Photo

2013 Subaru Coupe To Be Rear-Drive Only?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 10 May 2010 - 09:56 AM

Posted Image

REPORTS CIRCULATING in the Japanese automotive media say Subaru won’t be gifting its own rebadged version of the upcoming Toyota RWD sports coupe with an all-wheel-drive drivetrain.

Previous rumours had the Subaru-badged two-door utilizing a shortened version of the Liberty’s platform along with the WRX’s AWD drivetrain. However, cost blow-outs have reportedly prompted Subaru to dump its plans for AWD and instead use the same RWD layout as the Toyota.

Posted Image

Not much is known about what engine will power the Subaru coupe (codenamed 216A). With the Toyota expected to use a naturally-aspirated boxer four, the 216A may be positioned as a more upmarket offering and feature the turbocharged, 2.0 litre flat four from the Japanese-market WRX.

The Japanese rumour-mill also says that Subaru’s car will share the majority of its bodywork with the Toyota coupe, with only the bumpers, headlights and sheetmetal forward of the A-pillars being different.

Posted Image

An introduction date for the Subaru Coupe is still unknown, and so far development mules spied testing in Japan (above) have given no clues about the production car’s shape.

However, with the Subaru’s mechanical specs now so perilously close to those of the Toyota, odds are high that the impending Subaru coupe may be restricted to the Japanese market only to prevent cannibalisation of Toyota sales.

With Toyota’s FT-86-based RWD coupe due to go on sale in 2012, don’t expect to see Subaru’s coupe breaking cover anytime soon.

Posted Image

Posted Image

This info and more can be found at: http://www.themotorreport.com.au

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:22 PM

I like this Photoshop:

Posted Image

#3 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi, Doubt it. Why would Subaru make a non AWD car? Cheers, Nik

#4 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:41 PM

Why would Subaru make a non AWD car?

Why would Subaru make an ugly-ass hatchback that a majority of their existing fan-base hate?

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#5 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Subaru need to make a V8TT or V12 Supercar.

#6 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hi, Alex, your reasoning is flawed. Not because your statement is wrong, but the application of the logic is pear shaped. Why would Subaru make something Subaru enthusiasts would enjoy? You've answered; Why have they made something Subaru enthusiasts hate. To use this as a basis for the argument that the stars of pleides will suddenly decide the minority modification and motorsport industry is worth nurturing is absurd. I to all hell hope this is a RWD car, otherwise, I'm buying a Genesis. Cheers, Nik

#7 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 11 May 2010 - 02:24 PM

I cant see why they wouldn't make a rear wheel drive version? in Japanland not all of their line up is AWD :D In RWD this would be cool

#8 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

Hi,

Doubt it. Why would Subaru make a non AWD car?

Cheers,
Nik

110% agree

Hi,

Alex, your reasoning is flawed. Not because your statement is wrong, but the application of the logic is pear shaped.

Why would Subaru make something Subaru enthusiasts would enjoy?

You've answered;

Why have they made something Subaru enthusiasts hate.

To use this as a basis for the argument that the stars of pleides will suddenly decide the minority modification and motorsport industry is worth nurturing is absurd.

I to all hell hope this is a RWD car, otherwise, I'm buying a Genesis.

Cheers,
Nik

120% agree.

nik, is the genesis definately coming to aus?

MY07 GT spec B

#9 robt

robt

Cock Rockin'

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • Interests:Hairstyles

Posted 11 May 2010 - 05:50 PM

I think that making it RWD would cost them more as they have to re-engineer the drivetrain for RWD only, not just remove the front drive shafts. AWD is what they make in bulk so they have spares.

Posted Image

#10 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 06:13 PM

It's not about the difficulty or cost of making it Rwd! It's the morals! It would go against everything that Subaru has said all along, that Symetrical Awd is the only way to go, they would have to change their standards.

#11 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:40 PM

It's not about the difficulty or cost of making it Rwd!
It's the morals! It would go against everything that Subaru has said all along, that Symetrical Awd is the only way to go, they would have to change their standards.

Lol they push the awd in aus but in japan the same is not neccessarily true, it is possible hat theymay use some form of toyota gearbox for this

#12 STi46

STi46

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:21 PM

no no no! :dash2: If that black monstrosity of a thing becomes the new coupe, I will officially revoke my Subaru loyalty. What an ugly piece of shit. I know it's covered up and stuff, but that body shape is hideous, and I can see the filthy Impreza sedan taillights ARRGHHH They need to bring out something like that red photoshop above. Otherwise I will lose faith in Subaru for good. (and I'm sure I'm not alone)

#13 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:45 PM

one of the thing that gets me the most (amongst many other things) is that the lines of the front door don't line up with the rear window. i looks like two different cars welded together, coupe front half and a GH impreza hatchback rear :negative:

signature_1_35.jpg

#14 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:54 PM

Hi, Mule cars should not be taken as a direct guide for the final product. I will throw down here and now that it will look good. Cheers, Nik

#15 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 11:56 PM

Partly agree. I have to say - as much as I hate the new Pretzel, it's slowly *sigh* growing on me. God, even the new Liberty is growing on me.....slowly....

#16 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

Hi, I'm still just confused why I haven't received any rep for this thread. I'm on fire in here. Come on? Also, you're right Alex, things grow on people, but this will rock. This is Subaru's Genesis. If it doesn't rock, I'm buying a RWD refrigerator. Cheers, Nik

#17 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

Refridge rep added.

#18 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:07 AM

yeah i begrudgingly agree with you there alex. i may be slowly coming around as well <_< nik i also agree that its still early days. lets hope they get it together yeah yeah killing nik :sarcastic: you get a rep point from me too lol

signature_1_35.jpg

#19 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:53 PM

What they really needed to do was to bring back the premium luxo coupe ie the SVX. It might be a heavy bastid with the H6 3.6 but i would love to see the SVX back on the road, not some sort of Impreza mish mash, the car is flawed and is a niche that subaru didnt need to fill. What Subaru enthusiast is going to buy a gutless RWD N/A? They should have made the joint effort with Toyota but modified the platform to suit an SVX style replacement. Imagine a hot coupe with an H6 and a 6MT loaded with STI goodness that was chuckable and quicker than a 3.0R Liberty. Either way, the RWD thing goes against Nick Seniors' vision of Subaru Australia.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users