thatTTguy

This isn't where I parked my car..

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:Trials, Snowboarding, Automobiles

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:04 PM

Hey all :)

As of saturday morning, my car(TT B4) has been making a weird noise when starting. It isnt taking any longer or shorter when kicking over but after the engine has started it makes a noise(which to me sounds like the starter motor isnt disengaging straight away as its like i've continued trying to start it, but its not so loud) and it does this for about 1-3 seconds then it stops and everything is fine...i hope...It also does this regardless of being cold or warm/hot.

Has anyone come across this problem, or have an idea as to what it could possibly be as it has me worried(though any unusal noise gets me worried lol)

Thanks
Adam

#2 Delete This Account

Delete This Account

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,635 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:09 PM

Maybe post a video of the noise mate, is that's possible? It will definitely help with the diagnosis.

#3 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

Hey mate, I get a similar thing with my car sometimes. Miles from AM Auto said that it's caused by the bushes in the starter motor getting too hot because they are so close to the secondary (?) turbo.

This is on a gen 2 TT so it may be a different set up on the B4's.

Good luck getting it sorted :)

#4 thatTTguy

thatTTguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

Maybe post a video of the noise mate, is that's possible? It will definitely help with the diagnosis.

Yep can do Walts, ill get on it when i finish work tonight.

Hey mate, I get a similar thing with my car sometimes. Miles from AM Auto said that it's caused by the bushes in the starter motor getting too hot because they are so close to the secondary (?) turbo.

This is on a gen 2 TT so it may be a different set up on the B4's.

Good luck getting it sorted :)

Hey Jesse, hmm might be a possiblity.....but it does it from cold in the morning and still does it after its all warmed up...
But thanks :) hopeuflly nothing to bad lol.

#5 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

Yeah my one does it hot and cold mate, the heat from the turbos actually over heat the bushes in the starter motor, and causes issues.

I quite often get the starter motor just clicking a few times and then it cranks.

#6 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

Bushes or Brushes? coz they are different things. with out hearing the noise id say you have clutch dust on the pinion shaft and its causing it to stay in a bit longer, needs a rebuild/clean
Posted Image

#7 Guest_Jesse_*

Guest_Jesse_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

Ahh thanks, yeah I do mean brushes. This is coming from a conversation over a year ago however,

#8 thatTTguy

thatTTguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:10 PM

sooooo, i left for work and it made the noise when starting again, plus a bunch of times before that, I get home get the camera out set it all up to record, and wow...my car has stage fright, the noise has completely stopped <_< I guess thats a good thing, though could it also be a bad thing....
Maybe it was what Jovi was saying, and it must have fixed itself....

Either way thanks all for helping out :drinks:

Adam

#9 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:46 PM

I had this drama about a month ago.

Pull starter motor off.

Pull apart the starter solenoid, clean it up with petrol. There'll be a shedload of dust/carbon/clutch friction material.
I also went over the contacts with a wire brush, and cleaned them up.

I didn't bother pulling apart the motor itself.

I marinated both the motor and the starter in inox (that stuff is gold. buy some!)

Left it to drip dry, bolted back it in, and has been gold since. I can even hear it starting cleaner and stronger, and with less turns.

Posted Image

#10 Jovi

Jovi

When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Interests:When one set of Twins is Just not enough.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

sooooo, i left for work and it made the noise when starting again, plus a bunch of times before that, I get home get the camera out set it all up to record, and wow...my car has stage fright, the noise has completely stopped <_< I guess thats a good thing, though could it also be a bad thing....
Maybe it was what Jovi was saying, and it must have fixed itself....

Either way thanks all for helping out :drinks:

Adam

Could have just cleared a path for its self, but best is get it cleaned or if you want to pull it down take apart and clean same some moeny...the only thing that does go wrong with Subaru starters is brushes get worn over time and when it start to click people push it to far and burn the starter very rare that the bushes go but then it grinds really bad...

Keep us posted how you go.
Posted Image

#11 thatTTguy

thatTTguy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:35 PM

Ok.....lol so i started her up again this morning and thought oh what the hell i record it just for fun, and all went well and good, no funny noises.... moved her to the middle of the carport(So i had more light to play round with my stereo amp levels), then an hour or so later went to leave for work and surprise surprise...the noise was back again, obviously because i wasnt recording...

Hmmm so anyway looks like i've just found something useful to do this weekend instead of drinking, though i do have a few questions as to how difficult it is to pull the starter motor off/out. I'm pretty confident with doing things though ive never actually done it before so any helpfull tips would be much appreciated :)

Thanks
Adam

Edit: Not sure if it helps in any way but just a reference i have 75k km's on it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users