I need a new muffler..

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hey guys, I'm after a new muffler, it will be for a EJ25 with a 2 1/4 catback, press bent CBE. I wasn't a huge fan of the note coming out of my car, it has a raspy 'pulsar like' sound above 3000rpm.

So just wondering if anyone has a suggestion for an NA car, that has a nice note and could possibly be used on a turbo if a conversion occurs?

Cheers, Jesse

#2 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 12:04 AM

forget re-using the NA exhaust for a Turbo conversion.

For Turbo, you need at least 2 1/2" mandrel bent.

Can't help any more than that.... sorry.

#3 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 07:57 AM

Sorry mate, I just meant being able to re use the muffler?
Thanks for your help :)

Jesse

#4 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:14 AM

Doesn't matter for a while as the guy sold it on me, even though I was going to pick it up tomorrow... Do people just have no common decency anymore.

#5 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:52 AM

I had a hitech muffler on pre-conversion and it sounded quite nice. Was pretty quiet though if you're looking for noise.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#6 Morgan

Morgan

...jus waitin' 4 a m8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,485 posts
  • Interests:Taking a poo

Posted 24 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

Doesn't matter for a while as the guy sold it on me, even though I was going to pick it up tomorrow... Do people just have no common decency anymore.

No they dont. I had the same thing happen to me when I was looking at Outbacks.
Actually, it happened three times. I was pissed.
Ultimately, they are trying to sell a car and dont give a mother about us.

IM47Gcv.jpg

#7 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:22 PM

Cheers guys, I've heard a bit about Hi-Tech, how quiet are they? I want a nice growl but I don't want the cops to hear me from 2 blocks away. Any opinions on Magnaflow?

#8 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:48 PM

Depends on the rest of the system I guess, but mine definitely had a nice growl, but certainly not what you'd call loud.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

#9 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for that mate. I'll look into it, I have a while to check different ones out now.

#10 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:17 PM

Maybe have a resonater/hotdog thing installed as well. I had 2 installed on my old 2 1/4 system as it was an auto and it wasn't raspy at all. Had a nice deep burble at idle and under throttle and was nice and quiet at cruising speeds. Muffler was just a generic glass packed, straight throug oval.
I also continued using this system for quite sometime after the conversion and it worked quite well.

#11 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:41 PM

I'll look into that mate, it sounds like there is a leak in the muffler, but I know there isn't.
The car I'm looking at now already has an exhaust on it so have to see what its like.

Cheers for the help

#12 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:41 AM

The benefit of going a hi-tech muffler is that when you buy them brand new, they actually custom make them for you in-house to suit your requirements.

So going a second-hand unit will be genuinely a mixed-lollybag affair, unless the unit you're buying is certainly an "off-the-shelf" generic item.

Naturally, they charge for such a privilege for brand new...

#13 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:59 AM

Thanks for the response Alex. I don't believe a Hi Tech is really required for an NA then, especially if it's custom made for the NA and therefore most likely unusable for a conversion?

I'll have a look around for some generic ones made by well known and quality brands and see what I come up with.

Cheers Jesse

#14 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:18 AM

Alex really is right in saying that an NA exhaust isn't going to be great for turbo. If you get it made big enough for post-conversion then it's going to be too big for the NA and drone like a bitch. If you get it made small enough for the NA it's going to strangle the turbo. If you're already planning a conversion why not just wait and get the exhaust once it's done?

#15 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:14 PM

I knew the exhaust wouldn't be great for post conversion, I just thought a muffler might be able to used for both. I'm not planning a conversion anytime soon, just thinking ahead a bit I guess.

#16 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:16 PM

The Hitech systems sound really good. i had a cat back with uel headers when i had the ej25 and the sound was nice and deep but not to loud. All their systems are designed to be road legal DB

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#17 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 05:53 PM

Get a GD series STI impreza muffler :)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#18 Guest_JB_Sube09_*

Guest_JB_Sube09_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:19 PM

I'll keep that in mind cheers mate, I'll see how I go with this new car though and proceed from there depending if I get it or not.

#19 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 09:50 AM

I've used an edlebrock muffler.
http://cgi.ebay.com....=item563b541cfa

Doesn't look great but you can't really see it. Best mufflers I've come across. Quiet at idle and loud when you get up it. Cost me another $50-60 for a decent tip.

(yes it is on a suby)
TSM

#20 B4Cruiser

B4Cruiser

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

Cheers guys, I've heard a bit about Hi-Tech, how quiet are they? I want a nice growl but I don't want the cops to hear me from 2 blocks away. Any opinions on Magnaflow?

I've got a magnaflow and it gives a nice deep boxer rumble; altho mine is turbo so not sure if it affects sound? If you don't want it too loud, just put a resonator on there. Mines quiet at the lights and growls when u give it throttle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users