#1 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 22 March 2011 - 02:30 AM

Ok guys/girls, I am thinking about increasing the power on my beastie. Just curious on which mods should be done to achieve this.

Current specs are as follows:
MY02 ADM B4
Power level - 195kW as per dyno graph in my build thread (Boost at 21psi through mid-range, down to ~16psi at top end)
Engine - Ver 8 STi Spec C motor, all pretty much stock.
ECU tuning - Ecutek Type 3
Cooler - Standard Spec C TMIC
Fuel pump - 500hp Walbro
Fuel injectors - Stock 550cc Pinks (Rails and regulator stock, full load seems to put them to about 80-85% duty cycle according to the ECU diagnostics)
Zorst is a full 3" TBE, high flow cat, straight through muffler. Headers are stock.
Turbo - twin scroll VF36
Air filter/intake tract - Standard combo of STi/02 ADM B4, minus the resonator inside the inner guard
Cams - Stock spec C, believe that the inlet cam is controlled by AVCS. Is an '04 Spec C, which I think was to early to receive the exhaust cam AVCS control.

Ancillaries (I believe in making it stop and turn corners before making it go faster):
Full set of Brembos, decent rims/tyres etc.
Remote mount oil filter and 13 row bar and plate oil cooler
Suspension is nice enough to handle more. If I still need more fiddling in this area to handle more power, I'll sort it when it needs to be sorted rather than now.

Next mods that will be thought about:
Gearbox - rebuilt 5spd w/ straight cut 1-2, helical 3-4 PPG, needed for reliability.
Grimmspeed AOS, again, needed for engine longevity.
STi water spray for the cooler, probably a boot mounted 15L bottle to go with it.
Maybe a power steering cooler???

Bearing in mind that I do live in the middle of SA, in a desert, so I don't want to run too much more boost if I can help it. I'm thinking a larger set of injectors and the relevant fuel rail/regulator upgrades may be the way to go. Just seeing if it might be the wrong path to go down, given my supporting mods.
I know a lot of people will say to go a front mount, but unless the spec C TMIC is not capable of flowing much more power than what I have, I would prefer not to go down this route. If I get one, I'll need to completely rethink my oil cooler location, as well as the oil filter location, oil gauge sender locations, etc. So it would be a rather costly and time consuming exercise.

Sorry for the rather open-ended topic, I'm chasing ideas more than anything else.
If theres any more info needed for you to make a recommendation, please ask.

Cheers,
Ben

Edit - Oh, what seems to be the consensus on the hot-earth kits available? Not that I would ever pay 200 bucks for a few metres of 16mm2 flex cable, but I am a sparky, so rigging something like that up would be cheap as nails for me.

Edited by allpaw4, 22 March 2011 - 02:48 AM.

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#2 Billsy

Billsy

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Cars n shit!

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:08 AM

a bigger turbo will make a big difference, all VF's are small. but bigger turbo = lag so its upto you what you want.
chuck a gt2860 or TD06SL2 on it and go over 250kw with boost and pretty much what youve currently got. but youll have a laggy biatch compared to what it is now.

ideally a 2.5 + turbo will make it happy, as there is no replacement for displacement. period!

/2c

#3 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hey mate,

Have you thought about looking into a Cyrogenic CO2 spray system for the TMIC. It will basically freeze the cooler, giving you a much lower intake charge temp. Maybe a good invesment considering you live in the middle of bumfuck idahoe, and have fairly high temps?

The only other supporting mod i can think of is perhaps a parallel fuel setup and enternal aftermaret fuel pressure reg?

You could also look at a lightened flywheel to increase the acceleration, and maybe an underdrive pulley kit to get that motor free'd up a little?

Also, can the ECUtek run a dual map system, with a toggle switch? (My old Wolf 3D has a dual mpa, in which i had one for everyday driving, then had a rather aggressive map for track (More boost, more fuel, more spark)

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#4 Soop

Soop

Suck, squeeze, bang, blow.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 12:28 PM

Honestly, I'd say your running too much boost with that turbo.
Wind it back a bit and run a FMIC.

Cool air is more important then pressure.
TSM

#5 Evil_VZ-T

Evil_VZ-T

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 04:38 PM

Get a new CBRD BBK TD05 20G with the billet wheel, 258kws at 22psi on a 2ltr, same spool as a vf34 = WIN

whats what im looking at doing to my 2.5.

If you want to stay twin scroll, get a GTpumps twin scroll jobby.

vf36's arnt that large, so any of the newer bolt on twin scrolls would be fine!
MY02 Liberty B4

#6 allpaw4

allpaw4

Chief Sparky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Stereos, Electrical

Posted 04 May 2011 - 05:43 PM

Ah cool, sorry for the long time to reply. Thanks for the inputs guys. A 2.5, FMIC and a larger turbo seem to be the goods. Although, a question on injectors with the 2.5 - will the 550's be enough? I'm hitting 80 to 85 percent duty cycle now at 195 killawasps, so something with an extra half litre of capacity would need a larger sized set of injectors I would think. Any experience with this guys?

Yea, I quite like having go from low Billsy, I'm well into boost by 3k with this setup, so don't want to loose too much of that if I can.
Shazza, I'll have to think about the cryogenic CO2, good idea, I'll have to do some research on the legalities of a permanantly installed pressure cylinder in the car - I think it may need a warning label on the number plate as per LPG rules. I've heard regency will defect cars for the LPG thing, so it stands to reason that the CO2 would be in the same boat. Yes, the Spec C can run dual maps, and is being used here too. Although mine mainly adds power through the mid-range, so outright power is very similar.
Soop, I'm taking in the info regarding TM/FM, so it may happen yet. I've just got a lot of rooting around to do before its setup to take one though. Will be on the cards to change out once I'm chasing power though.
Lance, Yep, def staying twin scroll. I'll have a look at the options you've mentioned. The exhaust note has grown on me, and I dont want the added expense of new headers, so...

Cheers guys, info is much appreicated.
Ben

MY00 Red RX, a nice daily that was sold off once the B4 became reliable...
MY02 Blue B4, aka 'The Project' - v8 JDM STi engine package and assorted other 'goodies' - Sold, then bought back for parts. Stripped and crushed.
MY03 Blue RX, the newer old daily, pretty well more B4 than RX now... In the process of being converted to the track toy... Watch this space!
MY02 Silver Wagon, H6 conversion, full blue/black leather and almost full black interior to go with it.
MY03 White/Silver H6 Outback, donor car for silver waghoon.
MY97 Silver RX, acquired to become track car, but plans changed. To be stripped and scrapped in time.

#7 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:57 PM

you don't really want to go over 90% duty cycle. that's what my tuner told me for best reliability.

nothing wrong with that boost on an EJ207.

I suggest you look at a TD05 20G TS. that will produce the results you are after.

MY07 GT spec B

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users