29 replies to this topic

#1 Tom

Tom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:08 PM

Got me a Canon 550D a couple of weeks ago, and have only just had a chance to do a photo shoot with it :)

Need to start learning the proper settings and get off of the "Auto Mode" thing hehe.. but that'll come in due time :)

Gallery (40 shots):
http://www.omgtom.ne...hoot/index.html

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:44 PM

Hey mate,

That's some good shots there. Pretty cool location too!

- Alex.

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 Tom

Tom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:52 PM

Thanks dude :) just 3 spots I've reused a few times with past cars hehe

#4 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

nice pics mate! car looks great

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#5 Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 11:27 PM

These are some excellent pics mate! Love the one with the ladybird!

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:59 AM

Welcome.

Nice car. Would be nice to see this car used to its potential!

Not a fan of the wheels, or the arty farty autosalon'esque shots.

Alex

#7 Tom

Tom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:34 AM

Thanks guys :)

Alex: Each to their own I suppose, and yeah I wouldn't mind new wheels (They came with the car), but I'm not looking to put money in to buying new ones right now! Espec since I want something along the lines of WedsSport, Work, etc. They cost a bucket load, look awesome, but there is more in my life I'd rather put money to since I'm happy with the car as it is.

And the photos are my style, what styles of car photos do you prefer? Maybe I can try other styles to suit more people :) just looking for examples of the constructive criticism that's all!

And what do you mean by "used to it's potential"..? Track days, twisties, power..?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not upset or trying to argue with you.. I do appreciate comments and do appreciate constructive criticism. I do understand that not everything appeals to everyone ;)

#8 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:43 AM

Love the photos and the setting. So do you do this sort of stuff professionally or just as a hobby? I'm a keen photographer myself, just an amateur at the moment and learning how to use the cameras settings to get that better shot.

I'd prefer some Subaru rims on that, but aftermarket they do look okay. You do find some offensively bad rims on WRX's so yours fair quite well if I'm honest :D

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#9 Tom

Tom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:47 AM

I do it as a hobby :) I haven't ever made any money out of photoshoots! I take pics of friends cars, and always like photoing my own! I only just picked up a decent camera, so all the other photoshoots on that site I linked to are using a little Kodak point and shoot! haha..

I have no idea how to use the proper settings, so definitely want to and need to learn those!

Standard Subaru wheels on it? Well, I dunno.. Maybe those newer STI model ones maybe in gunmetal (like on the MY06), but for my car I prefer an 'after market' look over the standard look! I'm not saying the standard looks crap, just for my car this is what I like :) Plus, I sold my standard wheels to Scott ;)

#10 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

Nice STi! Not really a fan of the peanut shape, but yours looks good indeed.

And the photos are my style, what styles of car photos do you prefer? Maybe I can try other styles to suit more people :) just looking for examples of the constructive criticism that's all!

Some shots that are just straight are good, instead of all of them being at a 30* angle...

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#11 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:56 AM

Looks good mate. Would love to have you along to do some photos at the next Subyclub event in Sydney!

#12 Tom

Tom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 02:48 PM

Nice STi! Not really a fan of the peanut shape, but yours looks good indeed.

Some shots that are just straight are good, instead of all of them being at a 30* angle...

Thanks mate
Yeah, I get straight shots but I like to also mix it up with angles and chopped off shots of 'details' or 'areas'. So instead of just taking the same angle straight on shots every single time of every single car, I like different elements

Looks good mate. Would love to have you along to do some photos at the next Subyclub event in Sydney!

I'd be happy to take shots at meets :)

#13 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 04:53 PM

nice shots tommy
shame about the car tho :o

we need to hit up the skidpan when i get my new car

#14 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 05:45 PM

Thanks guys :)

Alex: Each to their own I suppose, and yeah I wouldn't mind new wheels (They came with the car), but I'm not looking to put money in to buying new ones right now! Espec since I want something along the lines of WedsSport, Work, etc. They cost a bucket load, look awesome, but there is more in my life I'd rather put money to since I'm happy with the car as it is.

And what do you mean by "used to it's potential"..? Track days, twisties, power..?

And don't get me wrong, I'm not upset or trying to argue with you.. I do appreciate comments and do appreciate constructive criticism. I do understand that not everything appeals to everyone ;)

I like photos where the horizon is.... horizontal.

