13 replies to this topic

#1 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 17 April 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hey guys, I'm in need of some help as usual. I've got this squeak from the front end. Now, it was there when i got the car, then one day I noticed that the sway bar link bushes were shot to all hell so I swapped them for some Nolothane items. The squeaking stopped for ages but has recently came back and didn't bother e.Its gotten really bad in the last week though. Like, over 80% of the bumps on the road and its really loud. About an hour ago I re-greased the shit out of the front link bushes and thought there's no way it could still squeak. Well when I test drove it it was the same. Maybe marginally better but I'm not satisfied by any means. So, should i just rip them out again and go completely OTT or.....? I'm at a loss here so I would REALLY appreciate any help here guys! Cheers, Ash.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:32 PM

What sort of grease did you use? Did you clean up to old stuff?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:41 PM

I used Castrol GRR( B ) rubber grease. I asked the guy at repco if they sold the Nolothane grease but they didnt. I gave them a thorough wipe down, got off the old hard stuff, then ran them under water to clear it all off and wiped again.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#4 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 11:03 PM

Are you just getting a squeeky sound? Any knocking sounds when u go over bumps or round corners? Noise mite be coming from ur steering rack bushes?

#5 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

No knocking sounds its a squeaky, squelchy sound. Steering rack bushes aye. Do i just check them by seeing if theres movement?

#6 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

I get squeaky sounds from my new whiteline bushes. I usually goes away when warm. It is usually because of the hardness of the bushes and dust and dirt in them. Try squirting some water on them. That will quiet them down. If that fails pull them off an regrease them.

Posted Image

#7 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:46 AM

Try moly grease instead of rubber grease. Doesn't dry out as much and is full of graphite.

#8 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 07:34 PM

Robt: Many thanks for that idea. I'll certainly be giving that a go! Is it normal for firmer bushes to squeak then? RX25SE: Moly grease is easily available? I'll give that ago if it continues and Robt's idea doesn't work. Thanks guys!

#9 RX25SE

RX25SE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 10:04 PM

RX25SE: Moly grease is easily available?

Yup. Most good auto parts stores. Bursons, Repco etc.

FYI. Its full name is Molybdenum Disulfide grease.

#10 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:21 AM

Ok cool! Thanks dude! I'll give that a go.

#11 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

I just regreased my front swaybar bushes as they developed a squeak. Ive found approx every 12 months I need to do them and ive tried different grease's.

OEM+

#12 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 04:17 PM

I just regreased my front swaybar bushes as they developed a squeak. Ive found approx every 12 months I need to do them and ive tried different grease's.

And what have you found to work thus far Mark? I've found a quick squirt works but only seems to shut them up for a day or two.

#13 CRUISN

CRUISN

Doin it my way.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,970 posts
  • Interests:Family, Surfing, Cars.

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:09 PM

And what have you found to work thus far Mark? I've found a quick squirt works but only seems to shut them up for a day or two.

Ive got this blue grease given to me by a mate, cant remember what it is though. :unsure:

Just go to Bursons and they'll sort you with some suitable grease. No matter what you put it wont last forever and will need redoing. Jason knows what hes on about, follow his advice with Molybdenum Disulfide grease. ;)

OEM+

#14 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 16 May 2010 - 10:42 PM

Ive got this blue grease given to me by a mate, cant remember what it is though. :unsure:

Just go to Bursons and they'll sort you with some suitable grease. No matter what you put it wont last forever and will need redoing. Jason knows what hes on about, follow his advice with Molybdenum Disulfide grease. ;)

Yeah fair enough. I'll defiantly be grabbing some of that stuff when I get a chance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users