• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Scooby

Scooby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 03:34 PM

I'm looking at getting some new after market headers: http://cgi.ebay.com....e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And I'm wondering if they'll fit my car which is a 97 subaru liberty RX, I know that the general shape will fit they're the correct type, but just want to know if the bolt holes from centre to centre will be the same because the headers are for a turbo engine and mine is not.

any help will be appreciated

#2 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:48 PM

auto or manual as there is a difference in design?

from what i can tell, looking at my mates auto one, the header design bolts up how a turbo manifold would, with the rest of the exhaust starting where a turbo up-pipe would be. Im soon going to fit them on and see what happens, if it works you'll get the turbo rumble!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#3 Scooby

Scooby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 71 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

its a manual

#4 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 05:06 PM

they'll fit but its pointless, you'll need some fancy and money wasting pipe work to get them to join to the rest of the exhaust. Just find a set of NA aftermarket headers, either way, they'll make a bees **** of difference. Better off spending money on making it stop and handle nicely.

The money you spend doing headers would probably get you at least a front and rear swaybar or even 4 pot brakes with rotors.

#5 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

Don't bother with those. Just get a set of oem gc8 wrx headers - will bolt straight up and will make your exhaust sound awesome. And costs peanuts.

Only modification needed is for a new thread for the o2 sensor.

#6 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 06:20 PM

they'll bolt up but same problem as before. His car is NA, where is the rest of the exhaust going to attatch to??

#7 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 07:57 AM

Gen2 RX's have the same exhaust manifold as a WRX anyway. It just goes up and over the engine cross member. I don't know why you'd bother changining it to something with just bigger primaries. You'll loose torque. You ain't got that much to play with let alone loosing it...
TSM

#8 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 08:24 AM

It will bolt straight to the uppipe bit. Trust me, I have done it. Rx headers are equal length so no burble, thats why you would change it. I didn't notice a loss of torque

#9 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:37 AM

oh okay, i was just under the impression it was only the autos that had that bit!

#10 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

How are RX headers even length?
Every Gen2 RX i've seen has WRX style manifolds with a silly up pipe going over the Xmember.
TSM

#11 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 10:53 PM

Every Gen2 RX i've seen has WRX style manifolds with a silly up pipe going over the Xmember.

Yeh I was thinking the same thing. They're uneven.

They sound pretty great with the Rexy headers though (weren't they the Borala replicas that came on eBay many years ago?).

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#12 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:25 PM

The 2 banks converge at a central point in the manifold before mating up with the up pipe bit. They were designed to neutralise the boxer burble.

#13 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:30 PM

yeah they come from each side of the engine and meet at the front, right in the middle with a T that comes of the front and then bends around the drivers side to mate up with the rest of the exhaust.

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#14 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:32 PM

Yeh I was thinking the same thing. They're uneven.

They sound pretty great with the Rexy headers though (weren't they the Borala replicas that came on eBay many years ago?).

Those eBay headers you are thinking of were for all na gen 1, 2 and 3 bar the 2.5 dohc. The 2.5 dohc uses a turbo crossmember so those headers won't fit to the gen2 2.5.

#15 Shiv

Shiv

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

Those eBay headers you are thinking of were for all na gen 1, 2 and 3 bar the 2.5 dohc. The 2.5 dohc uses a turbo crossmember so those headers won't fit to the gen2 2.5.

Ah yes, I stand corrected. How could I forget - they fit everything but the Gen2 2.5L...

liftbacktestCustom3_zps39c01efc.jpg

#16 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:36 PM

i used this style when mine was N/A: http://cgi.ebay.com....=item45f8dcd61a

got put those on, pulled out the noodle that goes over the crossmember and just had it mated up with the centre pipe like a normal exhaust would go

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#17 Soop

Soop

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 21 March 2011 - 08:19 AM

Oh god.
They're not designed to neutralise the "boxer rumble". They're not even length. They're just not drastically un-even.
All they're designed to do, is take the exhaust gas from the engine to the rear of the car, they not even requiered to do it in a very efficient manner.

Using a turbo manifold is going to be fraught with fail. Make sure the Primaries aren't too big. I'd bet they are though.
NA and Turbo exhausts work very differently. You can't use a turbo manifold effectivly in an NA application.
TSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users