• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:10 PM

I know you can fairly easily remap 2001+ model b4's, but is there any known way to remap the earlier subaru ecus?
Mine is a '99 or '00 jap import gtb twin turbo engine.

#2 BigWillieStyles

BigWillieStyles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 09:36 PM

I believe you can ECUtek them as the ECU is listed on their website. You could also opt for an aftermarket piggyback or standalone if you have the cash.

#3 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:20 AM

I know you can fairly easily remap 2001+ model b4's, but is there any known way to remap the earlier subaru ecus?
Mine is a '99 or '00 jap import gtb twin turbo engine.

The older ones are the JECS system (same as GC8 and earlier Legacy / Liberty's).

In short : It is not possible.

In long: It is possible to do. BUT. Requires you to purchase chips and program them yourself - then solder them on to the board (bypassing the original ROM chips). I can find some information on this, but it will take you time and money to find and purchase the gear you need. You will not have as much definition with tuning with a JECS system compared with a modern day Haltech, Microtech or similar.

There are ECU's floating around that have been "tuned" however, I have a v2 STi ecu in my car that has been chipped by MINES. More aggressive fuel mapping and timing, increased RPM limit, removed boost cut, removed speed cut and other goodies. You could look around to see if you can find one of these for yours.

You could also consider a 'piggy back' ECU, like a Haltech interceptor - these will allow you to change your fuel and ignition timing - but still won't give you the options you have with a full aftermarket.

I will eventually be changing to a Microtech in mine, have quite a bit of stuff to do first - but this will help me run big injectors, a bigger turbo and supporting mods SAFELY.

OK.

Some information here: http://www.alcyone.o...ssm/ecumod.html

The chips you need (27C1028) can be had from this website along with a EPROM eraser and programmer (I am pretty certain this is the correct unit).

Take a look at the above site for what you actually need to do with this stuff ;)

Edited by Dylan, 30 April 2011 - 01:28 AM.
found the info

#4 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

Wow. I wish I had even the slightest understanding of that, I would love to have a crack at building and programming my own ecu but as soon as someone talks about roms, zif's and basically any other computer jargon I draw a mental blank. Never mind, maybe I will learn one day.

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

Make your own ECU!!

http://www.megasquirt.info/

:)

#6 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:25 PM

Make your own ECU!!

http://www.megasquirt.info/

:)

Wow! Not too sure about the name of that product - seems pretty good though !

#7 Richo

Richo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,765 posts
  • Interests:Not the internet

Posted 30 April 2011 - 12:57 PM

Is that the ECU the mad professor runs ?

Stuff goes here

#8 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 07:22 PM

hmm, i was afraid it would need a new chip to allow me to edit the maps. I've done that once before with a nistune and it worked really well, but the nistune is really well set up and makes life easy. Not really keen to stuff around with eprom erasers and that kind of stuff.
I will most likely end up with an aftermarket ecu although i'm not quite sure how to interface one with the auto box tcu, maybe i could keep the factory ecu running in parallel to keep the tcu happy.

Also, i would not recommend a microtech, at least not a lt10s. I've run one of these before and they are great for track cars, but pretty crap for a street driven car. They don't have good idle control and the cold running settings is terrible. Also they have an 02 sensor input, but don't actually use it for any closed loop fuel control... which is just stupid. In short, the car went like a cut snake at full boost, but idled like **** and used too much fuel.

I'm a big fan of the megasquirts, also quite like adaptronics due to their high flexibility. Although for mildly modified street cars, you can't beat a remapped factory ecu for all round driveability, economy and ease of use.

#9 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

While I agree with you to some extent, I have to disagree.

I hate hotwire airflow meters. I hate early ECU's, as mentioned by Dylan, are a royal chunt in terms of modification. Very little out there in terms of support for them.

Picking up an aftermarket "tuned" ECU is a bit of pot luck. More agro ignition curves and fueling... but how do you know you're getting the right tune for your setup??

Especially when you have a freaking uber rare 90mm GTB/V3/V4 STi unit which is not available locally.

I'll be going aftermarket really soon, controlled by a MAP sensor, and a wideband 02 sensor.

A few other secret herbs and spices also :)

#10 acres

acres

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 572 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 08:43 AM

I like the sound of megasquirt - "It is intended as an educational process"
May have to look a little closer at this product

#11 Dylan

Dylan

Almost gen2 time.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,236 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 02:20 PM

Also, i would not recommend a microtech, at least not a lt10s. I've run one of these before and they are great for track cars, but pretty crap for a street driven car. They don't have good idle control and the cold running settings is terrible. Also they have an 02 sensor input, but don't actually use it for any closed loop fuel control... which is just stupid. In short, the car went like a cut snake at full boost, but idled like **** and used too much fuel.

Interesting feedback. Haven't heard that about Microtech's before, have heard cold running stories about Haltech's though (I am starting to think these stories are just spread by both camps to try and nay say the other brand!). Will talk with the guy that recommended Microtech to me about that and see what he has to say, might have to get him to show me a car with one so I can take a look and see how it feels??

Megasquirt looks pretty interesting!

Alex - I think you're on the money there - MAP and wideband = :)

#12 Billsy

Billsy

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 107 posts
  • Interests:Cars n shit!

Posted 02 May 2011 - 11:14 AM

ive built and run a few megasquirts, theyre awsome as far as features and what they allow you to do with them.
but they arent for beginners, that is unless your VERY patient and willing to spend ALOT of time reading up on everything.
unfortunately the MS forums are a mess of knowledge and finding what your after can take along time.
but once theyre setup and working theyre great.

combine it with a Wideband and you have an easy to tune, very customizable setup.
also they have programmable outputs that can be used to trigger T-TT changeover at any load/rpm point. so theyre suitable as a replacement for a TT ECU. and can automatically switch maps depending on the selected operation.
note though that i havent run one on a TT, ive got one for it, but never installed it before i decided to go back to stock.

#13 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 02:48 PM

Anyone know how I can keep the factory automatic and TCU with an aftermarket ecu? If I can work out exactly what communications between the tcu and ecu are I guess you could do it. I know there is a speed signal that goes from the tcu to the ecu, but thats about it. I would assume there are one or two wires that tell the ecu to reduce ignition timing on gearshifts, and probably a signal wire for the ecu to tell the tcu what the engine load is.
Actually i would suspect that it would be possible to use an aftermarket ecu with the auto, but it could result in poor performance from the gearbox, such as rough gearshifts, or not shifting at the right rpms and god knows what else.

The main reason I want to be able to tune it, is I am think of converting to liquid lpg injection and I think it will only be worth it if I can retune the fuel and ignition maps to take full advantage of the lpg. Maybe a piggy back like an e-manage would be best for me?

#14 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:06 PM

I've just discovered that ecutek supports my version ecu (22611 af330). Shame it is rediculous $$$$$$. You could have a full aftermarket ecu for the price of an ecutek tune.
But if I want to stay with the factory ecu and automatic box then I'm not sure if there are any other options. I wonder why openecu can't do it if ecutek can?

#15 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 03 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

i don't know of any that with support the factory auto. i converted my Liberty to manual so i could run a Haltech

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#16 Daniel-B4

Daniel-B4

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 10:39 AM

I just took mine to APC in underwood QLD(wont happen again)
they said they could not do anything with the stock ECU
but i needed to cuz its tuned for the 101 gas over in japan
it has lost 18kW's since they looked at it...
im looking for a new ECU or chip...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users