• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:12 PM

Hey all, For bout the last month when ever the A\C kicks in I've been gettin a squealing noise at 1st it would only be for 1\2 second but gradually it's gotten worse to up to 4-5 sec now and it's really shitting me :diablo: . I checked both belts and they're tight (9-10mm play as per manual) I watched it doesn't appear to be slipping (they're 13mths\18k old and look fine). The noise seems to be coming from the clutch mechanism on the front of the compressor. Does any one know if\what other models have the same A\C compressor? Thanks.

#2 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:47 PM

just get some silicone spray and give it a light going over with the can, mine was starting to screech after i did a engine bay clean :unsure: after i gave the whole lot a spray with silicone spray it has been nice and quiet. but it still clicks really loud everytime it turns off :S has done that for about 18 months now.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#3 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

Those poly rib belts need to be pretty tight. Is the A/c working OK once it's on? (thinking excess load on compressor) Try giving the belt a bit more.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#4 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 07:39 PM

cheers guys, I did give it a little spray of WD40 which worked for bout 10mins then it came back. I'll try tightening the belt a bit more and giving it a good spray (obviously, I'll keep it off the belt) and see how it goes. The A\C is working fine as far as cooling goes but I have noticed lately it seems to be taking more power. :drinks:

#5 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

cheers guys, I did give it a little spray of WD40

Careful. This could cause the clutch to slip/shudder.

I'll try tightening the belt a bit more and giving it a good spray (obviously, I'll keep it off the belt) and see how it goes.

After you have tightened the belt, you could rub a little drylube stick on it.

The A\C is working fine as far as cooling goes but I have noticed lately it seems to be taking more power.

Might pay to get the pressures checked in case there is a partial blockage.

#6 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:39 PM

I had a similar squeeking problem a few months ago turned out to be the pully on the front of the a/c compressor, sprayed some silicone chain lube around thefront and back of the pully and problem solved, has not squeeked at all since.
Posted Image Posted Image

#7 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

I had a similar squeeking problem a few months ago turned out to be the pully on the front of the a/c compressor, sprayed some silicone chain lube around thefront and back of the pully and problem solved, has not squeeked at all since.

Yep, it was with mine too.

Cheers guys, gave the belt a little tighten (is now as far as I can go without the bolt coming out, still play in the belt- me thinks I need a slightly shorter belt TBH) and gave it a good spray (without going overboard) front and back (previously I'd only really sprayed the front), has fixed it so far :yahoo:

#8 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 03 April 2010 - 11:12 AM

Nice, keep in mind these belts stretch a little over time. if your belt ever squeels always try tensioning it up a bit within reason before anything else.

#9 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

also keep in mind WD40 and silicone spray are completely different, the WD40 isnt really ideal as it dissolves the grease and oil that is in the bearings and what not. the silicone spray sorta goes dry but keeps it lubricated and smooth.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

Read the number on the belt. Would be something like 4PK0950. 4PK refers to the number of ribs and the 0950 is the belt length in mm. They usually vary the lenght by 15mm increments, so go the next size down.

#11 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:49 AM

Pump might be rooted? Clutch in the pulled farked?
TSM

#12 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

I was thinking the same things to begin with but the lube and tighten seems to have done the job, so guess I'll wait and see if it stays quiet.

#13 Ericmcg

Ericmcg

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

I thought it might have been the clutch in it too at first but since i lubed the pully it has not made any squeeks, gotta love a little lube........Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users