aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts
  • Interests:Regulating

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:41 PM

Posted Image

The Subaru WRX will come as an entirely new sport coupe with an STI variant with WRC ambitions

Subaru will be introducing the next WRX in 2014 as an entirely separate model from the Impreza range.

The WRX will become a sport coupe of its own with a very different design from the new Impreza. The two models will continue to share a platform but the upcoming WRX will have a shortened wheelbase for better handling.

Says a Subaru source to Motor Trend:

"The first thing you must understand about our all-new WRX is that we have developed it from the ground up to win in motorsports events. That's why we have focused so heavily on weight issues, not to mention a shorter wheelbase that permits faster, more precise turn-in. Marry that to our proven AWD system, and we think we have a winner."

The WRX will also feature a variant STI upon which a future WRC rally car will be based - a competition which Subaru plans to return to.

The standard 2014 Subaru WRX will likely feature a 1.6 liter turbocharged boxer unit with around 270 PS (199 kW / 266 bhp), although Subaru is also working on a twin-charged supercharger system.

The WRX STI variant will feature that same powerplant setup dialed up to around the 304 PS (224 kW / 300 bhp) mark for a true WRC-linked road rager

More reading at Motor Trend Here: Subaru WRX and Impreza Going Separate Ways

This info and more can be found at: http://www.worldcarfans.com

: My Liberty :

signature_1_35.jpg

#2 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:50 PM

WRC ambitions? Huzzah!

#3 AussieTemplar

AussieTemplar

BMW driver on a Subaru forum

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 07:59 PM

The future sounds so futuristic.. I don't know if I like it.

EHUf263.jpg?3

Get out of my thread.

#4 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:13 PM

interesting to see how credible this is. i don't see subaru lasting another 3 years on the current wrx model just giving it revamps.

also 1.6litre turbo? i don't think that is a motorsport class on its own (eg 2.0). interesting nevertheless.

MY07 GT spec B

#5 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:25 PM

from Motor Trend:

"Remember the drama around removing the "Skyline" prefix from the GT-R when the all-new supercar debuted in late 2007? Well, it looks like nomenclature surgery is about to happen again, only this time Subaru is doing the separating. That's right, the Impreza and famed WRX -- joined at the hip since 1992 -- are going their separate ways.

While the new production Impreza debuted at this year’s New York Auto Show, the next WRX will take a completely different path of development and will not surface until 2014. We know this because

In the past week, we have learned from a source just how different the new WRX will be to the Impreza, employing totally different components.

This image, revealing how one artist sees the new WRX, depicts a new coupe model with a shorter wheelbase and heavy-duty bodywork It's important to note that this is just one vision of the new car, it may turn out to look much different. Our source also tells us Subaru bosses haven't decided if the WRX name will survive. For the time being, we'll refer to it as WRX.

“Apart from a few nuts and bolts, every part on the WRX will be unique. Even the engine and body. Obviously the WRX’s platform will be inherited from the new Impreza, but it will be radically modified and significantly shortened,” says our source.

From now on, the Impreza will be the company's core model, boasting a fuel-efficient, naturally aspirated 2.0-liter boxer engine. The car's wheelbase has been slightly lengthened, while the A-pillar has been brought forward to maximize interior space and comfort levels. At this point, it is unclear if Subaru will attempt an Impreza-based performance model to bridge the gap until the new WRX arrives, but it appears unlikely.

"Up until now, the Impreza and WRX used many common parts, which translated into entry-level Imprezas that were over-engineered," the source continued. The basic chassis and suspension had to employ certain parts needed for the WRX. That drove costs up, and many entry-level customers did not want or understand the significance of such high-tech parts, stresses our insider.

The WRX, on the other hand, will employ the very best from Subaru's parts bin, starting with an updated version of the company's rally-proven AWD system and a turbocharged boxer engine.

"The first thing you must understand about our all-new WRX is that we have developed it from the ground up to win in motorsports events. That's why we have focused so heavily on weight issues, not to mention a shorter wheelbase that permits faster, more precise turn-in. Marry that to our proven AWD system, and we think we have a winner," explains our source.

