13 replies to this topic

#1 claire6

claire6

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

hi,i know prob covered heaps but ive searched and cant find the answer.
i own a 1992 gx awd sedan with the std 2.2 getting on and picking car up for a decent price am weighing up turboing option compared to basic rebuild.
have a few questions about cost vs ease vs longevity-
-fitting a rs liberty driveline vs fitting an early wrx drivline?
-frontcut or just engine bolt up to standard anything?
-approx cost of each,capable of fitting myself except for loom/computer?
-legacy twin turbo into gen1?
-engineering of both?
-best place in western sydney to source front cut/engine?
thanks for any help.

#2 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:38 PM

Get a wrx front cut, that way you can upgrade the front brakes to the wrx ones over your shitty GX brakes, and whatever front suspension goodies you find on it too, as well as steering wheel, ecu etc. You'll get the engine crossmember with a half cut as well which you need for the conversion.
Also whatever you don't use from the halfcut you can sell off and make some of your money back.
I'd choose a wrx cut over an rs legacy one for the better heads, and just being a better engine all round, depends on your budget though.
I wouldn't know about the cost of doing it because I've never done it :P
Wouldn't go a twin turbo engine because they're over complicated and have aids.
Engineering should be easy as long as you upgrade the brakes and suspension to suit the power.
I've heard good things about justjap, and also ichiban to source all kinds of goodies from :)

Cheers, Grant

#3 claire6

claire6

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:44 PM

yeah thats what i was leaning towards,even an early wrx driveline.
thanks for your input sounds like the way to do it.

#4 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

Go to Itchybum.
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#5 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:22 PM

Hi,

Not sure about what model you would be looking for wrx wise, but as above, go a WRX half cut. If you can, see if you can find an STi halfcut (Better camshafts, larger turbo, and some other bits and pieces I've forgotten)

Most engines and gearboxes in the EJ range will interchange with one another, so you will find if you get a halfcut, most of the boltholes for major components will slot straight in.

Im putting a 98 GC8 STi halfcut into my gen 3 wagon at the moment, and I can tell you 100% that the engine, gearbox, rear diff and a manual liberty tailshaft all bolt straight into my chassis. I'm also converting mine from auto to manual, and all the wrx pedals bolt straight in ( there is even pre cut holes for clutch master cylinder already)

As for the wiring, if you are putting a turbo engine in, there will be some changes that need to be made to make it work. I would highly recommend sending the looms to AMAuto in Noosaville, QLD for a complete rewire and mating of the 2 looms (wrx and lib looms) Al (jzk25) does a fantastic job for a reasonable price, and will be a plug and play setup. Alot of the guys hold his work in high regard.

You will have to change the exhaust, tailshaft (if going from auto to manual) and ancillaries such as fuel pump, to handle the extra power. I would highly recommend getting a halfcut, as it will come with moat of the parts you will need, including the bigger brakes, which will be super important considering you'll be almost doubling the cars standard factory hp output.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Post some pics up of your car.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#6 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:38 PM

+1 for Al's work.
Some of the stuff he does is amazing, a work of art!

#7 claire6

claire6

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:38 PM

can source a cheap 99 forester gt frontcut would it be worth throwing that in?
anyone done/benefits/issues/ease of amauto splice harness' like wrx ones?

#8 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Mate I would definitely go the WRX cuts (or STi budget permitting) over the foz. Unless you can pick up the foz cut for under $200.

AMAuto's wiring work is fantastic, it takes all the hassles out of it. Just tell him what you're running (chassis wise) and what the cut is and viola plug it in and away you go.

WRX you will get better bang for buck, injector and turbo wise - not sure about heads and camshafts but maybe worth checking it out. I am not an expert on the 99 GT's, so check it all out - but I would imagine a WRX / STi cut will be a much better option for you.

#9 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:02 AM

Anything past 98 you will have to make sure you get the gearbox with the cut. Not that its a good idea to run a 92 N/A box behind a turbo engine, but the early gearbox wont physically bolt up to the late engine.

Good luck!
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#10 claire6

claire6

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:06 AM

much appreciated guys for all your input.wrx(hopefuklly sti)it will be ill start hunting around for a cut and keep you updated.
thanks again.

#11 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:11 PM

GT foz has weaker internals, different cams, shitty turbo, shitty injectors.

See if you can find an early model wrx cut. I mean, the foz will work, and it will be faster then what you have, but in terms of a base for modifying reliably, and power wise, it won't cut the mustard.

Make sure you get a rear diff with the half cut too, as it will more thennlikely be different ratios, and will end up with either a blown box, blown diff, or a twisted tailshaft.

With AMAuto, send your current loom + the engine loom from the wrx/foz and he will mate the 2 together, and send back a plug and play loom.

Bolt engine and box to car, plug in loom, start car and enjoy boosting. You may need a different tailshaft as well if you are going from auto to manual.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#12 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:32 PM

Anything past 98 you will have to make sure you get the gearbox with the cut. Not that its a good idea to run a 92 N/A box behind a turbo engine, but the early gearbox wont physically bolt up to the late engine.

Good luck!
Ben

Thr box will bolt up no worries.

To save some cash get a rs liberty wiring loom from the rslc, put that in yourself. Then you can run any pre 98 motor no worries. You may have to changr thr cutter plate on the crank, so the cam sensor doesnt freak.

but go for it. Do as much yourself as you can. And enjoy the feeling of turbro.

most of us on here have done a few conversions and are more willing to help
MY02 Liberty B4

#13 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:18 PM

Also, A/S/L?

Cheers,
Shazza

#14 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

Good luck!
Ben

Yes it will. 4 bolt gearbox on a 6 bolt block is easier than the other way around. I run a 97 box with an 01 block and had no issues at all bolting them together.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users