also incorporates a 'pre-tensioning' device which is deployed along with the air bags. Basically it uses an 'explosive' (similar to an air bag) charge to rapidly drop the buckle down to tighten the seat belt in a collision. This will also need to be considered when fitting the new seats.

The original seat rails are quite high as they also contain all the mechanisms for the height/tilt adjustment for the base.

Indeed they do, although after 96 libs started using the air bag control module to control the seat belt charge.. MUCH SAFER!!!! Old boss was knocked out by a seatbelt cause the old ones were g-sensitive, he dropped one in the bucket of seat belts, it was tangled with a few others and it spun around REAL QUICK! and knocked him out :empathy3:

be carefull with the seatbelts! they are bloody dangerous.. you dont expect a seat belt to be dangerous but they are :blink:
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#9 toadcat

toadcat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 11:28 AM

Yes

So do you guys recon it'd be possible to just take the stock seats off their rails and get the aftermarket ones onto them?

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:13 PM

Not without modification. Remember the seat is a SAFTEY DEVICE so I wouldn't be friggin around with it. Reading the above posts, it would appear that there is a better, eaiser and safer option.

#11 Guest_aurelius_*

Guest_aurelius_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 12:22 PM

If you end up doing this, can you post a DIY? I have a few bucket seats at my disposal...

#12 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:26 PM

If you end up doing this, can you post a DIY? I have a few bucket seats at my disposal...

Mark you worry me :ph34r:

is saving a few $$ really worth your safty? also remember modifying seats or swapping them with something that does not come factory may give insurance a reason not to pay out.

#13 Guest_aurelius_*

Guest_aurelius_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:34 PM

Mark you worry me :ph34r:

is saving a few $$ really worth your safty? also remember modifying seats or swapping them with something that does not come factory may give insurance a reason not to pay out.

I never said I was paying for it :lol: If it can be done safely then I guess I could try it out...

#14 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:39 PM

Mark, Mark, Mark, Mark you worry me too.

Ty is right.
Not only is it an insurance headache but it technically makes your car unroadworthy.

#15 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:40 PM

i dont see why you would bother, there are so many different styles and types of subaru seat that are nearly ALL straight bolt in and won't fork up safety of the car or void your insurance...

MY07 GT spec B

#16 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

i dont see why you would bother, there are so many different styles and types of subaru seat that are nearly ALL straight bolt in and won't fork up safety of the car or void your insurance...

+1

STi seats would look better than "racing" seats too

#17 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:35 PM

I never said I was paying for it :lol: If it can be done safely then I guess I could try it out...

i meant instead of buying rex buckets..... but why do you want buckets? there is no lady time fun to be had in bucket seats :P

#18 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:37 PM

there is no lady time fun to be had in bucket seats :P

Lady time in cars is wayyyy overated,

Thats what beds and bedrooms are for.

#19 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 03:45 PM

I don't like where this is going. You've been warned toadcat. Very unsafe on many levels.

#20 Guest_aurelius_*

Guest_aurelius_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2009 - 04:34 PM

i meant instead of buying rex buckets..... but why do you want buckets? there is no lady time fun to be had in bucket seats :P

Because it's free, haha. Maybe someone will swap me for rex seats... B)

Buckets can be fun! You just have to be innovative, hahaha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users