aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:34 PM

Posted Image

DESPITE ANNOUNCING IN 2005 that it would launch a hybrid version of the Liberty, new reports this week suggest that Subaru is considering a switch to the Impreza platform for its first hybrid model, due in 2012.

US magazine Road & Track has quoted sources at Subaru this week, claiming that the change is due to issues with the Liberty chassis not being able to properly accommodate Subaru's hybrid drivetrain.

It is unclear which of its conventional petrol engines Subaru will use with its hybrid technology. While the Road & Track report suggests the 2.5 litre engine is in line for a hybrid makeover, the 2.0 litre engine offered in Japan and Australia seems a better option if fuel economy is the ultimate aim.

Posted Image

Subaru's Hybrid Tourer Concept, unveiled at the Tokyo Motor Show last year, mates a 2.0 litre direct-injected flat-four boxer engine and permanent AWD drivetrain with a pair of electric motors and a dramatic gullwinged body.

Subaru has dabbled in hybrids before the Hybrid Tourer, unveiling the petrol-electric B5 TPH concept at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2005, however this is the first solid indication from the Japanese company that it is committed to the technology.

Toyota, which holds a 16 percent stake in Subaru's parent company, Fuji Heavy Industries (FHI), is providing technological assistance for the project.

This info and more can be found at: http://www.themotorreport.com.au

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 B1B2andB4

B1B2andB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 09 March 2010 - 09:52 PM

Hmmmm, i am sure it will take them a little while to get this technology perfect. Toyota have not really had the best run of late. Maybe Suby should not follow the TOYOT'S too closely. (i am sure they are not) Maybe.. But we will all be buying water cars by 2020.

I CRAWLED,I WALKED,I SUBY"D

I B4 thee, you go after me.

#3 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 05:34 AM

i beg to differ, toyota are the frontrunners on hybrid cars at the moment... the camery will be hugely popular they will have that market downpat!

MY07 GT spec B

#4 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:15 AM

i beg to differ, toyota are the frontrunners on hybrid cars at the moment... the camery will be hugely popular they will have that market downpat!

No, LOL they do it but there are other companies with far far far better ways of doing it that wont be too far off.... basically every few years hybrid technology improves a fair bit. Toyota doesn't currently allow for that technology to be transplanted into the hybrids that they are selling now which means these cars will be pretty undesirable in a few years when something with double the range comes along, other manufacturers are looking at producing hybrids/electrics that will allow for the hybrid/electric side to be upgraded as the technology becomes available.

#5 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

I heard about this the other day somewhere, I can't imagine me ever forking out money for one but I guess it's a good idea overall.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#6 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 06:49 PM

No, LOL they do it but there are other companies with far far far better ways of doing it that wont be too far off.... basically every few years hybrid technology improves a fair bit. Toyota doesn't currently allow for that technology to be transplanted into the hybrids that they are selling now which means these cars will be pretty undesirable in a few years when something with double the range comes along, other manufacturers are looking at producing hybrids/electrics that will allow for the hybrid/electric side to be upgraded as the technology becomes available.

toyota has been leading the sales for years now... bout time everyone else caught up...

MY07 GT spec B

#7 B1B2andB4

B1B2andB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 10 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

All i meant was Toyots have had a FEW troubles lately with recalls, maybe they rushing the tech a little?

I CRAWLED,I WALKED,I SUBY"D

I B4 thee, you go after me.

#8 Trent

Trent

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 10 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

Hybrid cars are for suckers. Rather than pay over $40K for a base model prius(or $55K for the itech), i'd buy a mazda 2 at over $22K (or $37K for the itech) cheaper. Price of fuel would need to climb pretty high before the prius worked out cheaper than the mazda.

#9 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 01:15 AM

At least they are going back to saloon shape, dont know what they were thinking when they made the hatchback version of the Impreza, was not a huge fan of that shape.
Posted Image Posted Image

#10 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 11 March 2010 - 07:35 AM

toyota has been leading the sales for years now... bout time everyone else caught up...

Only through blind brand allegiance, souless people with no real thought go out and buy anything with a Toyota badge.

The others player have been a little slower to get something like that on the market because they wanted to build something that will still be usefull as an 'environmentally friendly' car 10 years down the track..... Toyota have not done this.

#11 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 11 March 2010 - 08:10 AM

Hybrids are not as eco friendly as the advertising would have you believe. The battery production produces a lot of pollution. Wait a few years until they have to start scrapping some of these "enviromentally freindly" hybrids it could turn out to cause more damage than running your petrol car for its lifetime.
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users