8 replies to this topic

#1 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 08:06 PM

FML, i need to remove Blower Fan on Gen 2....

This morning it was fine.. then i go for a drive 2 hrs later, start car, reverse out and i hear some clicking like a leaf or small stick.. so i speed the fan up... BANG! clunk, cloud of dust and no fan...

Removed it best i could but some other dash parts are in the way, anyway, fan felt fine, couldn't find leaf... but did find mysterious piece of adhesive foam not sure where it came from but for a few mins it was fine then WHAM its back to sounding like something is stuck in it...

strange thing, swapping between different modes changes the tone and sometimes stops it for a few seconds... like maybe one of the flaps that control airflow has dislodged?

anyone had this before?

anyone know how to remove blower fan assy without ripping out whole dash?
I need to do this while still being able to drive my car to work each day.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#2 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 10:02 PM

ok firstly i hate those farking plastic push clips with the Philips head on the inner part..

once they are stripped you are screwed if you think you can ever get them out again.

got the glove box out and had a much better look at all the parts... no way in hell would you get that blower motor out without removing a substantial part of the dash support...

anyway, took it out and had a bit of a play again...ran through all the settings while holding it in place with one hand and now it is ok.. but when it kicks between modes it seems to be a lot louder?
like the sound of the flaps moving is a lot more noticeable, i think that might be where the piece of foam was from.. it now sounds like plastic contacting with plastic rather than a slightly padded sound.

lets see how it goes though... i swore to myself the only time i would remove my dash would be for a conversion...so it will be a long hot summer if this starts playing up again :P

#3 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 01:05 AM

this so weird i started havin the same problem as of yesterday myself, start my car cranked up the aircon n all i hear is flap flap flap as if something is stuck... I havent gotten around 2 checking mine though

#4 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:03 PM

Electric motor sharted?
TSM

#5 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:15 PM

Electric motor sharted?

nah, this was more like something was stuck in the blades.

i think there was a piece of foam that fell in and then it was unbalancing the fan, it's been fine since the other night.

time will tell, not sure how the Gen3 is though... i think its easier to get to as you have a cabin filter that is servicable.

#6 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 01:13 PM

nah, this was more like something was stuck in the blades.

i think there was a piece of foam that fell in and then it was unbalancing the fan, it's been fine since the other night.

time will tell, not sure how the Gen3 is though... i think its easier to get to as you have a cabin filter that is servicable.

Mine just magically fixed itself... no more flapping sound. :ph34r:

As for the cabin filter, for all the Gen3 guys, you need to remove the glovebox+surround, to get to it... Only know this coz I had replace mine last service $68 later which u can only get from Subaru!:negative:

#7 cracka

cracka

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:F1, MOTO GP.

Posted 17 November 2010 - 02:46 PM

Funily enough the only problem i've come across so far in my 03 outback is the aircon cabin fan
which is noisey as hell. Doesen't sound like a stick or anything is stuck in it , it's just bloody loud and the
cooling isn't as good as my b4 was either.
Where is this bloody motor located ?
Nothing left to break .

#8 SAV84C

SAV84C

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 17 November 2010 - 03:10 PM

Funily enough the only problem i've come across so far in my 03 outback is the aircon cabin fan
which is noisey as hell. Doesen't sound like a stick or anything is stuck in it , it's just bloody loud and the
cooling isn't as good as my b4 was either.
Where is this bloody motor located ?

Its behind the glovebox... See attachments

#9 cracka

cracka

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Interests:F1, MOTO GP.

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:27 PM

Thanx i'll look into that when i get a chance
cheers cris