14 replies to this topic

#1 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:56 AM

Hey guys,

As most of you with kids will know there are New Child Restraint Laws, whilst I whole heartedly support the new rules they haven't been very well thought out IMO.

As many of you will also know the new laws revolve around the age of the child. Our 2nd eldest is 3 1/2 and approx 22kg which cos of his size we have put him in a booster seat using the lap sash belt, but, by the new laws he should be in a "forward facing seat with in-built harness". Problem with that is you can't get a seat with an inbuilt harness for over 18kg.

Common sense told me what we have done would be ok but not wanting to get caught out by the constabultary I rang the RTA to query this. After the call centre girl couldn't help ("sorry, we don't have very much information on that." srsly WTF!?) was put thr to the "engineering" dept. who has informed me that whilst he is under 4, because of his size/weight, a booster seat with lap sash s/belt (what we have him in now) will be fine.

Bottom line is, if you have your kids in a suitable restraint for their size/weight you'll be fine....

Just thought I'd post up what I found incase anyone else here has solid kids and was unsure! :D

#2 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:05 AM

mr buzz. calling the RTA is about as useful as bobbing for apples with no teeth or dentures. I'm not sure about the availability of these out your way, but try and find an RTA endorsed child safety restraint fitting station. They have engineers who can suggest, visually inspect and install equipment to suit your needs.

#3 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 11:56 AM

Thanks mate, we do have a couple here, however, they're at baby shops and the "engineers" are the people that own/work at the shop and don't seem/want to know much more than which seat is the most expensive. I'm very confident that I can choose and install the correct size/type seat for each child myself. It was just the "grey" area around age/weight that had me a bit confused as seats are rated by weight and the new laws are based on the childs age.

#4 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:24 PM

Buzz, my missus knows all the ins and outs of this. she is a nut about baby stuff,walking through shopping centres and she is naming strollers and saying "that one is not ADR approved due to blah blah blah blah" do you know what a farking quinny buzz is? cause i do, i know they had 3 revisions, and the first was not so safe for some reason. also all that crap about anti submarine belts... ffs its insane, the reason we needs a bigger car for the damn mini recaro's she got for the kids. anywho, the model we do have is good in that it is reversable and fits baby through to a about a 6 year old.. bad side, my maltese only just fits between the 2 seats in the back in the gen2 :P ill get some more info when i get home. but i do aggree its a bit grey as far as what you are alowed to do.. truth is most cops probably dont know, aslong as they are not in the front seat and the belt sits over their sholder height its ok.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#5 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 12:50 PM

Buzz, my missus knows all the ins and outs of this.
she is a nut about baby stuff,walking through shopping centres and she is naming strollers and saying "that one is not ADR approved due to blah blah blah blah"
do you know what a farking quinny buzz is? cause i do, i know they had 3 revisions, and the first was not so safe for some reason.

LOL, no what is a "quinny buzz"?

I just make sure they've got the red ticks (ADR approved).

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

You mean you don't send your children to boarding school in Afghanistan? sif i'd let a child sit in my car! :P

#7 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 01:18 PM

Bahahahahahahahaha, lucky you.... you have a choice. But what if the child was in company of a hot MILF??...... Decision time!!

#8 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

To the bonnet
Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

Buzz, we had similar laws come in down here. I still believe they a a little slack, but that's another story. To restrain the child I would use a 'H' harness. It replaces the inbuilt harness and is rated to a higher weight and uses the lap part of the adult seat belt. To do this you will need a 'gated buckle' (you may already have one) to connect the sash of the belt to the lap of the belt, thus making a lap only type belt. My eldest is 5 1/2 and 22kg (should I feed her more?) and still is using the 5 point harness in the booster seat. I figure 4kg over is still inside the engineering margins but I will be swapping her for a 'H' harness very soon. Perhaps do a little research to confirm what I have said.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 10:34 AM

sif i'd let a child sit in my car!

:P

Awww c'mon Alex. Why not?????

They don't spill food or drink........much

or fight........much

or rub grubby fingers on the glass.......much

or kick the back of the front seats......much.

Actually mine are pretty good, all our friends with kids can't believe how clean our cars are!

#11 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:09 AM

Buzz, we had similar laws come in down here.
I still believe they a a little slack, but that's another story.

