←  Anything Goes

Suby Club

»

Tech Advice?

Alex's Photo Alex 31 Jan 2010

I'm starting to feel nauseated about the real lack of tech advice, or appreciation of said tech advice, of late. And when people do ask for assistance, they simply palm it off. I ask.... what is it that you want? Brett Middleton to come along, and fix your car for several million dollars? I like to think that I'm somewhat handy around a Subaru. I've recently pulled down my turbo and exhaust off for reconditioning and painting, and I've done many other things with my Subaru and other cars, including brakes, suspension work, exhaust work, interior work, basic auto-electrical, and paint & panel . I've assisted with numerous other activities, including engine and gearbox conversions, engine builds, tyres, wheels, and tuning to name a couple. There's a handful of you who range from tech savvy backyard tweakers like me, who aren't afraid to get their hands dirty swinging spanners, to those of you who are full blown professionals, and who even instruct on the matter at educational institutions. Guys, this rant isn't directed at you. What this rant is directed at, are not only those who are too afraid to learn about their cars, but those who simply refuse to accept good will and gesture, by sharing in our collective experiences of working and fixing our cars - Subaru or otherwise. You ask for advice, we give it to you with the best intentions.....THEN YOU CHALLENGE IT? It's now got to the point where I now feel reluctant in helping out. What I'm saying is that you ask the question, we give you a honest answer to help you out in the most cost effective manner, only to be slammed? If this kind of attitude continues, we'll be back to chatting about parking British cars. :dash2:

skillionaire's Photo skillionaire 31 Jan 2010

Hi, Honestly, if anything I thought the minor restructure of the layout has encouraged a lot more technical threads. Cheers, Nik

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 01 Feb 2010

I love learning new things, Especially about cars. All through growing up, i always used to pull things apart and put things back together to see how they work, I like getting my hands dirty, Especially on my old car, i would do absolutely everything myself (which somtimes was a bit dodgey) On my new car i said i was never going to do anything in halves like my old one, Everything has to be done right, That's why i am getting most or all of the work done on the B4 by professionals. I would love to do things by myself, but im scared i would stuff something up or snap something.

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 01 Feb 2010

I like learning new things also, was really into IT and electrical things growin up but now cars have taken over. i work in IT so i dont wanna touch it when i get home lol. I think i learnt more about engines when i did my headgasket myself than you could learn reading! prior to that i was uber noob im still noob but i like to think of myself as a Experienced Noob :P and that experience might just be growing by a whole other engine after today ;) (more info tonight)

SUBARU's Photo SUBARU 01 Feb 2010

I like things.

B4TT's Photo B4TT 01 Feb 2010

:D stuff is good :D I will offer help when I can :D

Alex's Photo Alex 01 Feb 2010

You lads aren't getting it. So let me rephrase. I like stuff. I like giving stuff. I give people stuff when they ask for it. If I give someone who's asked for stuff, and they no longer like my stuff, they can get stuffed. Geddit?

Delete This Account's Photo Delete This Account 01 Feb 2010

You lads aren't getting it.

So let me rephrase.

I like stuff.

I like giving stuff.

I give people stuff when they ask for it.

If I give someone who's asked for stuff, and they no longer like my stuff, they can get stuffed.

Geddit?

I did up until that post :D

B4TT's Photo B4TT 01 Feb 2010

Sounds like youve given some thing to someone who in no way appreciates the kind gesture?

RX25SE's Photo RX25SE 01 Feb 2010

Confusing gratitude with attitude....

CodeBurn3r's Photo CodeBurn3r 01 Feb 2010

Ohhhhh i geddit... Can i have your wheels. i will still like them after you give them to me... probably more so.

Evil_VZ-T's Photo Evil_VZ-T 01 Feb 2010

Its because the questions asked Are not very "technical".

Dylan's Photo Dylan 01 Feb 2010

What is this thread even about anyway?

ams's Photo ams 02 Feb 2010

What is this thread even about anyway?

Not sure. Maybe gold star rewards.

I get what your saying Alex, but I don't see what exactly your proposing we should do to fix it.

You know we all appreciate your input as we do with anyone who has actual helpful/technical input to any thread asking information.

We aren't a long-running site like RSLC (yet) so we need to make the most of what we do have, a pretty good community of chumps - a majority of which don't take the off-topic threads too seriously and contribute to the technical threads when they feel they can.

You ask for advice, we give it to you with the best intentions.....THEN YOU CHALLENGE IT?

This I agree with completely. Next one get's bitch slapped.

Billsy's Photo Billsy 03 Feb 2010

makes perfect sense alex, ive had some of it aswell. i just dont bother much anymore unless asked directly, as i dont have the same free time i used to and often get no thanks or just more stupid questions. even if i offer to help someone they want me to drive an hour across town to do so... not likely for someone i dont know from bar of soap.

CRUISN's Photo CRUISN 03 Feb 2010

even if i offer to help someone they want me to drive an hour across town to do so... not likely for someone i dont know from bar of soap.

Thats when you charge (money, beer, sex (if that is an option :D) ) for said time usage. :D

Dylan's Photo Dylan 03 Feb 2010

I personally do not see the big issue here. If you offer someone advice and they challenge it, fair enough. You as the advice giver should know enough about it to be able to back up your advice with some solid reasoning. You cannot expect everyone to just take what you say as gospel. Period. If you offer goods or services to somebody you can't expect they will read your mind and pay you in money or items, if offering assistance to mates or fellow enthusiasts is such an issue outright you should make sure you state your price in the first instance. This post is generalised, it is not aimed directly at you Alex or anyone else. If I offer advice / assistance to someone that does not accept I move on. Alternatively when someone gives me help with anything I try my best to make that up to them. Simple as that.

Xon's Photo Xon 03 Feb 2010

Uh...? Yeah it's annoying when it happens but what are you going to do about it? Do you expect admin to ban everyone that questions your advice?

Alex's Photo Alex 03 Feb 2010

Uh...? Yeah it's annoying when it happens but what are you going to do about it? Do you expect admin to ban everyone that questions your advice?

Luke.

Seriously.

Are you trying to antagonise matters here?

You of all people. You don't know terribly much, yet you profess you do.

Go Away.

Billsy gets the idea. And it's frustrating.

Dylan - I guess you wouldn't see it. I mean, eventually, tech threads stay in the memory, and when you search for answers, you get something of a result like Ozliberty - absolute tripe and rubbish answers.

Is that the kind of forum you want to establish? Another Ozliberty that's full of shit and misinformation?

Dylan's Photo Dylan 03 Feb 2010

Dylan - I guess you wouldn't see it. I mean, eventually, tech threads stay in the memory, and when you search for answers, you get something of a result like Ozliberty - absolute tripe and rubbish answers.

Is that the kind of forum you want to establish? Another Ozliberty that's full of shit and misinformation?

Well no, you know that isn't the aim here. I don't think it comes down to it being misinformation if someone questions your advice though - I believe it then results in a rather informed discussion about that particular topic, which is more beneficial for all. If any of the involved parties do not care to partake in that (for whatever reason) then yes, you can end up with a lot of misinformation and unanswered questions.