Photo

Starter motor/ Alternator Rebuild options.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:33 PM

hey guys looking at rebuilding my starter motor and alternator.

I was looking for advice on finding some brushes to suit the alternator. Would i go to subaru? or to an auto electrician? or supercheap/repco?

i figure i can get the bearings from a local bearing specialst.

For the starter motor i need new magnetic connector plates. I did see a kit to rebuild wrx ones on ebay from the US,a few months ago. but i cant find them now.

Circled in red.
Posted Image

for anyone with starter motor problems where the starter motor makes a clicking noise, a small piece of cardboard, from a ceral box under the lowest (most worn) connector will fix the problem. Its a band-aid solution, but its lasted over a year for me now.

Cheers Mark

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 27 January 2010 - 07:48 PM

Repco may do the brushes over the trade counter. Yup, bearings from a bearing supplier! Don't forget to dress the slip rings on the rotor shaft or the new brushes will flog out. Is it internal or external regulator? Those starter contacts look too small. Hunt around and see if anyone makes a heavy duty set. The contacts are bigger (like two half circles that almost touch) so reduce resistance and don't burn out as quick. Try Ashdowns. I think thats where I used to get them. Many a moon ago though! You doing the brushes?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:14 PM

Cheers J! internal regulator it is, i didnt think of changing that, but i guess i may aswell if im replacing everything else. where would i get one of them from? The starter contacts are just what was in it from factory. i guess i could just get some 2-3mm thick copper and make my own if worst comes to worst. Theirs an Ashdowns place not to far from me so i'll check them out on friday. Thanks again Jason

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#4 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:48 PM

No worries. Internal reg may have the brushes as part of it. Try Ashdowns for that too but check where it's made. Try not to get anything that comes out of a takeaway shop! Cheers

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users