• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dube

Dube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

Hey guys Im pretty new to the forums so hopefully this is the right place to post :) Im in the market for a 5speed b4 liberty, but dont really have any real experience with them. Though ive done a bit of reading on the internet to get a general idea of the car. Mainly id like to know if there is any thing i should look out for when buying one, like maybe some prone b4 problems, and just things i should steer clear off. Any help would be much appreciated Cheers, Luke

#2 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:40 PM

Ones with a subaru badge....... :P if your not keen on that then be cautious of pingers.

#3 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 08:15 PM

Main thing is service history, if it has not been properly looked after walk away because you could just be buying a money pit..
Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

Big end bearings are the main problem.. even oil changed every 5000km's they still spin bearings. first way to tell is how they start when cold. If you can hear abit of a strange noise within the first 5 seconds on start up and oil pressure takes a while to build up. i would stay away. Another problem is oil leaks from the secondary turbo, look under the intercooler on the driver side for this.
MY02 Liberty B4

#5 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:52 PM

Main thing is service history, if it has not been properly looked after walk away because you could just be buying a money pit..

Amen to that.

If the car looks at all shabby in ANY area....look for another car. Not sure of your previous car owning history but the B4 is a complicated bit of a machinery, there are LOTS of things that can break in the mechanical department if neglected. This is not to say they are fragile cars, because if looked after properly they have been known to go for 200,000km plus relatively happily.

Another big thing would be to ask the owner if they have used 98 RON fuel in it EVERY TIME. If there is any doubt over this or their answer sounds a bit suss, start looking at other cars as well. 98 RON is non-negotiable in these cars, even after a proper re-tune.
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

#6 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 03 April 2010 - 07:56 PM

Big end bearings are the main problem.. even oil changed every 5000km's they still spin bearings. first way to tell is how they start when cold. If you can hear abit of a strange noise within the first 5 seconds on start up and oil pressure takes a while to build up. i would stay away.

Another problem is oil leaks from the secondary turbo, look under the intercooler on the driver side for this.

Good points and very true, although with mine it was the exact opposite, the big ends were perfect even after a piston melted and a gudgeon went bad, its all replaced now. It was due to excessive ping and leaning out on Cylinder 3

#7 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:04 PM

look out for cracked up-pipes aswell (lol) if it has a cracked one it will sound a bit like a tractor under the hood, on TT's, cracked up-pipes make them unpleasant to drive. You get low boosting and changeover takes longer. Also check the BOVs arent leaking, all vaccuum hoses are in good condition and the intake tract isnt broken at the back where the breathers join up. When driving the car, if it shudders on changeover, its time for new sparkplugs or a re-gap. Thats about all the TT jizz i can think of for now.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#8 Dube

Dube

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:30 AM

Thanks guys ill make sure to look out for these, cheers for the help

#9 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 01:39 PM

Just buy a car that looks tidy and looks as if the car has been treated well. They are pretty solid cars. Check for oil leaks, cracks in CV boots and large amount of smoke after warm up. It would also be wise to get a boost check before purchase as well. I have a low kms/tidy one for sale :D but I think im going to keep it.

#10 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 30 May 2010 - 08:37 PM

Try to find one thats been converted to single turbo FTW!

OEM+

#11 B1B2andB4

B1B2andB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 30 May 2010 - 10:53 PM

I purchased mine and it needed a little cleaning up (so perfect score $ wise) perfect mechanical condition but many klms (230,000) it had a good service history, and i have since serviced every 5000klms, including the dreaded 200k service, try to make sure it has had the 100k/200k service will save you a few $. I have only had to replace radiator since it went on me and as i got it cheap have spent money on stereo/wheels cleaning it up. I was a first time suby owner and sort of lucked into the B4, i wasnt really sure what an awesome car i had purchased. I was worried due to many k's but have since been reassured many times over all is good. I enjoy cleaning it up, it looked a little unloved sitting in the auction yard.

I CRAWLED,I WALKED,I SUBY"D

I B4 thee, you go after me.

#12 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:42 PM

I know i'm gonna shit everyone on here by saying it.. Keep the hell away from 00-02 year models.. they will all eventually ping themselves to death. 03 are the only ones that worked well, as the Tune was revised on them..

#13 Chadza

Chadza

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:31 PM

Agree that the 03 tune was the best by a long way, but if the car has been treated properly and it has had a retune before too many hot summers have been put on the engine then an MY01-MY02 should be fine. In saying that, MY03's should be pretty similar price these days as they are 'dating' now the GenIII is 2 generations from current model.
MY02 Blue Pearl B4 Manual - 185KW atw
Ecutek Stage 2, 3" DBE, Walbro FP, Hyperflow CAI
14.2 @ 158kph

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users