#1 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 02 June 2010 - 07:50 PM

Hi, Of late ive started feeling like the Liberty (98 RX Wagon)is getting a bit dodgy in the handling department.. Symptoms: - Going over bumps can often result in a sound like i have a flat rear tyre but i dont. - If i shake the car holding the roof rails i can hear knocking in the front. And if i bounce on the back i can hear a knocking somewhere from the top of the struts. - Car likes to "steer" itself, hard to explain this one, and it seems totally random. Though some causes ive found can be, Accelerating up Hills sometimes, or long sweeping corners (like the ones generally on highway onramps) Where it will feel like it is going straight for a small amount og time though the wheel is turned. - Going over surfaces that are slighty slippery e.g. when they tar the cracks in the road with that shiny junk. and it gets wet, the car feels like it will sotra slip on them ever so slightly. - Feels more boaty in the back than i thought it was. (cant use that as a symptom though because i might be looking for something wrong) Now i have plans to take this to a place to get looked at when i finally get time, but it is progressively getting more noticable hence im starting to be concerned. I Believe the struts are 02 STI Struts and Springs are King Lows. If the shocks are shagged, is it hard to find replacements? And is there any way to diagnose whats wrong myself? Im a bit tight at the moment with money so giving money to someone to do something i can do just hurts my head. Falling short of that, Where is good to take it? Local mechanic, or suspension place like JAX Or Pedders? Thanks!

Posted Image

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:04 PM

For future-readers reference - can you update the first post with the model Liberty you have please? Have you changed anything recently? Brand of tires, hit any potholes/curbs etc?

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:33 PM

I changed wheels, from 18" to 17" But i have done about 5000k to 10 000k or so since then including trips. And its only surfaced really in the past month gradually. The only thing i can think i've "hit" are some dirt roads, none of them too extreme though one was a bit rougher than was enjoyable. Though the roads around here are generally pretty crappy anyway (rural)

Posted Image

#4 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:35 PM

firstly, don't take it to pedders. you will be ripped blind...

there is a thread on rexnet about regreasing sti struts. they are prone to knocking so you can remove the insert and replace with a certain lithium grease from what i remember... its also on RSLC.

struts can cause a lot of funny feelings in the car... check tyre pressures, get underneath the car check steering bushes. also if bushes all look ok go get a wheel alignment... have you had one since you got the car? seriously should go and get one asap if it hasn't had one since you bought it (especially with the km you do!)

I changed wheels, from 18" to 17" But i have done about 5000k to 10 000k or so since then including trips. And its only surfaced really in the past month gradually.

The only thing i can think i've "hit" are some dirt roads, none of them too extreme though one was a bit rougher than was enjoyable. Though the roads around here are generally pretty crappy anyway (rural)

when you see how little travel is in the sti struts you will blow out. those bumps are probably bottoming out... if you are on shitty roads a fair bit i suggest you change springs. kings are far too rough for rough surfaces.

MY07 GT spec B

#5 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:40 PM

found it: http://www.rexnet.co...=77732&hl=strut

MY07 GT spec B

#6 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

You know what, the whole steering bit reminds me of an issue I had. Wheel bearing had gone (didn't hear any noises) and destroyed the hub. Jack the rear of the car up and see if anything is moving. My rear wheel literally flopped around. This caused the geometry of the car to change while I was driving causing it to start steering odd/on its own

Stuff goes here

#7 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 07:56 AM

found it:

http://www.rexnet.co...=77732&hl=strut

Legend! i think ill do this on the weekend then get an alignment. Ill be keeping the kings for now, they are okay if you see the shit spots in the road and avoid them!

Where would you suggest i get spring compressors from? My mate used ones from supercheap, and it felt like loading a gun and pointing it at my face, Scary stuff!

Have to buy a jack and stands too i think :(

You know what, the whole steering bit reminds me of an issue I had. Wheel bearing had gone (didn't hear any noises) and destroyed the hub. Jack the rear of the car up and see if anything is moving. My rear wheel literally flopped around. This caused the geometry of the car to change while I was driving causing it to start steering odd/on its own

Ill give it a look at aswell. Though i tried them a while back looking for that and couldnt see/feel anything.

Thanks Guys.

Posted Image

#8 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 04:31 PM

once you have the struts out you can have a good look around anyway underneath at the bushes. remember if any are fugged i can get cheap whiteline stuff so let me know!!! in regards to the sloppy rear end remember i can get the whiteline rear bar that will fix it up real good !! very good idea for stands they are only around $40 a pair for 1t+ rated. you might not need spring compressors its that low :D :D go to a good quality auto agency/local parts supplier (not mainstream supercheap/repco etc) if you are really stuck let me know and ill get a price for you.

MY07 GT spec B

#9 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:56 PM

Ha, i still have the trailing arm bushes to put in that you gave to me when i picked up the bits from you! Might make a weekend of it this weekend, Mrs is working :) plenty of time to play! Will report back on findings! Wheel alignment should wait till after i pull the shocks of yep?

Posted Image

#10 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 05:58 PM

Ha, i still have the trailing arm bushes to put in that you gave to me when i picked up the bits from you!

Might make a weekend of it this weekend, Mrs is working :) plenty of time to play!

Will report back on findings!

Wheel alignment should wait till after i pull the shocks of yep?

yea, have a look around for yourself first. if bushes are flogged and you get a wheel alignment once you replace them it will throw the alignment out a bit, not anything big but is worth it.

trailing arm bushes will be a pita. get that car up nice and high to work on it :D

MY07 GT spec B

#11 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:01 PM

trailing arm bushes will be a pita. get that car up nice and high to work on it :D

Thanks for the encouragement :P is that why you never did them?

Posted Image

#12 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:41 PM

Thanks for the encouragement :P is that why you never did them?

i forgot i had them, my dad nearly threw them out when cleaning out the garage after i sold the car haha. lucky i found em ;)

MY07 GT spec B

#13 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:59 AM

Closer inspection, swaybar link on one side ..... disconnected :| bolt nowhere to be seen!!! And tyres down to wear mark... while fronts still have like 30-50% thread!!! DOH! Looks like i was badly in need of an alignment... so after struts are built im taking it there asap. Time to get my hands dirty!

Posted Image

#14 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:19 PM

Closer inspection, swaybar link on one side ..... disconnected :| bolt nowhere to be seen!!!

And tyres down to wear mark... while fronts still have like 30-50% thread!!! DOH!

Looks like i was badly in need of an alignment... so after struts are built im taking it there asap.

Time to get my hands dirty!

you been giving it a hard time!!! have fun mate. glad to see it was something simple

MY07 GT spec B

#15 buzzda

buzzda

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,370 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 12:30 PM

Get into the habit of giving the car a 10 min check over every week or so. :drinks:

#16 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

you been giving it a hard time!!! have fun mate. glad to see it was something simple

I Have, and it has been taking it like a trooper. Rears are done now, Time to do the fronts, and see if i can source that knock!

Get into the habit of giving the car a 10 min check over every week or so.

:drinks:

Hell yeah i will! Lesson Learnt! it will be easier now that i have bought a jack and stands!

Posted Image

#17 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 06:46 PM

Wow, so regreasing those struts was incredibly easy, just hard on the back! Time will tell weather these will improve my prblem, hopefully they will!

Posted Image

#18 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 05 June 2010 - 07:55 PM

Wow, so regreasing those struts was incredibly easy, just hard on the back!

Time will tell weather these will improve my prblem, hopefully they will!

yea its a good quick service, i had planned on doing it but never had any issues with them knocking.. i did get them with fairly low km on them. take the car for a good spin now.

remember to get that wheel alignment before you destroy another set of tyres :D

MY07 GT spec B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users