Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 10 July 2010 - 04:53 PM

G'Day Guys.

Im trying to sell my car, and no one wants to pay advertised price.

Im asking $2800 now and get offers of $1200, $2000 and $2200.

Its actually pretty insulting, Yes there are cosmetic things wrong with it, and it has high K's and needs rego. BUT its not a p.o.s.

So what do you guys think? Am i asking too much?

Carsales - Carsales
eBay - eBay

Posted Image

#2 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

Adam, I think your asking price is OKAY and if I were interested in buying it, I'd negotiate you down to around the $2.5K mark due to the high mileage. To most people, its at the end of its serviceable life but if its been looked after, we know it can go on longer still. I'm sure your car may be in good working order but you really do need to spell it out to people because mileage is your enemy with this car and you need to convince people they've nothing to worry about. Tell them all inspections are welcome (such as mechanical) so they get peace of mind and get a sense that your not trying to hide a lemon. I recommend that IF your negotiable on price, you mention it in the advert itself because not everyone are great negotiators, and for those not experienced with buying cars, they may be scared off by the fact you don't appear negotiable on price. Also draw more attention to the optional fog lights, RX wood grain and velour seats/door inserts because thats gotta count for something.

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#3 legacy rsk

legacy rsk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:41 PM

What does the red book say? Also most people feel their car is worth more than they think. Lucky you not living in japan or it could be lucky you are because there your car would be worth maybe $500 there. My father in-law had to pay Toyota about $200 to take his 1989 toyota chaser as a trade in. It had only done around 60k's

1d3cb771-b699-4175-8507-6d835cbca0d8_zps

#4 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:53 PM

I dont want to sound like the *******... but I have to hear these stories every day. Fact of the matter is if its not selling then its too expensive - lower your price or you will have the car for a long time.

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

I'd say $1000-$1500. There is no other incentive to buy. Paint is shit, tyres are shot, and has lifter noise. I'd consider this a boonger. So it needs to be priced like one. Can't polish a turd dude.... even without even polishing it.

#6 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 11:33 PM

Hi, You are too honest. Cheers, Nik

#7 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 03:19 PM

I have no idea what it is worth, but if it's not selling, the price it too high.

#8 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

I Guess the reason i'm asking is because i personally thing i have priced it fairly, compared to other cars on the market. Maybe the problem is my honesty in the ad. i need to trap them by getting them out to look at it. ;) Thanks for the input guys! If it doesnt sell, ill keep it and make it an off roader :)

Posted Image

#9 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:11 PM

ill keep it and make it an off roader :)

Best idea EVAH :)

Matt black paint. OBK struts and King raised springs.

BFG Mud Terrains.

win.

#10 Exie

Exie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:33 PM

Its actually pretty insulting

It's a common thing, I brought my 2000 OBK for $7k which I think was a fair price, the owner was delighted as he had a long line of people wanting to buy it for $4k-$5k which was ridiculous. None of them actually wanted to keep the car, they were all trying to buy low and sell high to make a dollar. Dont get put off by them, there are thousands out there.

Yes there are cosmetic things wrong with it, and it has high K's and needs rego. BUT its not a p.o.s.

As said, your too honest, dont talk potential customers out of the sale.

I recently had an ebay sale gong for over 6 months, once I took all the technical details out and replaced with "open to inspection" it sold within a week. I'm not saying you should mislead people. But let the buyer determine if the valves or paintwork is a problem for them. I'd give them every opportunity to come and inspect it and make their own judgement. In my case, ufortunately it turned out the buyer brought totally the wrong part and couldnt use it. But he accepted that he was ignorant and "didnt know". You need to find someone like that.

I also believe their is some legal thing with cars below $3k.... where there is not implied warranty or suitability. So you should be covered.

#11 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

sucks mate. keep it as a fun car :D btw saw you in the gong today!

MY07 GT spec B

#12 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

It's a common thing, I brought my 2000 OBK for $7k which I think was a fair price, the owner was delighted as he had a long line of people wanting to buy it for $4k-$5k which was ridiculous. None of them actually wanted to keep the car, they were all trying to buy low and sell high to make a dollar. Dont get put off by them, there are thousands out there.

As said, your too honest, dont talk potential customers out of the sale.

I recently had an ebay sale gong for over 6 months, once I took all the technical details out and replaced with "open to inspection" it sold within a week. I'm not saying you should mislead people. But let the buyer determine if the valves or paintwork is a problem for them. I'd give them every opportunity to come and inspect it and make their own judgement. In my case, ufortunately it turned out the buyer brought totally the wrong part and couldnt use it. But he accepted that he was ignorant and "didnt know". You need to find someone like that.

I also believe their is some legal thing with cars below $3k.... where there is not implied warranty or suitability. So you should be covered.

Thanks for the posative encouragement mate!

Im just going to see how this sale goes.

Alex, Was wondering if you would spot me! We were trawling the shops for snow gear! Cars lookin a bit sad at the moment, the weather hasnt been kind to her, she is filthy!

Posted Image

#13 B1B2andB4

B1B2andB4

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:MUSIC

Posted 12 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

I think an add rewrite would help, you oversell a small thing,eg - mentioned sits well on the road a couple of times, and over talk the faults - rear bumper doesn't line up (excited P plater may not even notice). Put on that maroon tie and blue stripped business shirt be the salesman/... lady, it's good to be honest especially on the forums but you do want every $ cha ching I'm sure they don't point out that white stain on the backseat at your local car yard. I picked up a rough unloved Suby good price, with a few K's which didn't worry me after inspection/drive, the salesman was crap with little information given it was in auction yard so i inspected and decided. Best i think you for to let someone inspect/decide for themselves. Good luck with sale, although it's no STI... it's still not a holden :D some bogan will learn to love a new emblem.

I CRAWLED,I WALKED,I SUBY"D

I B4 thee, you go after me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users