- Socket set longest extension
- 17mm x2 and 14mm Spanner
- Pliers
- Screwdriver
- Exhaust sealant
- WD40/RP7
- Jack stands/Jack

Pre-removal tips:

Make sure you have a clean and uncluttered working space, and have your tools organised for easy access. Dedicate a section of your work space for tools only, this not only makes the job quick and easy but ensures no tools are lost or damaged. Be aware the area you are working on may have oil/coolant spilt onto it. Make it handy to have a creeper and a towel handy so you dont get wet and oily.

Keep all removed nuts/bolts/parts together in a container so as not to lose them.

To make the job easier, spray a lubricant such as WD40 or RP7 onto and around the nuts and bolts surrounding the turbo and exhaust. Allow to soak in for a good half hour or so before starting work.

Procedure:

1. Remove engine cover and/or strut braces (if applicable)

2. Remove Intercooler. If TMIC, undo the 2 bracket bolts at either side. Next, undo the hose clamp at the throttle body and the turbo outlet. Remove BOV vaccum and vent fittings. Intercooler can sometimes take a bit to get off, move it upwards and jiggle side to side for best results. For FMIC piping, undo and remove the hot side piping. Be sure not to let any hose clamps drop off the silicon/plastic hosing.

3. Remove the turbo heat shield. Usually held on by a number of 10mm bolts, if it doesnt come off, check it isn't still attatched to the lower heat shielding around the dump pipe.

4. I) Remove the dump pipe. This will be held on by approx 5x 14mm nuts over the turbo studs. The 4 across the tops and sides are generally easy to get to, however the bottom one can be tricky and can be best approached from underneath the car.

4. II) Jack the front end of the car up on the drivers side jack point, then place a jackstand in a suitable location. You may now have better access to the last dump pipe nuts. While underneath the car, remove the dump pipe bracket which is secured to the gearbox. Lastly, while under the car you can either remove the dump pipe completely or may have enough room to push it back and hook the flange over something to be clear of the turbo area.

4. III) Whilst underneath, remove the upper spring clamp from the turbo oil drain hose.

5. Remove the oil feed to the turbo. The feed is a 14mm banjo bolt on the top of the turbo and a 17mm on the cylinder head. The 17mm feed bolt can be difficult to get to, do not be tempted to bend the feed out of the way as it can cause breakage and choke points. Once the 17mm feed bolt is loosened, you can let the feed line tilt out of the way. Replace crush washers and use the oppertunity to replace feed line with a braided flexible feed for future ease.

6. Remove coolant lines. Remove the coolant hose connecting the turbo water feed and header tank. Clamp whilst attatched to the header tank still to prevent leakage. Remove the water drain hose which is located on the bottom of the turbo, closest to the chassis rail. Usually shrouded with a heat proofing sheath. Be wary of any water leaked during this process.

7. Remove plastic/silicone intake tract from the snout of the turbo. Usually only need to loosen the hose clamp over the snout. Also be sure to remove the wastegate and compressor cover vaccuum lines if not done already.

8. Remove turbo mounting nuts. Use a 14mm socket and extension to remove the 3 nuts from the studs. Be wary that in some cases, the up-pipe might not have studs but bolts instead to secure the turbo.

9. Remove turbo. The turbo can be stubborn to remove as it will still be attatched to the oil drain hose. A good pull upwards will dislodge the turbo from this hose.

10. To replace turbo, follow these steps in reverse order. Done!

Notes for turbo replacement:

Be sure to replace all gaskets with genuine items if possible. Part numbers are as follows:

Turbo inlet: 44022AA150
Turbo outlet: 44022AA180

Use a muffler sealant putty to secure the gaskets and to obtain a good seal.

UP-PIPE REMOVAL STEPS IN CONJUNCTION WITH TURBO REMOVAL STEPS

Posted Image

Extra tools needed:

- 12mm Socket

1. With car raised, remove the driver side exhaust manifold heat shield, 4x 12mm bolts.

2. Remove the 2x 14mm bolts holding the bottom up-pipe flange to the exhaust manifold.

3. From the top of the engine bay, remove the up-pipe support bracket via the 14mm bolt holding it to the cylinder head. (May be a second 14mm bolt holding the bracket to the engine block)

4. Pull up-pipe out from the top of the engine bay.

5. To replace, follow above steps in reverse.

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#2 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:38 AM

Mate, great write-up :D

I was going to do one in a few weeks when I replace the twins but I no longer need to :D

Love the tips too! I always end up getting messy with the tools then getting cranky when I can't find a socket I had 5 mins prior LOL.

#3 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

Nice one Jimbo.

One rep point to you.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#4 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:27 PM

Ill be doing up an engine removal DIY tonight :)

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#5 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 16 July 2011 - 06:37 PM

great write up jim !

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg