10 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel92

Daniel92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:53 AM

Hey guys,

I finally got around to getting my P's after having my car for 2 months meow (for anyone who recognises it, I'm Jordan's brother).
I'm driving a Subaru Liberty 2.5 Rx Gen 3 which is in perfect mechanical condition. I bought it for $7,500 with ¬120,000 k's...
The only problem I've had with it was that the rear left speaker always sounded a bit shotty whenever I put the volume up, which I tend to love doing...
I eventually decided to pull the door apart and found that the speaker was more than a little bit broken, it was completely torn and blown out. I took it out and went down to Supercheap, repco and a bunch of wreckers looking for a replacement, but no-one can get their hands on an identical one, so I've decided I may aswell go all out and put in a whole new speaker system.

Problem is though that I don't really know all that much about what I'm doing. The speaker I took out is a Clarion 6'' 4ohm, 15V nominal with a 6.5'' triangle fitting (the standard speaker for the car).
I want to replace it with something that will be loud and bassy, but I have a budget of about $200. I'm replacing the headdeck that came with the car with a Sony BT3300U.

Could install most speakers that have a 6.5'' triangle fitting on my own, but anything that needs a proper fitting I'm going to need to get professionally installed (or a rediculously good guide).

Need to replace the 4 door speakers, and don't know if I need to change the crossovers and tweeters (don't know the difference between crossovers and I don't know why I need to change the tweeters if they work properly).

Any suggestions for speakers or installation processes is more than appreciated.

Any help, tips or suggestions are also very appreciated.

#2 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 01:00 AM

Search like a mofo.

There's a new DIY section, might find something useful there.

There was thread regarding sound system suggestions not loooong back, a lot of info and brands/speakers thrown up there.

Like I said, search like a mofo, it might take some time but all your questions have been answered on here before, and in great detail.

Jordan selling drugs to buy a STi yet? If not tell him to hurry it up.

edit: found this; http://www.subyclub....__fromsearch__1

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#3 Jordan

Jordan

Jordyshore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 10:44 AM

Yes I am Duke, want some panadol?

Jordan - MY02 Forester GT - Sydney

#4 DukeNik'em

DukeNik'em

Car Sl#t

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 11:35 AM

Yes I am Duke, want some panadol?

for $25 a pill it better be good panadol

If thy tint is dark and thy wheels are black thou car be declared b11tchin'

So you can run it on 6psi with an rx fuel pump? :P

#5 Jordan

Jordan

Jordyshore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,017 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

Its Not.

Jordan - MY02 Forester GT - Sydney

#6 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 04:19 PM

Your front speakers are pretty decent anyway once you get decent head unit in there. A mate was gonna upgrade the speakers in his gen3, I installed a headunit anne 10" subwooofer for him. And he was shocked with how good the stock speakers sounded. He was glad he didn't spend a heap of money on other speakers.

But Since one of yours is broken I'd just take your speaker in to your local Jb or car audio joint and say you want a speaker to go where this one went and want to spend upto $200. They'll be able to fix you up with something pretty good :) infact you probably wont need to spend much more then $100

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#7 Daniel92

Daniel92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

I've found speakers that I could actually install myself, but they are only available as non-composite(no tweeter). Considering that the wattage going to each speaker is going to be more than that of the stocks (because of the new head unit), do I need to get new tweeters, will the old ones blow out due to the higher voltage, or will it all be fine if I just swap out the door speakers.

Also, I'll sell the panadols for $20 a piece, just nick them from his room and he'll never notice...

#8 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

The rear speakers don't have tweeters.

The new unit won't put a higher voltage into the speakers, it'll put my wattage ;)

As I stated the stock speakers run fine on an aftermarket headunit.They actually run really good. The stock speakers are made by clarion. So their pretty decent.

#9 Daniel92

Daniel92

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 04:51 PM

Ahh, I forgot to mention, one my front left speaker has blown aswell, so I'm just going to replace all four door speakers, but from what I understand, the new headunit wont affect the tweeters anyway...

Looks like I have my project for tomorrow...

#10 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 05:00 PM

Yeah new speakers and the tweeters should work fine :)

#11 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 03 July 2011 - 06:11 PM

I've put a single 6x9 woofer on the parcel shelf and gotten rid of my massive sub in the boot.

The base is 100x more clearer as the bass is in the cabin, not the boot, plus it's an expensive 6x9.

There is a 6x9 cutout in the metal on the parcel shelf, all you need to do is cut the carpet out and it fits in snug!

It's a clean way to save space and have good, cheap base.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users