#1 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:19 AM

G'day kids,

I figured I'd throw this up here while I'm not busy at work. If you want the full 5.4 Marv Cinematic Experience, read this while listening to some classic '70s rock (suggestions inculde Led Zep's Achilles Last Stand and Whole Lotta Love, Lynyrd Skynyrd's Free Bird & Simple Man, and once you get to the short motor, some Tiny Dancer for those tender moments involving sump guards). Read on, kids - I MAKE LEARNING FUN!

So we've got a 1995 STi Type RA EJ20G with a dead big-end bearing. This proceedure is much the same for pretty much any EJ20, though later motors with AVCS use 8mm Allen keys to hold their cam wheels on, which can be fun to get undone. I'm presuming a few things here - 1. you've got the motor on a stand, 2. the intake manifold is off, 3. the crank bolt is undone (do it in the car, in 4th gear)

This be thine motor
Posted Image

First step is to rip off the rocker covers. Note: they're ROCKER covers, not rocket covers FFS. This one also has it's timing covers removed, which are a bunch of 10mm bolts
Posted Image

Hello, camshafts! Once the rocker covers are off, slide a shifting spanner over the squared-off notch in the cams to hold the cam while undoing the cam wheel nut
Posted Image

See those pairs of bolts holding the caps over the cams? You need to remove them to pull the cams out.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Once the caps are gone, you can wiggle the cams straight out
Posted Image

Camshafts, begone! Nice buckets :) On the top of the motor, undo your water crossover pipe and ALL coolant lines.
Posted Image

You now need a 14mm socket - not a hex socket, a 32-sided one - to get the head bolts out. I've placed a cam there to demonstrate its positioning. You need to get in with a torch and hunt the head bolts as they're hidden in water galleries, behind shit under shit over shit shit shit shit!
Posted Image

Once you've taken 4 out each side, you should see this:
Posted Image

And have a lump of metal resembling something like the below in your hands.
Posted Image

Closed deck block with factory forged pistons
Posted Image

This is an open deck EJ20 from an 01 Foz GT
Posted Image

From here, I don't have pics as I had a Photobucket meltdown a while back and lost the pics. I will get more as soon as I can...

Once you've got a short motor, to split the block you need to do a bit more work and this is where a good cordless impact drill with sockets is worth its weight in gold. You'll also need a deep 24mm socket, pliers, a breaker bar, a long screwdriver or 2, a punch and I'm sure I've forgotten other things...

Firstly, remove the engine mounts, oil pump, water pump, tensioner, etc off the bottom/front of the motor.

Next, the sump, oil pickup and sump guard off the bottom of the block. You'll need 10mm, 12mm sockets.

Oil pickup
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next, remove the oil cooler (under the oil filter) using the 24mm deep socket. You can now remove all the oil and coolant lines left on the motor.

Undo the caps/inspection bolts on the front and back of the block.
front (shit shot, i know) - see the hex cap inline with the cylinder? Halfway down the block. Yeah, that mothersucker...
Posted Image

Back
Posted Image

Once you've got them undone, you can see the piston wristpins. Spin the motor over so you can see each one. Undo the circlip on the piston and use a punch to knock the pin out from the opposite side. I'll take some pics of how to do this next time i get a short motor in the shed. When you actually do it, you can see how easy it is.

Final step is to undo all the case bolts. There's a whole bunch of 'em across the top, under the bottom and in the bellhousing (behind the flywhee) and down the front. Look carefully for them all as you'll undoubtably miss one or two. After that, you should be able to split the block into halves, with the crank and rods coming out the middle.

Posted Image
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#2 xSMOKEx

xSMOKEx

Trusted Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:cars cars and um more cars

Posted 19 July 2011 - 09:41 AM

great read up mate :)
Posted Image

#3 fatcat67

fatcat67

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,206 posts
  • Interests:I'm too old to remember.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 10:31 AM

Hahahaha, you must have made your deadline Ian and now have a couple spare minutes on your hands.
Nice write up.
Now lets see the re-assembly. :ph34r:
As Tony Montana would say:
In this country, you gotta make the money first.
Then when you get the money, you get the power.
Then when you get the power, then you get the women.

#4 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

haha, yep deadline finally done (thank Christ!)

Reassembly? Dude, I only handle the breaking and the stripping of EJ20s :P :D

We'll have to bust out the DSLR when Alex puts his short motor together - his garage is a lot cleaner than mine so I don't mind getting the camera gear out in there!

I'll also do one on splitting a 5MT 'box :) Got a lot of How Tos saved on Marvin's Ye Olde Computorial Computer-like Device
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#5 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

Great write-up Marv :)

Looking forward to the 5MT DIY too as I've got a buggered one in the shed that I'm keen to pull apart to see what went wrong in the bastard.

#6 Marv

Marv

Rapist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:26 PM

Thanks dude.

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Posted Image
Pork Hunt Motorsport

Posted Image

#7 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:29 PM

Good write up :) also keen on the 5MT one, you won't need two gearbox's Grant, i'm sure we can work something out ;)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#8 Grant

Grant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,063 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

Mmm stripped it good Marv!
Mine was a suspected front diff, and there were metal filings all through the gearbox oil, can't wait to see the carnage.
I'm sure we can Mark ;)

#9 Xon

Xon

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 01:35 PM

That's a good looking 4MT now...

I would have gone to the kitchen, collected a brown bag, dropped my dacks, pinched off a loaf in said bag, done up dacks, stickytaped bag, placed bag in envelope, and mailed it right to your face for being such a tool.

It's ok, sometimes when we herp, we also derp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users