20 replies to this topic

#1 Start

Start

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:13 PM

Hi Guys,

I am looking to get the car engineered, but its a hell of a process.

1, need an emissions test.
2, need a weight ticket for new car weight.
3, need a brake test.
4, engineer inspection and certificate. $$$

My car is currently rego'd till Feb,

my question to you guys, do you have anyone you would recommend?

secondly, do you guys have your car engineered?

Cheers!

#2 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:22 PM

pm sent :walts:

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#3 Damien

Damien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:25 PM

ive got my rims and coilovers engineered for vertical ride height, where abouts are you from?

#4 Start

Start

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:44 PM

ive got my rims and coilovers engineered for vertical ride height, where abouts are you from?

Im in sydney, but really would travel anywhere to avoid hassel.

There was a bloke in tuggerah that was going to do it all for $450 but he's retiring at end of the year and can't fit me in.

few of the engineer's wont even look at the car as it has HID's etc.. I only want Engine, Gearbox & Brakes to be engineered. (yes ready to get flamed)

Thanks man

#5 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

Deadset you have to do all that. I just took my car to a local workshop and organised for a mobile engineer to meet me there so he could use their hoist. Cost me like $150 to certify engine & gearbox, then drove it straight to QLD transport to show them the paperwork.
Easy as.

#6 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 05:43 PM

Deadset you have to do all that. I just took my car to a local workshop and organised for a mobile engineer to meet me there so he could use their hoist. Cost me like $150 to certify engine & gearbox, then drove it straight to QLD transport to show them the paperwork.
Easy as.

That's because you live in Queensland. I reckon you could engineer a three legged horse teck screwed to the wrong half of a Hyundai Excel, and still get it engineered for a slab of fourex gold, and a barramundi.

#7 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:52 AM

Why must you engineer something that bolts right in??

In Victoria that's user certifiable if you don't change any major structure.
TSM

#8 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 10:22 AM

Why must you engineer something that bolts right in??

In Victoria that's user certifiable if you don't change any major structure.

any extra power/weight needs to be matched with appropriate brakes.

and emissions test is self explanatory.

MY07 GT spec B

#9 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:25 PM

Why have you got to emission's test something that is factory with factory management?

I can take a 250hp 5ltr engine and put it in a 140hp V6 equipped car and rego it without an engineers certificate. Because the car was released from the factory with that setup so is therefore already "Engineered". Same difference with a Subaru.

Brakes I can understand, but that should be done by the mechanic when he tests the brakes for roadworthy anyway.
TSM

#10 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:49 PM

I'd like to see what Gen2 Subaru came with a turbo motor in Australia, soop.

#11 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:50 PM

slab of fourex gold, and a barramundi.

Haha. Love the stereotype :)

#12 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

I guess that's a point, but I don't understand why that should really matter. Because by the same logic if you bolt a turbo onto an EJ22 then it doesn't need to be engineered.
Doesn't make much sense, Though the govt doesn't need to make sense I guess.
TSM

#13 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

Why have you got to emission's test something that is factory with factory management?

I can take a 250hp 5ltr engine and put it in a 140hp V6 equipped car and rego it without an engineers certificate. Because the car was released from the factory with that setup so is therefore already "Engineered". Same difference with a Subaru.

Exactly but still need someone 'official' to say that's what you did. Hence the mod plate

#14 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:53 PM

Haha. Love the stereotype :)

You get the idea though... It's much more relaxed than NSW. In fact, I'm pretty much convinced that NSW is the most difficult state to modify a car in, in terms of legislation and compliance!

#15 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:55 PM

That's retarded (the state, not you). In VIC they just take your word for it (for now). Provided you haven't modified mounts and such.
TSM

#16 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 05:57 PM

I can understand the strictness though. I reckon there would be plenty of rednecks out there thy would attempt to zip tie a v8 into the engine bay of their lancer if no one was policing it.

#17 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:00 PM

I can understand the strictness though. I reckon there would be plenty of rednecks out there thy would attempt to zip tie a v8 into the engine bay of their lancer if no one was policing it.

Sounds like the mentality of our resident troll!

But indeed. You only need to have a look at the modified car scene here in Sydney, let alone the rest of NSW, to gather the fact that its a huge thing here, and in many instances, has spiralled out of control...

Its almost commonplace now, to see sub ten second cars out on the street.... Street registered!

With pollies the way they are, and hooning and accidents at the numbers they are at, its a way of tightening the noose on it all, by restricting modifications allowable, and having frequent blitzes to enforce such laws.

#18 Damien

Damien

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:07 PM

pm sent

#19 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 09:17 PM

Err, you can't just bolt a turbo on a NA 2.2 and it be legal Soop, I think the problem is, and I saw plenty of examples of this in the WRX club, was that people spend all their money on go fast bits for their cars without any, or maybe much thought about how the car will handle or stop, take FULLSIKBRO cut springs, might look good but bloody dangerous, with little or no travel that simple mod can easily cause the car to lose control in the right situations due to lack of road holding ability due to limited suspension travel, so you lose traction and bam, into the wall or another car.

Brakes are a good one, just because your rego check shows the brakes stop the car mean nothing, when you have been belting around on some winding roads for a while giving your brakes a bit of curry and then come around a corner doing 80 clicks and there is something on the road they probably won't have the bite needed to stop you in time as they are too hot and fade sooner than they should.

Sure most would argue that they will always be able to control their car, they will just put it into a Scandinavian flick and she'll be right, problem is without lots of driver training the chances of being able to handle the situation in an emergency are next to zero for the average driver.

Somebody commented about Alex's brakes in another thread, I would certainly rather be in that car in an emergency than a standard Subaru, with the extra power comes the responsibility of stopping a car, Alex has taken this on board as have many others and installed significant brake upgrades to ensure safety is not compromised, stopping and handling are critical, not important, and should always be considered at the same time as increased performance, if you can't do all of them you shouldn't do any.

All these things are why cars are "Engineered" and not just put together, all things have to work together, and they have to work perfectly in an emergency, something that many of us will never experience thankfully, this is something you can never test for until it happens, which is why planning it, and having modifications approved is so critical, because most of us are not engineers, nor do we know about it sufficiently to make those decisions that matter.

Also, I believe that the RTA website has a list of accredited engineers for NSW if you look around in the section about modifying vehicles, that might be a good place to start if you can't find anybody who is recommended.

Regards
Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

#20 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 28 November 2010 - 12:15 PM