25 replies to this topic

#21 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:10 PM

E) Performance workshops have to deal with A LOT of wankers, unreliable people (get used to chasing bills through courts), dangerous people

OMFG so very true, more so in the paint trades.

Tristan, to sum it up there is f*ck all money in the vehicle trades in general. You either love it and stay, or hate it and leave.

I will add though, it is HIGHLY unlikely you'll walk out and find an apprenticeship. You need to show prior interest. The only way workshops will accept this is if you do a TVET course or a pre-apprenticeship course at TAFE.
From memory a pre-apprenticeship course will cost around $250-$400 and run for around twelve months (one day/night a week.).
Doing one of these courses will really help you not only find someone willing to offer an apprenticeship, but the skills you'll gain will be invaluable when you start working.
TSM

#22 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:39 PM

Im doing a TVET course and have done a pre-apprenticeship course, its still hard to find apprenticeships. Many people think their like an apple tree, you walk up and take what you want, when in reality its quite the opposite. Is their anyway you can use your IT knowledge to get into the ECU sections of cars? wouldnt get as dirty either

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#23 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 06:47 PM

He'd still need to do the trade, then specialize.
TSM

#24 Blaeven

Blaeven

The Renowned

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:53 AM

Is their anyway you can use your IT knowledge to get into the ECU sections of cars? wouldnt get as dirty either

i thought that...

but soop's right... need to get into the industry first...

maybe one of those tafe courses would be a good idea... maybe even better than becoming a mechanic...

i just want to do something that will teach me more about cars... i know you can learn a fair bit by yourself... but it's better to be taught in my oppinion...

i'll look into those tafe courses *tries to find them*

2mmwi1w.jpg

#25 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

You can become a trades assistant? which just helps out and does oil filters and small stuff. then if you like it and want more.. ask for a job as a mechanic
MY02 Liberty B4

#26 Guest_SubaruJunkie_*

Guest_SubaruJunkie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

I couldnt be bothered reading through all the crap... But i can tell you there is no future in a mechanic unless you work for yourself and do another trade next to it like auto electrician...coz thats where everything is going electrical...and plus u might be dirty and oily but you will be making more money then in It if you work for yourself... I work full time and i still do favours and at times charge money less then workshops to do jobs for friends on the forum... so i can tell you you can make money if your not lazy and willing to put it the hard yards at the early tafe stage and shit money for first 2 years...but once you start to learn things fasater and become better and quicker at your job..money comes in...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users