If you look at the Sebastien Loeb's multiple-championship-winning Citroen C4 in the World Rally Championship, you can see where Subaru is coming from -- or going to. They want to build a WRX that can beat the Citroen while still offering driving enthusiasts something special for their garages. The company has pulled out of WRC, but with the new WRX, a return looks possible. Above the WRX, Subaru will still offer a low-production flagship STI, a model our source calls a "race car for the road."

"Obviously the rally model will be based on the top-of-the-line STI car, but unlike previous Impreza WRXs, this new WRX will be more hard-core and less forgiving on bumpy road surfaces," adds our source. Collaboration with Toyota on the FT-86 project also seems to have something to do with the direction of the new WRX and STI. "If the truth be known, we were able to focus so deeply on the motorsports element with the new WRX because we developed a sister car with the Toyota FT-86. Bosses gave us permission to go all out because that car exists," says our insider.

Our source also revealed what is going on in the bowels of Subaru's R&D. On the short list for the WRX’s powerplant is a turbocharged 1.6-liter boxer pumping as much as 270 hp, and a twin-charger system involving a supercharger is being tested as well. The car’s body is rumored to be a little bigger than a Toyota Yaris, while its tread width is said to expand significantly. As for the STI, we are told that the flagship will also employ the WRX’s 1.6-liter boxer turbo, but that the engine will be reworked to generate upwards of 300 hp for motorsport competitiveness.

Subaru bosses see the new WRX initially competing in domestic rallies and gymkhanas, but they are also targeting Europe's World Touring Car Championships as well as the long-awaited return to the WRC."

signature_1_35.jpg

#6 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

They do make a good point with the over engineering for the base model impreza's

I guess some are gonna love it, some are Gonna hate it.

From what I see I like.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#7 burgs

burgs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 09:07 PM

Hoping the final production model looks very different to that concept :scratch_one-s_head:

Subaru seem to be heading in the wrong direction with all their models of late. The only decent thing they have done is the Wide Body WRX B)

#8 alcheMist

alcheMist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:23 PM

Here's to more WRC views in hope of a triumphant return to the scene. Can't wait. Also that concept is a box of ugly

#9 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 10:40 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

signature_1_35.jpg

#10 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:28 AM

I must have my beer glasses on cause I think it looks tough.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#11 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 12:01 PM

Agreed. I want one.

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

#12 dflux4

dflux4

------------------------

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 01:37 PM

front and rear look tought but the side shot not so much....

Will be very interesting to see the finished product and a return to the WRC!
vroom vroooommmm

Im a street racer...

#13 Jimbo

Jimbo

Livin' the Legacy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:45 PM

i would be dismissing those pictures, they've been around for years!

'04 Liberty GT Premium "The Sprog Chariot"

#14 alexGT

alexGT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 05:48 PM

i would be dismissing those pictures, they've been around for years!

yup.. thats the same wrx badge off my model :D

MY07 GT spec B

#15 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 06:07 PM

there are actually no official picture or renderings yet :)

signature_1_35.jpg

#16 Steveee

Steveee

LowBACK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:12 PM

The picture from the side looks pretty horrible, Still in love with the current wrx ^_^

Posted Image

#17 XXB4XX

XXB4XX

Gn IV GT / No longer B4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  • Interests:None

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:20 PM

I back it, the car actually looks like a tough rally car! kinda like the original Lancia rally cars actually.

#18 Dropz

Dropz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:22 PM

That is also a GRID picture, not a Subaru concept picture.
Built not bought, a way of life.

#19 aekOne

aekOne

Boss Pelican

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,349 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:29 PM

there are actually no official picture or renderings yet :)

signature_1_35.jpg

#20 twinturbosubaru

twinturbosubaru

Trusted Member

• Administrators
  • PipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

Looking forward to the changes actually, 2014 is a looooong way off though, I too am not sure the current model even with face-lifts can last that long, although I do really like the current model shape, so much I would buy one if given the chance.
The front of that concept does look great though, not sure about the back, but for rallying it's got creds with that design IMHO, plenty of reasons why it would work, the simple concept of a wheel at each corner is just the beginning on that shape really.

Paul
GEN4 Black Liberty 3.0R Spec B Wagon
GEN1 Red Mica RS Liberty - Stock factory original

Love is a Legacy, Liberty, etc......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users