aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:44 PM

Posted Image

The highly anticipated all-new 2012 Subaru Impreza has just been unveiled at the New York Autoshow.

Subaru’s small car has been completely redesigned with a new look inside and out. The latest Impreza now stands on its own as a more aggressive car sporting design ideas that we previously saw in the Impreza concept.

In addition, the 2012 Subaru Impreza gains the company’s all-new 2.0-litre four-cylinder horizontally opposed Boxer engine. The new-generation powerplant delivers 110kW and 196Nm of torque (same as before) but promises significant improvements in fuel economy.

The Japanese company has done away with the outdated four-speed automatic transmission and upgraded its five-speed manual gearbox. All new Imprezas will be available with either a six-speed manual or a Lineartronic CVT (first seen in the MY10 Liberty and Outback) each sporting a different all-wheel drive system.

Currently there are no official fuel economy figures as the Impreza is yet to be tested in Australia but the combination of a new-generation engine and a better ratio manual gearbox or super-efficient CVT will certainly improve on the current Impreza’s 8.9L/100km (manual).

Manual Imprezas are equipped with a continuous AWD system that makes use of a “viscous-coupling locking centre differential” that will see power easily distributed 50/50 front and rear. The system is capable of pushing power to either end at up to 100 percent when needed.

Automatic Imprezas making use of a Lineartronic CVT have a different system called “Active Torque Split AWD” that employs an “electronically managed continuously variable transfer clutch” which constantly controls the distribution of power based on driving conditions.

The active torque split can transfer more power to the rear under hard acceleration as well as having the ability to send up to 100 per cent of available torque to the rear when necessary.

Over the last few years Subarus haven’t been widely regarded for their styling elegance, but the new Impreza may indeed be a sign of what’s to come.

Nick Senior, Managing Director, Subaru Australia, recently said about the car,

“New Impreza is the product of an exciting new design direction for Subaru that will be reflected in a whole family of future vehicles.”

We can only hope the new design direction will see Subaru get back to the glory days of muscular designs backed up by its existing sporty driving dynamics.

The most noticeable frontal design feature is the hexagonal honeycomb patterned grille, which has become a common design element in all-new Subaru designs. The rear of both the hatch and sedan models now look more aggressive thanks to sharper edges and cleaner lines. It’s hard to tell from these official pictures but the new Impreza does look pretty sporty in the flesh (check back soon as we bring you real-world photos from the show).

Without a doubt though, the interior is where the most significant improvements have taken place. No longer are hard plastics the norm with Subaru opting out to go for a more European-inspired cabin design. The new Impreza now makes use of soft-touch materials for the dashboard, door trim and centre console armrest.

The 2012 Impreza sits upon a larger wheelbase (2644mm compared with 2621mm), although its exterior dimensions would have you believe otherwise, which has resulted in more interior space.

Rear seat passengers benefit from an extra 50.8mm of legroom (along with bigger rear doors) whilst the A-pillar has moved forward by 200mm allowing for a greater door opening for the driver and passenger. The wing mirrors have increased in size by 23 percent for better visibility.

The top-of-door interior trim is 60mm lower than before whilst front and rear hip points are 10mm and 20mm higher, respectively.

Subaru has changed the instrument cluster to sit flatter for better visibility while the onboard computer now displays more information about the vehicle, giving access to a wider range of data.

Apart from the interior improvements the new Impreza has also been hit with the practicality stick, now providing a completely flat load floor when the standard 60/40 split rear seatbacks are folded (hatch). The sedan’s boot functionality is enhanced with support arms – reshaped and enclosed within the boot interior trim. Both variants now come with a telescopic steering wheel.

The stereo system is capable of reading not only USB but also support Bluetooth audio streaming (Australian specifications have not been confirmed so these features may or may not come on the very base model).

Some notable features include the infotainment technology unit which incorporates USB, iPod and Bluetooth support all-in-one, pumping out music through a six-speaker system.

High-spec Imprezas come with leather trim, climate control air conditioning, upgraded instrumentation and fog lights. A sunroof and factory-fitted satellite navigation can be purchased as options on premium variants.

Mr Senior believes the new Impreza will be the best handling small car on the market, stating

“There’s been a huge amount of work on handling and ride, and I believe dynamically, it will be the best small car on the market.”

This is hard to dispute given the current model’s AWD system already sets its apart from its FWD rivals.

