#1 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Music, Sport, Beer, Wimin

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:10 PM

Hey guys,

Ive got problems with an EJ22 piece of crap. I recently finished doing an engine swap in my gen 2 cause the old motor was stuffed. I replaced the motor with a (what i suspect to be) gen 1 motor. Got it running and took it to my mechanic to iron out some bugs. Ran beautifully when i got it back last week. The car has sat for a week whilst i sorted out the flat battery. So, only thing thats changed since last week is i recharged the battery.

Now, the car didnt want to start at all, put some more petrol in and it ran but on 3 cylinders. Hold it to around 2000rpm and it picks up all 4. But whilst holding a steady throttle the motor hunts a bit.

I checked the engine codes and I didnt get a flash sequence. The CEL light was on and not flashing.

So, maybe the fuel filter is blocked from dragging sludgy shit from the bottom of the tank? Probably completely wrong but Im terrible at fault finding on motors.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Ash.

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#2 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 05:15 AM

Still got this?? Ha ha :)

Dirty fuel Injectors, or faulty plugs and leads.

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#3 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

If you can get to the injectors, get someone to hold the revs so it will miss and then disconnect one at a time till you find the offending cylinder.
Swap the leads with a good cylinder and test again.
If the miss follows the leads, then its a dodgy lead. Replace all leads.

If you can't get to the injectors to isolate the cylinders, then use the ignition leads. Don't zap yourself.
You could also check for spark at the plug end of the lead.

Remember an engine needs three things to run; spark, fuel (air&fuel) and compression.
Start with one system and eliminate all possibilities before moving to the next, and you'll get there.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#4 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

Mark, I have another car now. Its proper JDM too :P. If I get the lib up and running i could have it sold on monday. Funny thing is, those three things you mentioned were swapped over to get it running nicely.

RX25SE, Thanks mate, ill try them in a few days. With the injectors, you say to "swap the leads"? Can you explain further?

You'd think that if I can fix a piston engine on a plane I could fix this!

Previous: 97 Gen 2 Liberty wagon, 89 NA MX5, 88 Toyota Cresta. Current: 04 turbo MX5, 02 Foz GT.

#5 B4TT

B4TT

Soviet Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39,547 posts
  • Interests:Rodina-Mat

Posted 08 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

Leads from the coil pack to the spark plugs.

So using randoms here, if Cyl 1 is missing and you swap the leads for 1 and 3, 3 then misses and 1 does not you know that the lead is stuffzored.

#6 Scuba-Roo

Scuba-Roo

The local

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,960 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 11:16 AM

Mad ash what'd you get?? Im looking at getting myself some turbo 4wd JDM aswell ;)

Subyclub, The place where random internet weirdos become good mates

#7 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:59 PM

It was a dead ignition lead. Took me 2 seconds. Car still drive like shit cause thats what it is.

It runs on 3 under 1500rpm intermittently, happens mostly in first, and the temp gauge is trying to act as a rev counter its moving about so much.

Got back form a 10 min drive with dad and I noticed the temp rising while I was cruising along, had to stop to turn then it just went fuckin nuts and was rising very rapidly. Put the aircon on so the fans would activate, which they did and that subsided it. Got in the drive, turned off the A/C and let it idle for about 20 seconds to monitor it and off it went almost immediately, so i turned it off. Looked at the overflow tank and that was almost over flowing. Head gasket mcfucked? If so ill just burn the freakin thing.

The rough running i can handle, probably gummed up injectors and needs a good drive and some UEC. But yeah, no point driving it if its mcfugged.

Mark, refer to my sig. Thenn google image, then feel sorry for me its not a 1/2JZ (yet ;))

#8 RX25SE

RX25SE

...............Car nerd................ now a H6 pilot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,751 posts
  • Interests:Cars with chrome bumpers!

Posted 08 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

Sounds like head gasket to me.

If I told you I was a compulsive liar, would you believe me?

#9 N/A_EJ22

N/A_EJ22

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 582 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:01 AM

Thanks mate. Ive taken it to my mechanic to confirm thats the issue. Chatting on the phone he thinks it probably is though :(.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users