• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:00 AM

I had my clutch replaced around 7000k's ago which i'm 99% Sure they replaced the bearings as well, Since about 2000k's ago it has been making a whurring noise when the clutch pedal is in (Mainly when it's Cold, Goes away when Warm) Sounds really weird My question is how long can a drive with a whurring clutch release bearing before it completly fails? Will it completely fail or just continue making noise until i replace it? And if they replaced the bearing when they did my clutch should it be under warranty?

#2 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:14 AM

Hey man, They wont cover it under warranty they will just say that you have been too hard on it... tis what all the clutch manufacturers say most of the time. Would be a shitty job just to replace one of those, personally if mine was noisy I would probably replace it as they are not massively expensive.. it may after extensive use cease up? which would probably leave you stranded in gear. just by a new thrust race bearing and then split the box/engine.. shouldn't have to drop the box right out just move it back so you can pry the old one from the clutch cover plate and then pop the new one on..... wait you drive a B4 don't you?

#3 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:19 AM

Hey man, They wont cover it under warranty they will just say that you have been too hard on it... tis what all the clutch manufacturers say most of the time.

Would be a shitty job just to replace one of those, personally if mine was noisy I would probably replace it as they are not massively expensive.. it may after extensive use cease up? which would probably leave you stranded in gear.

just by a new thrust race bearing and then split the box/engine.. shouldn't have to drop the box right out just move it back so you can pry the old one from the clutch cover plate and then pop the new one on..... wait you drive a B4 don't you?

The worst thing is it's a relitively cheap part, But labour is a killer!
And i think removing the dumps/gearbox is well out of my depth lol
(If only i had the time and the tools!)

So is a thrust bearing the same as the release bearing? Or whatever it's called

#4 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:25 AM

yeah same shit man... :D hmm shame you weren't in Sydney.. I could have done it for you for a sly beer. Probably less then $50 for a new bearing.. and yeah your right they would charge you like $300 labour. How noisy are you talking?? as in grinding screaming dirty yucky bad or just a slight noise?

#5 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

yeah same shit man... :D

hmm shame you weren't in Sydney.. I could have done it for you for a sly beer.
Probably less then $50 for a new bearing.. and yeah your right they would charge you like $300 labour.

How noisy are you talking?? as in grinding screaming dirty yucky bad or just a slight noise?

Hahaha if only you where in Adelaide :P

It's fairly noisy when it first starts up (Cold)
It's not a "Grinding screaming dirty yucky bad" noise haha, Just a slight whurring nosie :)

#6 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

This is as close as i could find to it on youtube: But only when the clutch is IN and not OUT It's not as quick as that though, More of a slow whurring, and not quite as loud.

#7 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:31 PM

Thrust/release/throwout bearing, all the same. Think I paid about $80 for one. Dylanf's been driving on a stuffed bearing for ages. More than likely it'll annoy you so much you'll be dying to change it long before it seizes up!

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#8 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:41 PM

ahhh yeah..I think I drove mine for about 8000Km's before I changed it.. was being lazy. $80.. you got ripped :P

#9 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

ahhh yeah..I think I drove mine for about 8000Km's before I changed it.. was being lazy.

$80.. you got ripped :P

Good to hear, Driving to Qld in a couple of weeks, So i'll get it done when i come back! :D

#10 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

ahhh yeah..I think I drove mine for about 8000Km's before I changed it.. was being lazy.

$80.. you got ripped :P

Yeah I was in a hurry unfortunately, didn't have time to shop around :(

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#11 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

trues.. thats probably pretty close to retail anyways...

#12 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:11 PM

Here is the noise: Please confirm it :)

#13 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:26 PM

and you said it only does it with the clutch in?

#14 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 01:28 PM

and you said it only does it with the clutch in?

Yes, I was riding the clutch in the second vid to show you the sound, as soon as the clutch is out it stops

#15 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

i paid $50 for mine, the old one was fugging dry and looked kinda rusty lol was very noisy also but it still ran fine :P i think it would take alot for it to completely seize!
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#16 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:24 PM

agreed..... still... such a shitty part to fail hey

#17 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 08:30 AM

i know how you feel though tom... little sounds annoy the shit outta me more than obvious ones. such as my forking sunroof! it creaks for what seems like eternity after i close it, and it doesnt stop if i punch the roof or push on any part of the assembaly soooo annoying. Mate just wait till its up on hoist next for whatever reason, then inquire about the cost of replacement. like mentioned before it shouldnt be too hard to split and replace.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users