Headgasket?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:13 PM

Hey guys, the other day I was checking the fluids etc in my car and found the header tank and overflow tank empty :/

The temp didn't rise at all when driving, and I didn't hear or see anything out of the norm.
I filled it up again, bled the system and let the car run for an hour. Let it cool down and then checked the level..all good, oh and the temp was fine the whole time, just under halfway.

Is it possible I have blown the head gasket and the water only escapes under pressure?

Cheers for any help you can give :)

#2 Scott

Scott

Formerly LiBeRtY Gx AwD

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:19 PM

anytime is conversion time :)

i wouldnt think you have blown the headgasket mate, very unlucky if you did

id just be keeping an eye on the guage for the next few days tho incase your overheating

#3 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:26 PM

Well I'd prefer if conversion time was when I'm back in Bris to cure the aids..

Be good if I haven't, already got enough problems with the clutch being broken..

Any other things that would cause this to happen? Car has been driven like a grandma as the clutch is worn out so no thrashing has occured..

#4 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:27 PM

May have a leak from thermostat or water pump, or hose or end tank... Just keep an eye on water levels and check your coolant for signs of oil and exhaust, and check your oil for signs of coolant !

#5 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2011 - 09:35 PM

When I filled up, I checked the coolant, looked fine, smelt fine..
I'm going to change the oil and put the car up on stands to have a proper look in a few days..busy at the moment and not driving. Couldn't see any tell tale signs of a leak in the obvious places though..

#6 CodeBurn3r

CodeBurn3r

Resident Mexican

• SubyClub Area Rep
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,048 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:14 PM

there is a hole on the waterpump just behind the pulley wheel. check there for sign of coolant, it should be visible from under car without removing anything( i think)
this point is designed to visibly leak a bit when the pump is on the way out.

not always but most of the time when a suby lets go of the HG it results in overflow of the coolant as the coolant chambers are pressurized with combustion gasses.
i would say that you probably just have a leak somewhere though.
but just check your oil cap, any milky crap in the top? water normally turns to steam and makes its way up there if it is leaking in that way.

also from memory you have an alloy Radiator yeah? check all the weld points, stray current can cause them to corrode out very quickly.
ams: "Can't live with them, can't throw rocks at them."

#7 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2011 - 10:22 PM

Cheers mate, oil cap was clean, first thing I checked :)
I'll have a look behind the water pump tomorrow if I get a chance, that would mean a new timing belt yeah?

Stock radiator as far as I know..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users