#1 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 05:38 PM

Hey guys,

Just hooked up my new headunit, sub + amp, all went to plan except for one thing.. My immobiliser doesn't alarm the car anymore, it just locks it? I don't get a chirp or flash of indicators, the doors just lock as normal. Not sure what immobiliser it is, but it was put in by the previous owner. Anyone else had a similar experience that I might be missing? I could have knocked something out from behind the dash when I put the new head unit in? The screen on the immobiliser remote just shows the car as "unlocked", even if i press lock/unlock (but it does LOCK the car, just not ALARM it).

Cheers,

Nick.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#2 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 06:48 PM

was the battery still hooked up while doing the headunit install
just thinking you may have blown a fuse?

depending on what alarm etc, you may have some inline fuses in the alarm wires

#3 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:08 PM

was the battery still hooked up while doing the headunit install
just thinking you may have blown a fuse?

depending on what alarm etc, you may have some inline fuses in the alarm wires

Actually, foolishly it was still hooked up. I considered that, but I had been plugging the headunit in and out all week as I was playing around with different setups and the alarm was still working then from what I recall. May have been the last time though. Oh, I did run the battery dead too on Saturday, could that be an attribute?

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#4 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:53 PM

Doesn't look like it's a fuse. I can't see any inline fuses anywhere and both fuse boxes are okay. Any other tips guys? Cheers.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#5 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 03:59 PM

hey mate, check your hazard switch
usually installers tap into the hazard switch wiring to flash the indicators and sometimes trigger a chirp. depends on model and installer.
but its easy to have the wiring pulled and bugger that up when working on the radio. it is just up above there after all, well at least i think it is still on gen3 :unsure:
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#6 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:02 PM

also, check your manual, usually installers stick a sticker in there. and sometimes write the override pin in there. as stupid as it sounds.
should be able to get a alarm model from there, then you can always look up issues with the same model or get the install instructions and find out how that is wired up.

#7 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:16 PM

hey mate, check your hazard switch
usually installers tap into the hazard switch wiring to flash the indicators and sometimes trigger a chirp. depends on model and installer.
but its easy to have the wiring pulled and bugger that up when working on the radio. it is just up above there after all, well at least i think it is still on gen3 :unsure:

also, check your manual, usually installers stick a sticker in there. and sometimes write the override pin in there. as stupid as it sounds.
should be able to get a alarm model from there, then you can always look up issues with the same model or get the install instructions and find out how that is wired up.

Thanks for the help man! I'll go give all that a try! I do know my hazards work as I have had to use them twice in the past week :P hahaha. But looks like I'll have to take the dash apart again. Thanks again.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#8 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

what kind of alarm do you have mate?

#9 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 04:35 PM

what kind of alarm do you have mate?

I think it's a cheapo brand the previous owner installed. The only branding I can see is "SPY" which is over the immobiliser remotes. The picture is like a shield with a lion on it.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#10 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

have a go at fixing it mate, would help if you had a diagram tho

if you cant fix it its probably not worth the troubles, auto sparkies install decent alarms for cheap these days

#11 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 05:16 PM

have a go at fixing it mate, would help if you had a diagram tho

if you cant fix it its probably not worth the troubles, auto sparkies install decent alarms for cheap these days

Will do man, I got tomorrow off school so I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the help anyway.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#12 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

You should upgrade to the Brant alarm from a B4.. BEST alarm ever, you'll never have any issues with it, and will work flawlessly forever.

On a serious note, it might be your actual alarm module that died, if so, alarms are cheap dude..

your door locks and alarm are 2 different circuits.

#13 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 10:04 PM

You should upgrade to the Brant alarm from a B4.. BEST alarm ever, you'll never have any issues with it, and will work flawlessly forever.

On a serious note, it might be your actual alarm module that died, if so, alarms are cheap dude..

your door locks and alarm are 2 different circuits.

Where abouts normally are they located? In the engine bay or behind the dash or something?

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#14 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 08 March 2011 - 09:54 AM

Where abouts normally are they located? In the engine bay or behind the dash or something?

depends on the installer dude,

90% of the time, the main module (brain) of the alarm will be under the dash on the drivers side, and usually cable tied up to the steering column, if not might be hidden behind the stereo part of the car, if not there! then could be on the passenger side.

Should be a little black box with a few wire clips on the back.. if it's a cheap alarm, the colour of the wires will be all of the rainbow.. if it's a good alarm, they will be all black.

#15 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

depends on the installer dude,

90% of the time, the main module (brain) of the alarm will be under the dash on the drivers side, and usually cable tied up to the steering column, if not might be hidden behind the stereo part of the car, if not there! then could be on the passenger side.

Should be a little black box with a few wire clips on the back.. if it's a cheap alarm, the colour of the wires will be all of the rainbow.. if it's a good alarm, they will be all black.

Cheers, I'll take a look this arvo some time.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#16 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 08 March 2011 - 11:38 AM

Just to clarify, the hazards would still work if they used that wiring.. its just easy for the installer to tap into the hazard circuit and "mimic" the press of the button for a split second to flash the indicators.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users