• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dobbo

Dobbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

Hey all, Just wondering if you guys can help me with some advice on what to do with my ride. I dont know a great deal about cars, so any help will be good help. Looking for a couple of small jobs/mods that i can do to get a bit more out of the car. Thinking things like air filter replacement, etc. Also, what fuel would you guys recommend? Cheers, Dobbo

#2 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:17 AM

Some ways to personalise your car (if it hasnt already been done): Wheels Exhaust Tint Lowered suspension Sterio upgrades Number plates? With your car, any engine mods arent going to do a great deal so id stick to aesthetic and handling upgrades. I use either 98 or 95 octane unleaded fuel - whichever is available. Mostly 98. It is better for the car but more expensive. Mum had to borrow my car a few months back and filled up with regular 91 and I really noticed the difference when I put my foot down. Nothing happened! I would recommend using popular branded petrol stations (Shell, Caltex, Mobil, etc). Some of the independant ones' fuel is soiled with other crap. Not saying that mainstream fuel is in any way perfect but you're more likely to get a better batch!. (from my experience anyway)

IM47Gcv.jpg

#3 Dobbo

Dobbo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:31 AM

Thanks mate, For the time being im fine with the Wheels/Rims and I have already got the darkest legal tint. But in regards to the exhaust, are you suggesting a new system, or just a muffler or what? Will a new muffler make any performance impact? Also, I have a JCV head unit (jvc kd lx330r) and was wondering if you could recommend some speakers/amp/sub ?

#4 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:39 AM

A decent free flowing muffler should be all you need, however you can go for a 2" or 2.5" exhaust and replacement headers if you really want to, I would just stick with a nice free flowing muffler personally. As for the speakers and amp, my advice in those areas would be to stick to mainstream stuff like sony and pioneer, but I'm not really up with the latest stuff there, so somebody else should answer that one. If replacing the panel filter go with a cotton one like K&N, it's washable and re-usable, just make sure you get the kit to do that and read the instructions carefully to ensure it's cleaned and re-oiled right, don't over-oil it. While at the filter you can remove the resonator in the front guard, another option is to fabricate a cold air intake onto that from behind the bumper, it does actually help a bit, more on turbo cars though really, just make sure it can't suck in water if you do it. Welcome to the group and good luck with your mods, remember, keep it simple. Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#5 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 08:41 AM

You wont really get any performance gain from anything you do to your car. A ne exhaust system may allow it to breathe easier but you wont feel any power differences. There were some options for speakers/amp/sub in your other thread. It is often up to personal preference to what type you get and what music you listen to. Make a trip to your local JB Hi-Fi or something. Check out their range and try them out and see which one takes your fancy.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#6 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 09:38 AM

H6 Conversion!

#7 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 28 January 2010 - 11:27 AM

If you get a new zorst and its a 2.2 dont go higher than a 2 inch pipe. unless you want to downgrade perormance. I had a 2.5 pipe on mine and it made it pretty noticable.

Posted Image

#8 scottyb

scottyb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:03 PM

2.25inch cat-back exhaust system and an oval sports muffler did wonders for my 2.2 gen1 as far as fuel goes i just use 91 cos im poor and my car isnt that great, i give it some 98 occasionally if im feeling generous lol. definitely look into upgrading the stereo, getting a good sound system was probably the best thing ive done for my, makes it so much more enjoyable.

#9 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

getting a good turbo was probably the best thing ive done for my car, makes it so much more enjoyable.

I agree.

#10 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:28 PM

Sony is no longer as good as the name as far as car audio also... i swapped from a $400 sony HU and moved to Pioneer, might just be me but the sound just was not as crisp, also i suffered from more noise overall.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#11 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Sony is no longer as good as the name as far as car audio also... i swapped from a $400 sony HU and moved to Pioneer, might just be me but the sound just was not as crisp, also i suffered from more noise overall.

I had a Sony HU in my old car, It did the job, Wasn't great though - Pioneer are usually of a higher standard without too much extra cost.

#12 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:22 PM

Go back to Clarion...you know you want too!

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#13 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

Go back to Clarion...you know you want too!

You know if the stock HU came with USB i would still be using it!
actually even if the light still worked i would probably be using it!
i even bought another clarion before my Pioneer but it was shit :( very poor build quality for something that was $300

$215 for MP3, USB, sub control and RCA out all with something that suits with my interior... i am happy with my Pioneer. sounds gooood too.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#14 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

You know if the stock HU came with USB i would still be using it!
actually even if the light still worked i would probably be using it!
i even bought another clarion before my Pioneer but it was shit :( very poor build quality for something that was $300

$215 for MP3, USB, sub control and RCA out all with something that suits with my interior... i am happy with my Pioneer. sounds gooood too.

Pioneer is the shit! I used their latest range topping system worth about $2500 and it was miles ahead of anything I've seen prior.

Oh and I do have my old Clarion H/U lying around with working back light. Also have OEM Clarion 6-stacker...

#15 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:17 PM

I love your HU Shiv! Matches in so well! How much it set you back?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#16 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:39 PM

Yeh its a great basic double din HU. It set me back about $400-something dollars. Got it cheap off a mate who gets them direct off Clarion. I'm a fan of big round volume dials and chunky preset buttons for the radio :)

#17 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts

Posted 28 January 2010 - 04:14 PM

Haha yea it is a good system! Im thinking about what im going to do when i get the OBK. Whenever that is! :P It has the space for a double din HU, as do all gen3s. Dont want something too pricey as i plan to splurge more on the speakers but something similar to yours is an option. Plus it matches everything and i like that :)

IM47Gcv.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users