#1 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:17 PM

The understeer on my RX is something I have found annoying since the day I got it. I can't see myself doing extensive suspension mods so I decided to track down some standard B4 sway bars (Thank Buzzda for that one!) to see if it would help the problem. I fitted them today and the end result is 17mm on the rear (up from 14mm) and 20mm on the front (down from 21mm). A quick dash home from work, where I fitted them, and I noticed the difference immediately. It seems to have made the handling much more neutral and turns in a little quicker. Also feels as if the body roll is a little less. I should probably go for a bit more of a run in it but so far I'm pretty happy. One thing I did notice is that the shape of the B4 front bar is slightly different to the RX, rear is the same. I suspect the difference is due to the exhaust of the B4 not running near the front bar. Mine has Borla replica headers (Thank SUBARU for that one!) so the bar is now VERY close to the headers. So close in fact, that on the hoist they all but touch. Once on the ground the clearance increases slightly. One the drive home I noticed they HIT when accelerating hard in first. Any other time is fine. I'm wondering if anyone else has struck this and if there is a simple fix? I could put a small dent in the header but I'd rather not. Cheers Jason.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#2 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:23 PM

Yay for the headers! Glad you like 'em. I've not heard of anyone putting B4 sways on the front. I've head of plenty of people putting the whiteline gear on with much improved results. If you don't want to butcher your headers, maybe some whiteline gear is in order? What tyres are you running? I too found the understeer annoying when I first got the RX. I started with the tyres, first Fulda, which improved the understeer problem 10 fold, then went to Maxxis MAV1's when I put the 17's on. These were even better. With the additions of Bilsteins, there is virtually no understeer and I'm still running with OEM sways on the front and rear.

#3 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

Is the RX front sway bar thicker than the B4 one? The B4 tends to oversteer much more than my RX, It's almost tail-happy for an AWD

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:39 PM

Yay for the headers! Glad you like 'em.

Cheers mate. Needs moar boxer note though. Stock mufflers are too good.

I've not heard of anyone putting B4 sways on the front. I've head of plenty of people putting the whiteline gear on with much improved results.
If you don't want to butcher your headers, maybe some whiteline gear is in order?

Yeah was thinking whiteline, but when I looked at the specs of the B4 I thought it a good place to start.
Besides, muuuuch cheaper!

What tyres are you running? I too found the understeer annoying when I first got the RX. I started with the tyres, first Fulda, which improved the understeer problem 10 fold, then went to Maxxis MAV1's when I put the 17's on. These were even better.
With the additions of Bilsteins, there is virtually no understeer and I'm still running with OEM sways on the front and rear.

I have Toyo T1Rs 215/45-17.
Thinking tyres are not really the issue.
I quite like the ride and I think the spring rate is good for a daily with that 'sporty feel'. Needs 30-35mm taken out of the front ride height. I have another set of springs (99cents on eBay!) so I'll set those and give it a try. Will most likely improve looks more than anything.
Keep looking sideways at Koni though. :)

Is the RX front sway bar thicker than the B4 one?
The B4 tends to oversteer much more than my RX, It's almost tail-happy for an AWD

Yup RX thicker on the front.

Thicker slides, thinner grips.

That's why the B4 is more neutral.

#5 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 08:56 PM

Cheers mate. Needs moar boxer note though. Stock mufflers are too good.

Mate, I have something that will fix that.

Sitting in the garage I have a 2.25 diff back with a glass packed oval muffler and 4" tip. It sounds good. Not farty at all, tough.

Had it custom made to fit all OEM mounting points and centre pipe. It was on the car for about 20000 k's and was $300 when I had it made.

Interested?

Lowering will help turn in a bit, but then you might face more of a problem with the front sways hitting the headers.
Might be worthwhile looking at putting the RX ones back on and then seeing how it performs once lowered a bit?

#6 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:03 PM

Oh.. Also have a straight through 2.25 centre pipe. Again, will bolt straight onto OEM mounting points.

#7 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:06 PM

Glad your happy with them , could try putting the RX front bar back on with the B4 rear as that (thicker rear) should still give less u/steer. :drinks:

#8 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:14 PM

Mate, I have something that will fix that.

Sitting in the garage I have a 2.25 diff back with a glass packed oval muffler and 4" tip. It sounds good. Not farty at all, tough.

Had it custom made to fit all OEM mounting points and centre pipe. It was on the car for about 20000 k's and was $300 when I had it made.

Interested?

Thanks. Very tempting Chris but I want to keep the car looking as stock as possible (more of a challenge that way) so I'm toying with the idea of cutting open the factory zorst and removing the baffles to get more of a note.

Lowering will help turn in a bit, but then you might face more of a problem with the front sways hitting the headers.
Might be worthwhile looking at putting the RX ones back on and then seeing how it performs once lowered a bit?

As the suspension drops the front bar swings away from the headers. Sounds like lowering is the solution!!! :)
Lowering the COG will help a bit so I'll try it and see.

Oh.. Also have a straight through 2.25 centre pipe. Again, will bolt straight onto OEM mounting points.

Mmmmmmmm might be worth a try before I butcher the stock resonators.
PM sent.

Glad your happy with them , could try putting the RX front bar back on with the B4 rear as that (thicker rear) should still give less u/steer. :drinks:

Thanks mate.
I think the thicker front RX bar may give back a small amount of u/steer but will solve the clearance issue. Might just try it and see.

I'm tempted to give it another align with a little more neg. camber to help it along. Front tyres seem to still be wearing a bit on the outside.

#9 SUBARU

SUBARU

Massive Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,542 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:24 PM

Thanks. Very tempting Chris but I want to keep the car looking as stock as possible (more of a challenge that way) so I'm toying with the idea of cutting open the factory zorst and removing the baffles to get more of a note.

Mmmmmmmm might be worth a try before I butcher the stock resonators.
PM sent.

No worries!

The tip on the diff back muffler I had made up is actually quite nice looking. Not a cannon or anything, but a proper muffler with a tip.
Interesting idea about playing with your stock exhaust! I have a feeling that it might sound a little "barky" or "farty" with the baffles removed.
The inclusion of a straight through centre pipe will probably change the sound a little, but that rear muffler is you main issue, they are very restrictive.

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:51 AM

Interesting idea about playing with your stock exhaust! I have a feeling that it might sound a little "barky" or "farty" with the baffles removed.
The inclusion of a straight through centre pipe will probably change the sound a little, but that rear muffler is you main issue, they are very restrictive.

You may well be right about sounding 'farty', but Im thinking that with the main muffler at the end of the system it may still shut that up a bit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users