• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Exie

Exie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hi Folks, I've noticed the last week or so, theres a wet patch of carpet on the left side of the drivers foot well. When I first saw it, I got a towel and dried it up, but the next day it came back. I had a poke around to see where it might be coming from, but cant see anything that would leak. Any ideas ? My biggest worry is that it could be some sort of heater piece deep in the dash, but it looks like most of that stuff is on the passenger side. PS. It's a 2000 Outback if that helps.

#2 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:07 AM

Window wound up? lol. Could be the rubbers around the door frame.
TSM

#3 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Hi, If it's not wet on the door side then it could be underneath rather than dripping from the dash. Dripping from the dash area would be my guess though. Did it just start in wet weather? Cheers, Nik

#4 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:35 AM

My Barina used to do this and it was something to do with the airconditioner. All i had to do was drain the rubber pipe by squeezing it open with my fingers and it was all good. Dont know if its the same with the subys though?

IM47Gcv.jpg

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:22 PM

Sounds like your heater core may be on the blink. Any overheating issues? Does the fluid smell sweet and like coolant?

#6 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:53 PM

sounds like your mrs is having too much of a good time to me.

#7 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:10 AM

sounds like your mrs is having too much of a good time to me.

It's a 2000 outback, so it doesn't have a turbo, let alone a Garrett.

#8 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:16 PM

Hi, It sounds like Alex is onto it. Have you had a chance to take a look/sniff, mate? Cheers, Nik

#9 Exie

Exie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:31 PM

Hi Folks, By way of an update, nothing has changed. I dont think it's the door seals, its on the wrong side. sort of way up where the clutch pedel would be, or the foot-rest is. I am worried about a heater core, but as mentioned, I think thats on the passenger side (which is perfectly dry). It doesnt smell like coolant, and the temps seem ok, I also checked the coolant levels, but it doesnt seem to be going down. Underneath is a good point... maybe something has popped a hole in the floor <shrug> ... its been wet as, so maybe it's just puddles... but I would have thought unlikely. I'll peel the carpet back and have a look. Thanks for the thoughts.

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:03 PM

When you first switch over to demist with the engine warm, does it fog up the windscreen for a moment before the hot air clears it?

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#11 Exie

Exie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 12:17 AM

When you first switch over to demist with the engine warm, does it fog up the windscreen for a moment before the hot air clears it?

Yep, the de-misting has been really bad lately. It's been freaking cold here in Melb. So it may just be that, but i dont understand how it ended up wet in just that spot ?!

I tried leaving some of the moisture-absorbing crap in the car over night, but it didnt seem to pick anything up.

#12 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:33 AM

Hi, The one thing about water is, no matter what it will always find the lowest place to sit. Cheers, Nik

#13 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

Sometime the heater core sweats rather than leaks. This means the water trapped on the heater core evaporates when the unit heats up. This steam then gets sent to the cold glass and causes it to fog up. Sounds very much like a heater core. May be worth trying to look up into the heater box unit and if you can see the core, you may find some crusty residue or dried coolant.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users