To restrain the child I would use a 'H' harness. It replaces the inbuilt harness and is rated to a higher weight and uses the lap part of the adult seat belt. To do this you will need a 'gated buckle' (you may already have one) to connect the sash of the belt to the lap of the belt, thus making a lap only type belt.

My eldest is 5 1/2 and 22kg (should I feed her more?) and still is using the 5 point harness in the booster seat. I figure 4kg over is still inside the engineering margins but I will be swapping her for a 'H' harness very soon.

Perhaps do a little research to confirm what I have said.

Jase, there is also the height factor, which the childs shoulder shouldn't be above the point where the inbuilt harness comes thr the seat

This is the interesting/confusing part: FAQ's
What if my child is too small or too large for the type of restraint specified for my child’s age?If a child is too small for a restraint specified for their age, they should be kept in a previous level of restraint for as long as necessary.

If a child is too large for a restraint specified for their age, they may move to the next level of restraint.

A child aged between six months and four years of age will need to move to the next level of restraint when:

Their shoulders no longer fit comfortably within the restraint; or
Their eye-level is higher than the back of the restraint; or
The top insertion slots for the shoulder straps are below the level of the child’s shoulders.
A child aged between four and seven years of age will need to move to the next level of restraint if:

Their shoulders no longer fit comfortably within the restraint; or
Their eye-level is higher than the back of the booster seat (when measured perpendicularly from the seat back).
Children should remain in a child restraint for as long as physically possible.

What is the difference between an inbuilt harness and an accessory child safety harness?An inbuilt harness is made at the time of manufacture as part of the child restraint. It is suitable for children weighing up to 18 kg. There are no inbuilt harnesses available for children over 18 kg.

A child safety harness is purchased separately. It is suitable for children that weigh between 18 kg and 32 kg. These harnesses must be used according to the instruction, to prevent unnecessary injury to children.

Can I use an accessory child safety harness instead of a lap and sash seatbelt with my booster seat?A child safety harness should not be used if a lap and sash seatbelt is available. Research suggests a lap and sash seatbelt it is just as safe, or safer, than using a child safety harness, when correctly fitted.

The use of an accessory child safety harness is recommended only in a position where the vehicle seat has a lap-only seatbelt. Research has shown that the likelihood of a child safety harness being used incorrectly is very high and the risk of injuries when incorrectly used is much higher compared to a lap-sash seatbelt

P.S I just weighed the kids 6yo is 26kg, 3 1/2 is actually 20kg (not 22) and our 20mth old is 14.5kg. I wouldn't consider any of them anywhere near "fat".... they're just solid.

#12 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

Buzz, Yes I have considered the height factor. This is the other reason I will move the 5 1/2 yo to a 'H' harness. I have an issue with the last point on the fact that "Research suggests a lap and sash seatbelt it is just as safe, or safer, than using a child safety harness" as the harness provides greater support over the chest and the lap section of the belt remains low over the pelvis providing it is fitted correctly. Also I get really annoyed when I see people who have bought the safest child seat they can find, only to fit or use it incorrectly. I wish the authorities would allow the use of the European "isofix" (Subaru has it!) system here but they currently do not comply with Australian design rules and require the Australian car manufacturers to come on board. Australia has some of the most rigorous tests for child seats in cars but they don't address the issue of incorrect installation. Sorry for the rant. :) Thanks for link mate! PS I get the solid thing! A mate has a daughter the same age/height s mine but she weighs a ton! Not fat a all.

#13 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Yeah not much point having them in a seat if the seats gonna be moving round. Our booster seats have harness attachments on them so that they don't move.

#14 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 21 February 2010 - 12:26 AM

Awww c'mon Alex. Why not?????

They don't spill food or drink........much

or fight........much

or rub grubby fingers on the glass.......much

or kick the back of the front seats......much.

Actually mine are pretty good, all our friends with kids can't believe how clean our cars are!

ex's kid brother picked a hole in the window tint in the back passenger window....much.

grrrrrrrr.

#15 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:19 AM

The Isofix thing would be good! i hate squishing my arm behind the seats to push the belt through! arghhhh also as far as kids go mine are actualyl really good, they know not to kick the back of daddy's seats or the car will stop and they are turned around to rear facing (well when they used to fit that way atleast lol)
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users