5 replies to this topic

#1 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

Since buying my Gen4 wagon the sunroof rattle is driving me bloody bonkers !! When the blind is closed it squeaks it's arse off whenever there is a slightly rough bit of road, and in many positions of open it does it as well, the answer is to stuff a piece of maccas serviette between the blind and the roof lining beneath it and it sort of shuts up. Then the sunroof itself rattles it's arse of in any position but fully open, or fully closed. It is a metallic rattle though, and is bloody annoying. Any suggestions on how I can shut this sunroofs trap would be significantly appreciated before I sell the bloody car !! Regards Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#2 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Paul, If it makes you feel better, our GenIII is the same. And yes, it drives me bloody mad too. If its rattling open or closed, I would suggest a loose bracket or someting similar. I would think that when closed there would be some sort of load on the unit that would prevent it from rattling. Might have to remove the headlining. *fun*

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#3 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:38 PM

Yes well the dealer basically said that it must be worn out and that's why it's rattling, mind you this is with 96,000 km's on it, it should last longer than that for crying out loud ! I must say this gen4 certainly does not instil faith in me that it will last the distance like my gen2 did, it's got so many rattles at different times, the front end feels like a pile of poo, it skips around corners when they have uneven surfaces, the door doesn't close true, the throttle is shitful, it hesitates like a bitch when accelerating from a stop, the idle hunts sometimes, the throttle has stuck on WOT twice now, faaaaaaaaark Paul Maybe I need to find the money somewhere and trade it in on an STi..... Paul

#4 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:49 PM

Its most probably the guide-rails. Common problem, and not just with Subaru's, I've found. Unless the sunroof has been regularly lubed up (every 1-2yrs) throughout its life, they'll rattle and theres little you can do to stop it without spending insane amounts of money on it. Call City Sunroof centre in Milperra. They do everything sunroof related and might have a solution for this annoying rattle. I'm not sure but they may even stock the same brand sunroof Subaru use...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#5 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:08 PM

Thanks Shiv, I might give them a buzz and ask the question. Regards Paul

#6 hawks_123

hawks_123

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:29 PM

Yes well the dealer basically said that it must be worn out and that's why it's rattling, mind you this is with 96,000 km's on it, it should last longer than that for crying out loud !

I must say this gen4 certainly does not instil faith in me that it will last the distance like my gen2 did, it's got so many rattles at different times, the front end feels like a pile of poo, it skips around corners when they have uneven surfaces, the door doesn't close true,

Do you know the history of this car. Sounds a bit like it could have the front or back end
of another gen 4, or it's been poorly repaired after a big smash?
If it's broke use a cable tie.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users