9 replies to this topic

#1 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

Hi guys, had injector flush and upper engine clean done today, then a dyno to get a baseline.
I was impressed with the result, and it was on a dyno from a company that does not tune subaru's, I trust this dyno and always have as the people who run it are Porsche people.

Dyno run showed 128.9kw ATW for standard MY05 Liberty 3.0R Spec B, so considering it should have 180kw at the flywheel I am pretty happy with that result.

Also installed a 3" cat back exhaust today, a really nice looking system in stainless and all, from XForce.

Thanks to Nick at NRG Automotive for his commitment today, he really knows his stuff there, I can't wait to start the ECU tuning as well.
Dyno chart shows power and tractive effort, interesting to see the flutter around when AVCS is kicking in, need to tune that unwanted behaviour out !

Also added exhaust sound :) here

Regards
Paul

Attached Files

GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#2 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 09:48 PM

Nice mate. Looking forward to seeing the next dyno result :)

#3 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:29 PM

um... wtf is with your torque...?

not only are you supposedly making 540Nm of torque (over the 300NM it makes stock)

but it wavers around like a tripper at a rave

red line is 2.5" exhaust... blue line is 2.25" exhaust with 2" rear muffler:
Posted Image

torque curve is flat...
and the big jump is when AVLS kicked in...

it's been retuned for a smoother transition now... i'll find it and upload it when i get the chance...

ps... sorry to hijack... just interested to compare

2mmwi1w.jpg

#4 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Uhhh, I don't know... Paul

#5 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

umm for starters its untuned. because this is how the came out from the factory to meet emissions/regulations etc. also you can't measure Nm properly on a dyno.

MY07 GT spec B

#6 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 22 April 2010 - 04:44 PM

Gen4 wagon goodness. :D look forward to more updates. I will get the wifes GT tuned after the RSLC meet.

OEM+

#7 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:11 PM

not sure I follow Alex, how else would you measure tractive effort than on a dyno ? Regards Paul

#8 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:15 AM

tractive effort and engine torque are different things, as i'm sure you know apparently it's difficult to discern the Nm of a motor from the tractive effort produced on the dyno... unless exact ratios and drivetrain loss figures are known... from my experience, for the most part, people accept that tractive effort in Newtons is roughly 10x the Nm of the motor... hence, my 3500N of tractive effort is generally accepted at 350Nm and alex, sure it's untuned... but an apparent jump of 30Nm would be rather noticable in real world driving... would it not...?

2mmwi1w.jpg

#9 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:24 AM

tractive effort and engine torque are different things, as i'm sure you know

apparently it's difficult to discern the Nm of a motor from the tractive effort produced on the dyno... unless exact ratios and drivetrain loss figures are known...

from my experience, for the most part, people accept that tractive effort in Newtons is roughly 10x the Nm of the motor...

hence, my 3500N of tractive effort is generally accepted at 350Nm

and alex, sure it's untuned... but an apparent jump of 30Nm would be rather noticable in real world driving... would it not...?

thats because its on a dyno not the road! completely different driving conditions.

nm figures on the dyno can be blown completely out of proportion. there are so many variables to set up a dyno. the only way you could gauge how much difference there is by doing a before and after dyno run on the same day with all the same dyno settings.

MY07 GT spec B

#10 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:55 AM

That was the whole point of this exercise, to get a baseline on a known dyno to compare ongoing results with. This dyno is never fiddled, there is no reason to with the guys that own it, it is the only dyno in Sydney that I would consider to supply reliable figures day in day out as the people do not do paid tuning on it, hence the figures they give to customers are in the "who cares" category. Alex I don't think anybody would argue that running on a dyno is different to the real road, but it's the next best thing when it comes to comparing with the real road. Sure tractive effort is not the same as NM, but then the only real way to gauge differences are with the bum dyno :) I reckon though, after just towing a 800kg odd trailer for 600 kays I think it would dyno better now, this H6 has power to burn when towing, unbelievable really up the hills, yes you have to rev it a bit, bit it's been designed like that and even with that weight on the back went very very well. Regards Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users