allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 23 December 2010 - 11:09 AM

Hey all,
Been a while since I've posted up on here, I normally just hang out on ozlib. Should really visit here as well, but hey.

For those who haven't seen my thread over there, heres my latest adjustment to the rather large money pit that is my B4...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Complete conversion to a 2004 (Version 8) STi Spec C engine. Done by our friends over at AM Auto (absolute champions!)

And the results...
Posted Image
Posted Image

Comparison to the old tune (EJ20R, ported VF32/33 turbos and 3" cat back)
Posted Image

One of these days I'll get around to making a project thread showing how the old girl has got to the point she's at now, but I'm lacking the time to do something like that...

Anyways - Enjoy!
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#2 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 12:57 PM

Ozliberty is teh fail.

Congrats on the positive results.

Why didn't you get AMAuto to do a FMIC whilst you were up there? IMHO they're one of the best in the industry when it comes to FMICs.

And your old engine wouldn't have been an EJ20R. More like an EJ208.

#3 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:33 PM

the old engine would have been more like an Ej206....
Posted Image

#4 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

Cheers Alex!

Couldn't really afford the FMIC when it was done, plus the STi top mounts are massive, so I didn't see the point of sacrificing my throttle response and added turbo lag. Not only that, but I'd have to cut my new front bar, which cost me a pretty penny...
If it was still the standard B4 TMIC, I would seriously consider it though. Those are rather small.

No no, definitely a 20R. 208 was the OEM one, and I've been through my standard one of those plus a brand new 207. The second hand 20R was the third, and probably would have lasted if not for the weeks worth of driving around with a dead coilpack. The Spec C motor is my fourth engine in that car. Its been a very long and expensive journey, but I have learnt much along the way. So I probably wouldn't change things if I got the chance to go back.

MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 05:06 PM

So you were rockin' a 20R and not a 208? ;)

Wow!

Must have been the 20R shortblock, with your heads, as the manifold bolt pattern wouldn't have been compatible with the 20R heads.

What happened with the 207?

In the future, consider a FMIC when you get some coin. Lag? LOL! None here mate! No one who has upgraded to one has reported lag... But at least you have the STi cooler, better than the B4 TMIC for sure!

How are you enjoying the cure from ttAIDS?

#6 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:03 PM

good job ben! good to see ya back over here mate :P

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#7 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 07:13 AM

Yea, it was complete with heads and exhaust manifold (off a '99 JDM TT) - I had to put my inlet manifold and main coolant pipe on, as well as have the main pulley and cam gear (the one that has the sensor pickups) changed for the engine to actually start. It was being tuned anyway, so the different compression ratios didn't bother me. So many other little differences there... Almost every sensor had to be changed for the old ones off the B4 motor.

The 207 I was rather unhappy about - lasted 6 months (23,000 km) before it spun no. 4 big end. I couldn't afford to get it tuned when it was built, so it really was my own fault it died, but... I'm still a little dark over that.

Mmm, its something I'm still thinking about, but it will still mean I need to carve up my bumper, and considering it cost me 1500 once you count the paint, I'm understandably skeptical. A water spray kit should do the job nicely with the STi cooler. As for the lag, I suppose it depends heavily on the size of the piping, but I've seen an extra 150 - 200 rpm before boost on one car due simply to the I/C air capacity.

I actually liked the twins believe it or not. I just got a little over trying to make it work. But I really like this setup. Works well.

Yep, back over here aek!

#8 b4me

b4me

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:49 PM

G'day Ben,
Came across your post whilst considering my own B4 and the pending STI motor conversion given the amount of pinging its doing lately. I actually work just down the road for AMAuto and saw Miles deep in the middle of youre conversion. Now youve got it done how does the STI compare to the old twin? The dyno charts show more power but how does it feel in your hands. Miles said at the time the power is more linear with the STi motor, are you finding that?
Any info would be great given its going to be a fair slug to the hip pocket.
Sean

#9 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 07:56 PM

Simply put Sean - it doesn't. The STi beats it in almost every aspect. Only thing I miss is having boost down low (please note I said boost, not power)
It is much more linear - it simply just pulls, and doesn't stop pulling, even once you're up in the revs, though the power graph somewhat shows that. Initially I didn't like the exhaust note that it produced with the twin scroll, but it seems to be growing on me, and also initial start was a little hard to get used to - 1st gear is a little tall for the single turbo. There was an issue with over boost on the stock setup - this was initially stopped with a bleed valve, and then the tune. Stock boost control couldn't handle cold weather while under high loads.
Other than that, this eclipses the stock setup, even tuned. I found that unless you are on clean bitumen, 1st and 2nd want to start spinning the wheels once you're up in the revs. Even tuned, the twins never got even close to doing that.

It was well and truly worth every penny. Do it, and then get it tuned (be it with ecutek or another place, doesn't matter). You won't look back.

Cheers,
Ben

#10 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 04 January 2011 - 03:44 PM

Hey Ben,

Nice work mate, looks great and sounds like you're really happy with the results. Very interesting reading your responses and opinions on things too. I hope that this motor will go the distance for you!

Dylan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users