#1 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:11 PM

Hey guys. I finally got the box in and running. after taking it out again to do it properly. Now when i drive it seems very rough. Idlng is smooth. But then when driving its seems to vibrate the car, and deceleration it hits the body, or something does. Im thinking mounts maybe. Anyone else experienced this? im going to jack it up on stands and inspect the mounts and everthing else is bolted up good. Can anyone else think what it could be? I need to get this sorted by Monday, the warranty runs out then and i ned to rule out gearbox being shot! Cheeeers!

Posted Image

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hey mate. Feel for you having problems. Props for getting it done. Could be bad mounts, could be out of balance tail shaft, doubt it's wrong ratio but have you ruled that out? If something is hitting the underside of the transmission tunnel when you jump off the accelerator it sounds like you perhaps missed a mount or forgot to tighten something!

#3 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:11 AM

Its a v2 sti box replacing a 96wrx box, so both are 4.11 im pretty sure anyway! The tailshaft is one piece so it shouldnt be out of balance i would have thought. but i wont rule it out! im going to inspect now! Wish me luck!!!

Posted Image

#4 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:12 AM

Here is an update; Mounts are all tight. The only one i havent checked yet is the pitch stopper. The dump to gearbox was a bit loose, so i tightened that up. But i dont think that will be the cause of the vibration, but maybe the bumps. So the next thing i did was start it up with the wheels off the ground, and put it in gear. and what i noticed is the rear of the tailshaft isnt spinning true, it has a bit of a wobble. so im thinking that this may be the cause, can anyone suggest how to possibly fix this? Or if it would evem be the cause? Cheers all!

Posted Image

#5 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 02:49 PM

Here is an update;

Mounts are all tight. The only one i havent checked yet is the pitch stopper.

The dump to gearbox was a bit loose, so i tightened that up. But i dont think that will be the cause of the vibration, but maybe the bumps.

So the next thing i did was start it up with the wheels off the ground, and put it in gear. and what i noticed is the rear of the tailshaft isnt spinning true, it has a bit of a wobble. so im thinking that this may be the cause, can anyone suggest how to possibly fix this? Or if it would evem be the cause?

Cheers all!

is it there play in the uni-joint?

MY07 GT spec B

#6 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:23 PM

is it there play in the uni-joint?

You sold him a Lemon! :sarcastic:

jk

#7 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 03:26 PM

You sold him a Lemon! :sarcastic:

jk

haha. he was the one driving the tits off it and busted third gear. thats a big effort to bust third!

you'll get it all sorted mate... just keep your patience

MY07 GT spec B

#8 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 05:54 PM

haha. he was the one driving the tits off it and busted third gear. thats a big effort to bust third!

you'll get it all sorted mate... just keep your patience

I just cant drive! :P i should learn because its too expensive otherwise haha!

Which uni joint theres 3 isnt there? ill go fiddle with em now and report back!

Like i said before though the rear half of the tail shaft doesnt seem to rotate as true as the front half, so i might unbolt it and see if i can re align it better!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users