Wheels you'll find are lesser in quality and construction from the OEM Enkei wheels. When the tyres run out, I'd encourage you to at least source the stock wheels again. The tricky thing here is that you have brembos, and you'll limited in OEM wheel choices. WEDS + etc is personal preference I guess, and they're pricey. Having a car with such well tuned components from the factory, the current wheels are a step backwards in terms of disturbing the fine balance these cars have. Unsprung wheel weight (usually from inferior tempe-like wheels bro) may look good and "different" (in some people's eyes), but you're making your car effectively drive, handle and brake worse (research more about unsprung wheel weight). And I'd suspect also that the tyres aren't of factory specs, and you'd most be likely running not only an incorrect size, but loading, and inferior quality... and I hope I don't need to speak about how cheaper tyres affect a car...

To look at a car's potential, you need to consider the car's intended purpose. The impreza STi I would consider an "all rounder". You have sharp acceleration, great handling and great stopping. To keep everything complementing each other properly, it is important not to disturb this balance, by exaggerating any particular field.. I would consider the STi a competent track car, and the fact that you have a six speed gearbox, that it would be fun on the quarter mile also. To me, that would constitute a good street car. Lapping McDonalds car parks, with an atmo blow of valve is not my idea of using it to its potential...

#15 Tom

Tom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 06:56 PM

That is all true, but as you would know the choice that a person makes when picking a car will also, majorly come down to personal preference. This car ticked pretty much all the boxes I've wanted in a car, plus has been something I've wanted to buy for a very long time.

And right now I feel as though I have to go and justify my reason for owning this car in its current state?

You may call blasphemy when I say that I'm fine not using the car to it's max performance every chance I get, it's a car for me to get around when I need to, and it's a car for me to have fun with when I want to, so by changing things from standard to after market (or however you wish to put it) I'm fine with doing. Some bits may increase the performance from factory, and some bits (like you mentioned, the wheels) may hinder that. So be it!

I don't want the standard wheels on the car, it doesn't bother me what anybody thinks about that decision, it's my car, so I was happy to sell off the stock wheels to Scott without losing sleep worrying about how I'd go about sourcing new ones. The wheels on the car wouldn't have been my first choice in wheels, obviously they stood out to the previous owner, but I'm happy enough with them to not run around trying to find replacements. If they were dinner plate style chromed wheels, then hell yeah I'd make a drastic effort in order to source the wheels. Sure these ones probably hinder the performance in one way or another, but I don't hit the track, strip or twisties every day, and I don't drag every man and their dog at the lights. It's a daily driver, fun when I want to have fun, refined and controlled when I'm not, and to me it looks the goods. When I do decide to do those things, then yeah okay I'll look in to getting the stock wheels for the track for best performance.

And for the record, I don't do the McDonalds, George St, Darlinghurst Rd, or fully sick Livo cruises. Bro.

At the end of the day, if I wanted a bog standard STI WRX with the original wheels, original everything to keep it in it's "factory intended" purpose and use, I would have bought one in that state. That may be your choice and opinion with cars, but that's where we differ, and that's what keeps the car scene and car community interesting ;) What you do with your car is completely up to you, what I do with mine is up to me, if either one of us don't like each others choice in things, then who cares? I don't and I'm sure you wouldn't either haha :) If we are happy with our cars, that's all that really matters right?

#16 Start

Start

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:21 PM

=] Nice shots, the car looks soo clean (de-stickered), can tell the old guy took really good care of it...

The rims are pretty tastefull too, I remember you had similar ones on your Gen 4 Lib and they looked great on that too - havent seen another WRX/Lib with them..

Can't wait till my car is running, we shall be having a meet/photo session for sure!..

Posted Image

#17 Tom

Tom

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 07:38 PM

Thanks dude!

You, me, Scott and Joe! Epic Subi photoshoot ftw ;)

And Scott.. Yeah, shame about your face as well ;) haha.. Skidpan for sure, looks so fun!

#18 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:11 PM

Saw the pics of yours and John's car....looks hot! Makes me want a Gen2 again!

#19 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:22 PM

Saw the pics of yours and John's car....looks hot! Makes me want a Gen2 again!

:sarcastic:

you about this weekend shiv?

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#20 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:29 PM

:sarcastic:

you about this weekend shiv?

Yeah man, Sunday all day by the looks of it. Call me ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users