The new Impreza benefits from a range of ride and handling enhancements such as strengthened front and rear suspension components, new liquid (hydraulic) engine mounts plus strengthened components and pillow-ball bushings for the rear suspension.

Premium models also get unique rebound springs in the front dampers and a rear stabiliser bar as well as paddle shifters on CVT variants.

Check back soon for more details on the new Impreza as we ask Subaru executives in New York about the vehicle’s expected launch date in Australia, the turbo-charging of the new boxer engine for the WRX variant and a whole lot more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR-6TyahJuA&feature=player_embedded

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This info and more can be found at: http://www.caradvice.com.au

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 ams

ams

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,212 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 05:47 PM

Posted Image

GOT WAGON?

Ugh i could ramble on for forking days about this stuff.

#3 hamish_023

hamish_023

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 06:59 PM

no but got corolla hatch with a subaru logo on the back...
Adelaide's finest Automotive Detailing
www.elitefinish.com.au
www.facebook.com/elitefinish

#4 Nicko_

Nicko_

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Subarus, 4WDing, Camping, Friends, Me Girlfriend

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:08 PM

+ 1

Front end just makes it look like a baby lib

#5 Shaz

Shaz

Differential Studios

• SC Videographer
  • 23,188 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:27 PM

Corolla x Honda Accord Euro front x liberty grill.

Will wait for STi model before judgement.

Cheers,
Shazza

I put up with people from amnesty, red cross and now the cancer council almost daily hounding me!! Throw in the greens, green peace, unhcr, save the forking children and I've well and truly hit my limit for the number of fuckstains wanting me to sign something or give money. Seriously cubts,  :fork: right off.

#6 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:53 PM

ugh same story as always, great front half, piss awful rear end. Hatch looks pretty cool though. Actually quite like the front styling, and the interior is a MASSIVE step forward for the Impreza.

Why is it, that they just simply CANNOT make a rear end look good anymore, its like they lose all their direction and energy with the back and just go for generic styling to fill in the blanks.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#7 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:27 PM

WTF is that thing??

OMG?? Subaru have just raised the re-sale value of my lib, and all rex's up until 06.. these new designs are TERRIBLE!

The back looks like a Honda City (poor mans civic).

Who is the designer?, he needs to be run over with his own car he designed, or better yet get him a pair of glasses.

#8 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:52 PM

interior looks tops. wonder if they will turbo charge the new boxer motor and release a MY12 WRX in this model? or keep the current for another year (considering it is only a year old now..)

MY07 GT spec B

#9 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:56 PM

i would say they would have to keep it another 1 or 2 years.

And they need to stop having bring-your-kids-to-work day in the design dept.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#10 Matt R.

Matt R.

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Subaru, Off Roading, Computers, Planes, Mechanics, Drums, Acting...

Posted 23 April 2011 - 02:31 PM

Ughhh the back looks like a honda civic's (early 00's models).

BUT i'm actually very pleased with Front layout, reminds me of the Legacy GT. The interior is very nice too, looking forward to the WRX / STi's! It's quite interesting how these designers make mass produced cars, they've done years of design study etc but I think even I could model a nicer rear-end haha.
Proud Subaru Driver of 5 Years

2008 Subaru Legacy 3.0 Spec S/W - Sunroof, leather, SI Drive, Xenons, 18' GTB Alloys, Quartz Grey
2000 Subaru Lancaster6 3.0 S/W - Beige Suede Interior, HID Headlamps, Pearl White
1993 Subaru Impreza S-Edition S/W - 5-Speed Manual, Blue, 1.8L EJ18 - Sold April '13
2001 Subaru Lancaster6 3.0 S/W - Sold May '12
1999 Subaru Legacy B4 2.0 - Sold Jan '11

#11 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 01:31 AM

signature_1_35.jpg

#12 TSG

TSG

Cured

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 02:05 AM

It seems ok, the rear is too conservative though. Also that is the end of the frameless windows :( I had my first up close look at a Gen5 Liberty this weekend. Friend of my uncle, he hates it, been recalled and had whole parts replaced multiple times. This is a bloke that has owned every Subaru Outback since they came out, and a couple Liberty... he regrets changing to it from the Gen4 he had, which was a much better car that gave him no problems.

#13 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 08:09 PM

Sedan

Hatch

signature_1_35.jpg