Photo

gen 3 tailshaft, are the uni joints replaceable?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:36 PM

I am getting a shudder from the driveline reverberating through the car at certain speeds under acceleration. I think the tailshaft is probably the cause, it has done 250,000ks and is probably getting a bit worn.
Does anyone know if I can replace the uni joints, or are they the non rebuildable kind?
I havn't bothered to find out how much a new tailshaft would be from subaru, I'll undoubtedly leave the dealership choking on my own rage and disbelief.

#2 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:02 PM

AFAIK, they're not replaceable.

Cheapest way out is to chuck in another second hand one in.
Proper way to fix it would be to take it in to Hardy Spicer and get them to sort it out. Usually by cutting out the joints, and replacing them with replaceable units.

Sydney
37a Heathcote Road
Moorebank New South Wales, 2170

Telephone: (02) 9600 6333
Facsimile: (02) 9602 1947

Email: terry.blad@hardyspicer.com.au
Customer Service:
Manager: Terry Blad (0400 060 229)
Hydraulics: Gary Dyer
Driveshafts: Ricky Parker (0429 657 156)
Sales Rep: David Robinson (0408 750 069)

#3 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:05 PM

Mine has had work done by a place down in the gong I think. Alexxx should be able to fill you in. Or at least I think it did cos it has a sticker on it. I'll see the sign tomorrow and be able to tell you the company name!

I'm with Alex, I remember being told they are unserviceable units.

Posted Image

#4 tmh983

tmh983

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:37 PM

i've had some stuff done at 'daniel engineering' before, I think they are pretty good with drive shafts in the gong.
Unless I could get one from a very low k wreck, i wouldn't risk getting a 2nd handy.

Alex, any idea how much it would cost to get the uni's cut out and replaced?

#5 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 07:31 AM

I was at this point exactly about three or four weeks ago with my STi six speed upgrade.
The tailshaft supplied to me wasn't fitting, and I had to source a Gen2 Auto tailshaft.

Dilemma was to either take my manual shaft into Hardy Spicer and see them there (to shorten and replace uni's with serviceable units)
(mates rates was going to be around the $300 mark at a guesstimate)

or

Go all pov spec, and get a second handy Gen2 Auto shaft. (which also was going to be a similar $300 mark)

My budget was starting to run low, so I opted for the pov spec option, when a mate got me a tailshaft much cheaper than that :)

Works brilliantly so far (no skids yet!)

#6 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:15 AM

I would be thinking a lot of other stuff will go wrong from doing skids before a two piece tail shaft gives out Alex, she be sweet.

#7 Adam

Adam

Snack down!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,970 posts
  • Interests:Not knowing things about stuff

Posted 19 September 2011 - 08:45 AM

Mine has had work done by a place down in the gong I think. Alexxx should be able to fill you in. Or at least I think it did cos it has a sticker on it. I'll see the sign tomorrow and be able to tell you the company name!

I'm with Alex, I remember being told they are unserviceable units.

The place is called "pro-axle" dunno what they did as Alexxx was the one who did all the work on my car (was once his) all I know is their sticker is on it!

Probably useless info. But I guess it's another name to throw around.

Posted Image

#8 Alex

Alex

NO AIDS

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:16 AM

I would be thinking a lot of other stuff will go wrong from doing skids before a two piece tail shaft gives out Alex, she be sweet.

Funny story.

Some of the RSLC boys will remember Az and his Gen2 H6 with GT40R (or was it a GT42R? anyways. it was a turbo big enough to reverse the earth's rotation). Long story short: he went to do a skid and....BANG! Car went nowhere.

It was the tailshaft that had failed. They have a narrowing that is solid, only a couple of centimetres. It had sheered perfectly off.
My car won't be making the same kind of power as a H6 with a turbo off of the starship enterprise, but it's interesting to see where the compromises were in a Gen2 with a six speed and R180 setup. Other common AFAIK, failures were driveshafts, but I'm sure they were only running R160 diffs and shafts. (that's a story for another thread ;))

Pro axle don't appear to make custom shafts, but more so a 4WD and truck alignment place. Worth a crack especially when you're local.

Else, try Ricky at Hardy Spicer. He knows his shafts.

#9 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 19 September 2011 - 09:39 AM

HAH! crazy, I would not have thought that but I do stand corrected!

What kind of power did that thing end up making? would have been an awesome bit of kit to own.

#10 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:09 PM

I guess a snapped shaft would be preferable to other driveline failures.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users