aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 21 December 2010 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image

TOKYO - FUJI Heavy Industries, Japan's smallest carmaker, said on Tuesday it was in talks with China's privately held Chery Automobile Co to build Subaru cars in the world's biggest car market.

The two companies are in the final stages of talks to spend about 30 billion yen (S$473 million) to construct a factory in the northern city of Dalian, initially building 50,000 mid-sized vehicles a year from 2013 and eventually raising that to 150,000, the Nikkei business daily reported earlier.

A Fuji Heavy spokesman confirmed that it was in talks with Chery, but added that it was also in discussions with several other Chinese carmakers over local production of its Subaru cars.

No one at Chery could immediately be reached for comment.

Fuji Heavy is among the last automakers in the world to enter China with local production. Its car sales in China have grown rapidly but are limited to around 57,000 this year in the 17-million-unit market partly due to steep import tariffs.

Fuji Heavy CEO Ikuo Mori told Reuters this month he wanted to reach a decision on how to produce cars in China by the end of the financial year in March, moving back a previous target of the end of 2010. Fuji Heavy has said a joint venture factory and technical licensing to a local automaker were both possibilities, although Mr Mori said he preferred a joint venture arrangement. -- REUTERS

This info and more can be found at: http://www.straitstimes.com

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:15 AM

Oh how I hope these cars will never leave china if they are produced there.

#3 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:55 AM

the new WRX??

Posted Image

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#4 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:59 AM

TOKYO - FUJI Heavy Industries, Japan's smallest carmaker,

That's amazing.

You learn something new everyday.

#5 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:27 AM

That's amazing.

You learn something new everyday.

I guess it does make sense though. Especially when you have half the world and their blind brand allegiance to Toyota.

#6 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:28 AM

the new WRX??

Posted Image

Lol check out the Pontiac GTO styled nostrils.

#7 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:51 AM

Hi,

Normally I would take you up on the Toyota quip, Josh. But I'm tired and about to start brewing.

But, it does say it's FOR China, not produced in China FOR the ROW. So we probably will not see a Chinese built Subaru on our shores in the foreseeable future.

Fuji Heavy is among the last automakers in the world to enter China with local production. Its car sales in China have grown rapidly but are limited to around 57,000 this year in the 17-million-unit market partly due to steep import tariffs.

Cheers,
Nik

#8 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:53 AM

haha nice one Nik, but you have to agree there are a LOT of people out there who blindly buy Toyotas because that is what they have always done.. very common knowledge in the automotive community that this is the case - I am talking about the new stuff... Corolla's, Yaris, Camry etc.. The standard white goods.

#9 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:57 AM

Hi,

Understand that, but brand loyalty is strongest with Subaru in the Japanese international market. Toyota, and to some extent Mitsubishi, have aligned themselves to be the fleet cars of the world. Also, when you start thinking about the cars Toyota makes, their range is just massive. Massive. The only people today that really can't find SOMETHING in their entire range that would suit needs for practicality would be very, very few.

Heck, if Toyota was the ONLY choice, I wouldn't hate myself for having a TRD Aurion in the driveway (non-new cars not included)

Cheers,
Nik

#10 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:03 AM

Yeah TRD was kind of cool while they were around as short lived as it was - still FWD FTL.

But I am not entirely sure that Subaru actually does have the strongest brand allegiance as they lead us to beleive - not to say that they don't have a very strong one as we know they do.

We have dealers in and out of this office all the time and they often laugh at how so many people will come in and just want something Toyota - they don't care what just as long as it's a Toyota as that is what they have always had and what their relatives have and have always had because they are "the best", thing is a lot of them will refuse to buy anything that is not a Toyota, it's uncanny and happens far more often with Toyotas then any other make by a long shot.

Funny thing is I actually have someone who works along side me (cops a lot for this) who is in this category.. entire extended family all drive Toyotas including himself and his parents have told him that he must buy a Toyota.. not kidding!

#11 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:13 AM

Hi,

OK. Fair call. Toyota on that would definitely be #1 for loyalty. I was probably thinking more along the lines of someone that you FINALLY pry their fingers off of those atrocious Toyota key fobs, and get them to test drive a Subaru. They would go home with the stars.

Toyota will always have the largest brand loyalty though, it's just simple numbers. They are the biggest manufacturer in the world, they simply just have to exist at that size to have the numbers weighted in their favour for this sort of thing to occur.

If you actually scaled it though, to include their share of the market as a factor, I honestly cannot see them being very far above anyone else, probably would have to be below some of the small production luxury/sports car manufacturers.

Cheers,
Nik

#12 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:18 AM

I think anyone with half a brain who test drove a Toyota alongside the Subaru would take home the Subaru.. I am slightly biased though :P

I probably should clarify - Subaru's loyalty is based on people buying a good product, Toyota's is the BLIND brand allegiance because they know no better.

#13 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:28 AM

Hi,

Funny thing is, with all these 'global market' cars out now (Cruze is one, I know you're all sick of hearing about it!) unless Subaru does look into component production and even more than that in China they are going to be left so far behind, the ground to make up will be impossible.

Also, to just actually put some real numbers into this.

You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board.

22/05/2010
The December 2009 Roy Morgan Automotive Currency report found that, among the major companies, Subaru currently has the highest level of Brand Loyalty (63.1%), ahead of Toyota (58.9%), Mazda (57.5%) and Volkswagen (56.5%).

In the important new car buyer market (people intending to buy a new car in the next four years) Brand Loyalty is defined as the proportion of people who intend to buy the same brand as they currently drive.

Although declining since late 2008, Toyota still has the strongest Brand Loyalty among the local manufacturers; well ahead of Holden and Ford.

Of the mid volume importers, Subaru has the strongest Brand Loyalty, closely followed by Mazda, Volkswagen and Honda.

This is the most recent, and largest pool I could find. But it's there! Go Subie!

Cheers,
Nik

#14 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:42 AM

Can't really argue with hard facts now can I! (Well I could but it would make no sense :P)

And coming back to your previous point I guess as a percentage of owners Subaru wins out, in sheer numbers Toyota wins.

#15 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

Hi,

All of these sort of reports are pretty easy to argue with, there are so many factors/variables in peoples decision on buying cars/houses/milk that it's often not worth even reading the reports.

One thing I thought you might like to see though;

Below: The media considered ‘most useful’ when researching the purchase of a new car
Posted Image

Looks like CS is working!

If you would like to buy the whole report, it's only about $19K - so be thankful I found anything I guess!

Cheers,
Nik

#16 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 09:50 AM

We get a million reports like that each week :P also get breakdowns by neilson online and what not of web-traffic to which sites etc. CS has the largest market share by a long long way..

#17 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:02 AM

f

#18 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

So.. Chinese made Subaru ay?..

hmm.. that customer retention rate will be dropping quicker than Nik's pants at the mardi gras.

I can just picture it now, a Subaru Liberty GT - rrp $15,990 with 1 year warranty, 8000km's.

#19 skillionaire

skillionaire

Mr. Freshley

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:27 AM

Hi,

Like I said Brendan, the cars made in China, are sold in China. You won't see one here.

Cheers,
Nik

#20 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 10:30 AM

Yeah I am hoping they stick to that logic... not like german manufacturers who make their cars in every other country except germany! LOL..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users